I worked in the caring sector all my working life, both for the NHS and Social Services.

Theres no way I would let anyone I didn’t know (and even many I do know) use our static.

If that makes me unfriendly and uncaring, well, I can live with that 🤷‍♀️

• I agree completely 3
9 hours ago, Old Chimers said:

Wow, it must be difficult going through life with so little trust for your fellow human beings. As I said earlier, the response had already been overwhelmingly negative, but you still felt the need to pour scorn on the idea. Bravo.

If you'd asked I could have explained how easy it would be to ensure it was only deserving ICU nurses that benefit (and that is where I personally would draw the line), but I'd clearly be wasting my time.

Glad I raised the idea though as I've at least learned one thing  on the evidence of this thread, the caravanners of today are seemingly not the almost entirely friendly breed I remember them being when we sold our last 'van 18 years ago. I hope we don't live to regret rejoining the 'club'.

Stay safe everyone.

Sincerely hope your in-laws pull through @Mr Plodd

you asked for a response to your idea, you got one and you have to respond by verbally attacking the poster, not nice.

• I agree completely 4

17 hours ago, Old Chimers said:

I guess that's a fairly resounding no then. 

I completely understand your motives for considering offering your caravan for the use of NHS staff in need of a well earned break, and I believe it to be a very generous gesture. Unfortunately there are numerous pitfalls as listed in this thread that indicate there are probably much better ways of supporting our NHS staff - the most obvious one being sumarised by the post copied below. I wish you well and hope that as CT members, we will all be seen to be doing our part to support the NHS  at this difficult time.

On 14/01/2021 at 10:11, hawkaye said:

IMO, the best help for the NHS is to do our absolute utmost not to get infected.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

On 14/01/2021 at 00:18, JanandJay said:

I will tomorrow 

What was the result? "Computer says no." or something else?

3 minutes ago, Legal Eagle said:

What was the result? "Computer says no." or something else?

Sorry for late reply. Forgot all about posting.

If I choose to go down that path, basically my premium will go up. Not a lot but an increase. 

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

We have a neighbour who works for the NHS and seems to be quite well paid. There is no way they would holiday in a caravan, preferring hotels, going abroad and also to their holiday home in Spain.

As for lending out a new caravan costing around £20k or more, it would depreciate about £2k a year and with 12 months use by others would likely suffer quite a bit so depreciate a lot more. If wanting to lose so much then a better way as suggested by others would be to set up a fund with that amount of money to fund holidays for others.

17 hours ago, Old Chimers said:

Wow, it must be difficult going through life with so little trust for your fellow human beings. As I said earlier, the response had already been overwhelmingly negative, but you still felt the need to pour scorn on the idea. Bravo.

If you'd asked I could have explained how easy it would be to ensure it was only deserving ICU nurses that benefit (and that is where I personally would draw the line), but I'd clearly be wasting my time.

Glad I raised the idea though as I've at least learned one thing  on the evidence of this thread, the caravanners of today are seemingly not the almost entirely friendly breed I remember them being when we sold our last 'van 18 years ago. I hope we don't live to regret rejoining the 'club'.

Thats a poor opinion to have when you have started a topic to ask peoples thoughts on donating their caravan for strangers to use. So did you only want positive answers from folk who loved the idea?

I stand by what I said, no way would I let anyone use my caravan, but I would contribute to a charity/collection to allow those ICU staff to have a free holiday somewhere in the UK. I really don't see what is wrong with that stance???

I wish you well with letting strangers use your brand new caravan, but it is something I would never do, and consider it to be a potentially expensive mistake for you. But I hope it's not.

Edited by JCCD
  • I agree completely 2

No way I would lend my caravan to anyone I didn’t know well (and trust :rolleyes: )

Far to big an investment to risk.

• I agree completely 1

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

Couple of years ago we met up with friends at Sandy Bay where they have a static. 
They were telling us the van next door to theirs is occasionally let out by the owners to their family. On 2 occasions it has been trashed. Yes by the family. 
I can see your intentions are honourable, but you have no idea about other peoples intentions. 

Where I store my van there used to be a motorhome depot. The stories and seeing first hand some of the motorhomes at how they were returned would make you eyes water. 
Some of those motorhomes weren't cheap ones either

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

Additionally, as well as neglectful damage being caused, such as leaving sky lights open when going out for the day and it starts to rain etc..........I would also be expecting phone calls from the strangers in your caravan ringing you throughout their stay asking how things work, why is there no hot water, why isn't the toilet flushing anymore, why doesn't the cooker hob ignite,.... and all the other little quirky things that happen to even experienced caravaners.

Within weeks I reckon the caravan would be wrecked, even if accidental damage. 

23 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

No way I would lend my caravan to anyone I didn’t know well (and trust :rolleyes: )

Far to big an investment to risk.

I've had good friends ask if they can use my caravan and the answer each time was a definite 'No'. And that was my last caravan that was about 15 yrs old. Good friendships can be lost when damage is discovered, they deny it and are offended that you are accusing them etc... or you don't say anything but bear a grudge against them for their neglect.

Edited by JCCD
  • I agree completely 1
7 hours ago, JanandJay said:

Sorry for late reply. Forgot all about posting.

If I choose to go down that path, basically my premium will go up. Not a lot but an increase. 

I was just intrigued to know so thank you for replying. Typical insurer, any excuse to make a few quid!

7 minutes ago, Legal Eagle said:

I was just intrigued to know so thank you for replying. Typical insurer, any excuse to make a few quid!

After the Supreme Court ruling earlier today the insurance companies are going to use every possible avenue to increase their income stream :)

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

On 13/01/2021 at 22:45, Old Chimers said:

I have no idea what the response to this will be . . .

I believe it is fair to say that having asked the question, you now have your answer. I've just scrolled through this thread and so far by my calculation 15 or 16 members say they would not lend their caravan, while 3 or 4 (including yourself) say maybe or yes.

Most here appreciate your thoughts but believe there are better ways to show your appreciation. Ultimately it will be your decision so I just hope you don't end up regretting it if you do go ahead.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

While I can sort of appreciate the OPs sentiment, I would be another who definitely wouldnt subscribe.

While my job has been in no way under the same pressure as the NHS staff on the frontline of the Covid outbreak, I am probably still in the 'key worker' category.

And I get paid for my job. 

So I can afford to pay for whatever style of holiday I choose, assuming I am allowed by Boris to take a holiday. Just as i have done for years, and will continue to do in future.

I have a number of friends employed by the NHS  who are variously GP's, A&E junior doctors, nurses and paramedics. They all do the same, take holidays in whatever way suits them. I cant see any of them feeling the need for a 'charity' holiday in a caravan.

• Thanks 1
  • I agree completely 1
On 14/01/2021 at 17:39, Old Chimers said:

Well, not quite unanimous - thank you for your positivity @Mr Ploddand @Jacko1-  but I guess that's a fairly resounding no then. 

May I suggest that you check the repair pages on Facebook. The amount of people who have bought caravans last year, who were asking basic schoolboy questions. This to me is reason not to lend out. What two caravaners take for normal use a non caravaner doesn’t have a clue. Even the basics, water, gas, toilet etc. 

Lunar Zenith Citroen C5 2. 2 HDI Citroen Picasso 1. 6 HDI. , Vauxhall Vectra Design 150 bhp Soon to be, 2014 Sprite Major 4 sr. With ATC.
The Internet has had no effect on my life whatsoever. com

10 hours ago, wigelywoo said:

May I suggest that you check the repair pages on Facebook. The amount of people who have bought caravans last year, who were asking basic schoolboy questions. This to me is reason not to lend out. What two caravaners take for normal use a non caravaner doesn’t have a clue. Even the basics, water, gas, toilet etc. 

we only went out 3 times last year  and you are quite right, even on site the things some people were doing .  One fella had his jockey wheel loose , undone and was pulling the A frame up and down to level the van. Another was using the motor mover and it was only going to one side and I asked if he  had it on properly, did he hear the clunk, he ignored me only to come over later to tell me that he didn't have it on properly.  Hand brakes was the most common error , either on when it should be off or vice versa.  We also noticed that the younger ones don't like being told , seems they like to learn from their own mistakes, so we have stopped that now unless it's really necessary of course,