Retired at last. Will it affect my insurance premiums?

Well today I have become officially retired, I have been working part time for several years so it's not that big a step I suppose. I am now wondering if I need to inform my insurers for car and caravan? Is informing insurers likely to make a difference to the premiums?

On a more serious note SWMBO has a long list of jobs and expects all manner of "home" work now I am a man of leisure. Can't wait :D.

• Like 1

Coachman VIP 575. Mercedes ML 250 auto, One wife, three kids, five Grandkids.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Retirement did not affect my premiums, but reducing my estimated annual mileage did.

Incorrect. You need to advise if your personal circumstances change.

Didn't affect me at the time (I took early retirement to look after hubby).  I only had two years to go anyway.  So officially retired in May 2019.  Anyway, hubby passed away in August 2019, and I wen

5 minutes ago, Stevan said:

Retirement did not affect my premiums, but reducing my estimated annual mileage did.

Good shout, I guess not driving at peak times may also help.

Made no difference to my premiums but now over 70 they increase a little. I can recommend Men In Sheds if you have one locally. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

2 minutes ago, WispMan said:

Made no difference to my premiums but now over 70 they increase a little. I can recommend Men In Sheds if you have one locally. 

Sorry, Men in Sheds?

6 minutes ago, SuperRed said:

Sorry, Men in Sheds?

A system set up to get out of doing all those jobs on SWMBO list ;)

Google it, but note, like camping, is addictive. 

Edit: re car insurance, not commuting, and certainly note using your car for work, so insuring for "social, domestic & pleasure" can save money.

Edited by JTQ

A group of retired men who meet weekly to do things. 

We repair furniture for AgeUK as we are in their 2nd hand furniture warehouse. 

We also make things, doing bird boxes and bat boxes for National Trust, make special Swift boxes for the local Swift group. We interact regularly with primary school children teaching them basic woodworking, we do visits to places, we have our own walking group. We do commissions repairing people's furniture and we are involved in other community groups. We do not work for commercial companies. 

Major part of my life but can't meet during this Covid thingy. Helps loneliness, camaraderie, gives wives a rest from you! 

• Like 2

Graham

There is a group not far from me. When the COVID situation eases I may well take a look. Thanks for the heads up.

1 hour ago, SuperRed said:

Well today I have become officially retired, I have been working part time for several years so it's not that big a step I suppose. I am now wondering if I need to inform my insurers for car and caravan? Is informing insurers likely to make a difference to the premiums?

On a more serious note SWMBO has a long list of jobs and expects all manner of "home" work now I am a man of leisure. Can't wait :D.

Well your car only need to be insured for social ....Domestic....Pleasure....Now ?.....You dont need business to and from work ?..

• I agree completely 1
1 hour ago, WispMan said:

I've been a member of my local men's shed for 2 years now !....It's great ....Blokes Talk and do bloke stuff..

It's an international association...

1 hour ago, SuperRed said:

"Officially Retired" is not something you would find on a list of occupations on the application form at the library. "Part Time for several years" is a status I can't imagine as I retired in one simple stage - Bang, Crash, Wallop.  You havent mentioned your age which is something which may affect things if the number is big enough! :D. As an trainee retiree you need to learn a whole new vocabulary like "undulations". (This is something which inexplicably prevents you from getting a job finished). Oh and "pacing myself" is a good one which defines a slight delay in overcoming for example, the pre operational planning stage of a job. "Feasability" is another cracker - and can be a long and tiring process. You have to get people to understand that things need to be processed through the "thinking it over stage " too. Wisdom cannot be rushed.

• Like 2

Ern

2 hours ago, WispMan said:

A group of retired men who meet weekly to do things. 

We repair furniture for AgeUK as we are in their 2nd hand furniture warehouse. 

We also make things, doing bird boxes and bat boxes for National Trust, make special Swift boxes for the local Swift group. We interact regularly with primary school children teaching them basic woodworking, we do visits to places, we have our own walking group. We do commissions repairing people's furniture and we are involved in other community groups. We do not work for commercial companies. 

Major part of my life but can't meet during this Covid thingy. Helps loneliness, camaraderie, gives wives a rest from you! 

You say about repairing peoples furniture, that is what I thought those of Mens shed did. When I went to my local one they said they did not to anything like that, nor did they help each other with projects.  Like you say, make bird boxes. I've never been back, I thought it was going to be more exciting, I'm sure I'd read or seen something of another group, they did more exciting stuff.

macafee2

3 hours ago, SuperRed said:

Insurance ask your occupation, it has now changed so I guess you should inform them. As for the premium, ask them!

I don't know how I found time to go to work, been busy ever since. It is important to keep busy, perhaps volunteer work or even a zero hour job or a hobby but get out of the house and Talk to people.

My wife and I often went to places of interest, holidays, concerts, theatre, days out walking, DIY, etc. 

Covid has for now put a stop to that but thank goodness for lockdown as we now have something that we were short of, time at home. Big jobs done last year plus time to fettle with my cars.

Retirement, I should have done it even sooner then I did and I retired early.

congratulations on retiring, enjoy it

macafee2

• I agree completely 2

Enjoy your retirement:D

We started ours in 2014, both going early. No regrets lots of travel done, hopefully more to come.

• Like 1

Hyundai Santa Fe+Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

Mini Cooper convertible -fun Car!:)

I have to agree with volunteering and keeping yourself busy. Don't stagnate but also do from time to time, sit down and do very little as it's sometimes good to rest. 

With Men in Sheds, I would say that I have half a dozen good close friends and another dozen I know to speak to. 

A lot of us are ex-manufacturing and we are used to being with groups of other men at work. We miss our colleagues, not the work. For me MIS replaces that camaraderie. I am also President of my customers Trade Association so I keep in contact with my 'industry' twice a year and write a newsletter for them. 

Then there are grandchildren to keep you on your toes. 

Graham

Changing from working (even part time) to full time retirement is what your insurance company will a

most certainly class as “A material change in circumstances” so you are obliged, under the terms of your insurance to notify them. It probably won’t make any difference to your premium, but you do still need to tell them.

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

On our car insurance we are retired but the Certificate of Motor Insurance still includes for cover in connection with our business. Maybe the wording is standard and can not be changed. House insurance might cost less since retired, possibly since we are more likely to be at home than somebody out at work all day.

Could be a standard feature at no extra cost (some car insurers do that) , worth checking though just in case you could save a bit!m

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

When my wife stopped working for a shop, we saved the additional premium for carrying company property during her working day.

Since then we retained the normal SD&P cover for our vehicles that included travel to and from work, but not cariage of goods owned by our employers. 

Retirement made absolutely no difference to the premiums, although as previously mention in this thread, we do have reduced premiums for the MH and the MGTF owing to limited mileage.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

12 hours ago, WispMan said:

shop around as some insurance companies really put the price up  once you reach certain ages

13 hours ago, Ern said:

"Officially Retired" is not something you would find on a list of occupations on the application form at the library. "Part Time for several years" is a status I can't imagine as I retired in one simple stage - Bang, Crash, Wallop.  You havent mentioned your age which is something which may affect things if the number is big enough! :D. As an trainee retiree you need to learn a whole new vocabulary like "undulations". (This is something which inexplicably prevents you from getting a job finished). Oh and "pacing myself" is a good one which defines a slight delay in overcoming for example, the pre operational planning stage of a job. "Feasability" is another cracker - and can be a long and tiring process. You have to get people to understand that things need to be processed through the "thinking it over stage " too. Wisdom cannot be rushed.

I like your style Ern....:D-It sounds like you are enjoying your retirement.

• Thanks 1

I retired 3 years ago and the insurance premiums altered very slightly due to less mileage and lack of commuting.

I know some people love their retirement and very good luck to them but I have hated mine.

It's not that I have nothing to do, grandkids,  new kitchen and bathroom fitted, travel, caravanning, big gardens and then of course all the people who think that their one aim in life is to find things for me to do (for my own good of course)

It's not any of that it is the feeling of being discarded and of no use anymore, that all the knowledge and experience gathered over the years can simply be forgotten now. 

Don't get me wrong it isn't that I loved the job, simply that  I didn't mind it.

I am now coming to terms with it but it is a reaction to retirement that I never anticipated 

W should all be careful what we wish for!

You might get a small drop in premiums if you take commuting out of the cover, if your job was one regarded as high risk then this could also mean a drop in premium. As you age though they can go up  again.

13 minutes ago, robertB said:

I retired 3 years ago and the insurance premiums altered very slightly due to less mileage and lack of commuting.

I know some people love their retirement and very good luck to them but I have hated mine.

It's not that I have nothing to do, grandkids,  new kitchen and bathroom fitted, travel, caravanning, big gardens and then of course all the people who think that their one aim in life is to find things for me to do (for my own good of course)

It's not any of that it is the feeling of being discarded and of no use anymore, that all the knowledge and experience gathered over the years can simply be forgotten now. 

Don't get me wrong it isn't that I loved the job, simply that  I didn't mind it.

I am now coming to terms with it but it is a reaction to retirement that I never anticipated 

W should all be careful what we wish for!

I also liked being retired and I was asked to go back to my job on numerous occasions,  but it was a job where you needed to keep fully up to date at all time.  My OH had retired early some 5 years before me and he was the house husband, it was great, everything done and a meal on the table every night. The problem for us or rather him was that when I retired from work I took over the house and the meals etc. leaving him as the one who felt as if he didn't matter, so it did take a while for us both to adjust . Of course once we were out and about in the van we had our own jobs to do  and it was great.