Driving and towing in Europe in 2021 and the need for a 'Green Card'

The UK has now officially left the European Union, so on January 1st lots of things stayed the same but many changed.  One of those changes was the need when driving anywhere in the EU and satellite states for drivers to have on their person a 'Green Card', this is proof of insurance cover in the event of an accident.

Engineer Aftercare Warranty have created a piece to provide more information at https://engineerinsuranceandaftercare.com/EU-green-card/  But, owners of Cars and Caravans, Trailers, Campervans and Motorhomes (If your towing, you need two!).  As an exercise we applied for my own car from insurer 'LV' to see how easy it was and what was needed to source said Green card.

The good news is that it was relatively easy, and the insurer notified they would send the card next day in 1st class post.  For further clarity, we have added addition links to information pages on the Post office, .Gov and Zurich Insurance.

Martyn Raybould MD

Engineer Aftercare Warranty Ltd 

Opus 1.jpg

When I renewed car insurance with AXA in May, together with the emailed policy documents they enclosed a message about Green Cards together with a telephone number to acquire one.   They also added that if I was towing a trailer, I would need two.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 2

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

We’ve also taken a green card with us to France previously and had no issues requesting this.  It arrived through the post quite quickly too.  I can’t see any problems with this it not being the same now. 

Bergamo

Hi am insured with LV got a green card for the car contacted the with regards to caravan all  they  needed was make and model 

ps , they are not green anymore 

That was one of the easiest things to obtain before EU.  But no one seems to ask if you need the document that lets you travel in Spain.  If you didn't have the specific document, and you then had an accident, you could end up in their jails until the accident was sorted.  I know you were released if it was proved you weren't at fault, but not sure what would happen if you were found guilty

• I disagree 1

Looks like if you do make a slip up and get caught speeding, unless in person on the spot  you won't have to pay the fine. UK aren't now sharing data about cars with EU authorities ,but sadly it works the other way too. Mind our cameras can't read foreign plates can they and there ain't enough police on our roads, We don't travel to Europe but it's all interesting re the Brexit shakedowns.

I am with Churchill and they said they need to know my travel dates before they issue a green card.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

28 minutes ago, IanV8 said:

I am with Churchill and they said they need to know my travel dates before they issue a green card.

Some policies give the same level of cover abroad (for up to 90 days) as it does in the UK.   But some don't - and therefore make an additional charge for full cover if going abroad.   Maybe your Churchill policy doesn't give comprehensive cover automatically therefore they need to know the dates you intend to travel.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com