On 12/01/2021 at 12:41, ianfish said:

I know that many people like to take lots of supplies with them when they travel across the channel, I don't but that's a personal choice there seems to be plenty of shops over there! I wonder how they feel about the new regulations in the EU that mean you cannot take any meat or animal derived products with you from this country when you travel over there. There will be a few glum faces I think?

It's not a problem as far as I'm concerned. Their country = their rules. We are the visitors so are obliged to comply - in the same way I would expect visitors to our shores to respect our conditions of entry.

We all have our preferences but the whole point of foreign travel surely is to experience whatever country we visit has to offer - not to impose our lifestyle upon others. Personally I'm just as happy with coffee and croisants as I am with bacon and eggs, so if the latter is not available, so be it.

• I agree completely 5

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

We have a bacon and egg buttie occasionally at home or in the van in UK.

We normally have cereal or toast, in France normally a fresh baguette with cheese or ham, or cereal. Lunch possibly similar or eat out.

We like the Toulouse Saucisse or some of the good selection of others.

We lived in Germany when  I was in the RAF so love German bratwurst!

Thankfully Aldi and Lidl  do them plus curry sauce!

A lot of people in Germany only bought stuff in the Naafi, ( known as Naafi rip- off shop)  they didn't  want to eat foreign stuff! Naafi actually bought  meat etc in Germany!

There was a much better selection of food in local shops and supermarket.

We were right by the Dutch border, nearby Venlo  had a great market with a massive choice of fresh food, the germans used to go there too.

We had a fabulous butcher by the base,  the lady was very patient with our poor German and would let you try different cooked meats.

I don't  go abroad to have British stuff!

• I agree completely 3

Hyundai Santa Fe+Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

Mini Cooper convertible -fun Car!:)

On 12/01/2021 at 13:07, PMW said:

I'd be more worried if they banned my Yorkshire tea bags. 

83rd birthday this month and in all this time I never realised that tea was grown in Yorkshire!     :Thankyou:

I always thought it came from India.........................Ya certainly live and learn!

Vin Blanc

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It is sometimes better to say nothing and be thought a fool, than to speak out and have it proven!

Frontera 3. 2L V6 4x4 tugging Compass Magnum Classic 540 (quite easily!)

Tripod mounted 57cm "Arcon Multi" prime focus dish - Humax Foxsat HD Recorder.

15 minutes ago, Vin Blanc said:

83rd birthday this month and in all this time I never realised that tea was grown in Yorkshire!     :Thankyou:

I always thought it came from India.........................Ya certainly live and learn!

Vin Blanc

If that surprises you, where do you think Mars bars come from?

• Haha 5

I note according to this morning's newspaper that the EU Commission is currently negotiating to buy 30 million COVID vaccinations being made in Lothian, Scotland. 

Now surely these are animal derived products?

Mercedes E350 CDi AMG Cabriolet, Lunar Freelander 640EW Twin Axle @1700kg

********* Naughty Step Aficionado And Grand Collector Of Naughty Points *********

23 hours ago, Babstreefern said:

Me and OH visited the USA, went to Monroe in Wisconsin.  Whilst there, some American friends we met up with took us to Galena, Illinois, it was a lovely town.  Anyway, I visited a shop, and in there, found Yorkshire Gold Teabags for sale.  I told my friends that Tom used them when he worked at Salford University.  I preferred Twinings All Day:D

I cannot understand why people who go abroad need to take English food with them.  If I want British food, I will stay in England.  When I go abroad, I wouldn't touch British food at all.  I always like to eat what the locals eat, France - French food; Spain - Spanish food, etc, etc.  When you eat pizza in this country, its nothing like the pizzas that you get in Italy.  The same with pasta dishes.  If I see a restaurant anywhere in Europe, selling "British Fish & Chips" or British "Sunday Roasts", you will not find me in those restaurants at all

I totally agree  with everything you say - quite why people see this new food regulation a problem is beyond me.

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium SE 2015 with Lunar Clubman si 2011

Tattoos - who would want to make their body look like the wall in a public urinal - they are going to look amazing on a 75 year old - not!

3 hours ago, Stevan said:

If that surprises you, where do you think Mars bars come from?

Not Uranus surely?  And I always thought them to be so tasty!    :D

OK, – sorry for that one Mr Moderator, couldn’t resist!   Let’s just end it here shall we?

Vin Blanc

Edited by Vin Blanc

It is sometimes better to say nothing and be thought a fool, than to speak out and have it proven!

......the new rules aren't onerous but they will be inconvenient to us :angry:

For the last few years in January (not this year) we have been catching the Portsmouth to Ouistreham ferry that leaves Portsmouth at 15.30hrs and arrives in France at 21.30hrs.

This crossing is considerably cheaper than other times of the day and is our much preferred choice.

We usually clear the Ouistreham port by 22.00 hrs but Brexit might now cause delays...... I've heard that passports are all to be date stamped for instance !

Needless to say the shops in France are shut at that time of day and we usually self cater for food, hot coffee and tea on the journey south.

It will be a search for a late night garage selling milk or it's black coffee till the next day!

• I agree completely 1

Keep active ....be happy...stay safe.

We had freinds with us one winter in Spain who would only drink fresh milk from Yorkshire. They were adament that no other milk was British. Remarkably they found a shop in Oliva which sold fresh Yorkshire milk and Yorkshire tea. 

Ern

We always take our friends from Sheffield some Henderson’s relish when we visit them in Benidorm . 

We were in Salamanca about three years ago & visited the Cathedral ,one of the guys on the desk where we got our tickets asked us if we had any Branston pickle , apparently he loved it , especially the fine one , after living in London for a few years he was an addict . Proves that not all British food is reviled abroad .

Edited by stevew1
  • Like 1

Subaru Outback 2. 0 DSE 2015, Coachman Pastiche 460/2, Lunar Ultima Extra 540,

, Pwrtouch mover, Quest Rolli awning.

2 hours ago, stevew1 said:

We always take our friends from Sheffield some Henderson’s relish when we visit them in Benidorm . 

I think Hendo's (Sheffields black gold) is much more widely available in the UK than it used to be. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can remember travelling to a CCC rally in Holland in which the UK had a severe outbreak of Foot and Mouth.The Dutch had used their cadets for fridge searches.We willingly "gave up" our small amount of opened milk,but he went further and confiscated a bar of Dairy Milk.

He did then turn a blind eye to the bacon and ham in their plastic wrapping.

17 hours ago, WilliamJames said:

Needless to say the shops in France are shut at that time of day and we usually self cater for food, hot coffee and tea on the journey south.

Maybe the on-board shops on the ferries will see a new sales opportunity.

• I agree completely 1

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

20 hours ago, stevew1 said:

We were in Salamanca about three years ago & visited the Cathedral ,one of the guys on the desk where we got our tickets asked us if we had any Branston pickle , apparently he loved it , especially the fine one , after living in London for a few years he was an addict . Proves that not all British food is reviled abroad .

We went to New Zealand and met up with some relatives that we had traced through an ancestry site.  One in Auckland and one in Christchurch, we took them both some Hendersons.  We had to declare them at the airport  (like Worcester sauce  but better was my description) we also had them confiscated by the cruise line when joining the ship until we explained what it was.

• Like 1

I am now completely anosmic and  being unable to smell is not always a bad thing until you come to food!

Oh to be able to smell a bacon sandwich just one more time.

21 hours ago, robertB said:

I am now completely anosmic and  being unable to smell is not always a bad thing until you come to food!

Oh to be able to smell a bacon sandwich just one more time.

Think yourself lucky RobertB.  I have been unable to smell or taste anything for years (due to the tablets I am obliged to take).  I can't even taste the difference between tea and coffee. 

Strangely though, I know straight away if it has no sugar!    :angry:

Vin Blanc

2 minutes ago, Vin Blanc said:

Think yourself lucky RobertB.  I have been unable to smell or taste anything for years (due to the tablets I am obliged to take).  I can't even taste the difference between tea and coffee. 

Strangely though, I know straight away if it has no sugar!    :angry:

Vin Blanc

IIRC, the tongue is only responsible for four tastes, sweet, sour, bitter and salt. All the rest that we consider to be taste are actually smell, albeit from the mouth to the back of the nose, which is why a heavy cold affects taste as much as smell. No surprise therefore that the presence or absence of sugar makes more difference than whether it is tea or coffee.

4 minutes ago, Stevan said:

IIRC, the tongue is only responsible for four tastes, sweet, sour, bitter and salt. All the rest that we consider to be taste are actually smell, albeit from the mouth to the back of the nose, which is why a heavy cold affects taste as much as smell. No surprise therefore that the presence or absence of sugar makes more difference than whether it is tea or coffee.

Thanks for that Stevan - very informative.  That's probably why I always salt my food!

Vin Blanc

22 minutes ago, Stevan said:

It's actually more than that. There is a recently discovered flavour called umami that features in Asian food and is increasingly used over here to replace salt, as we are all supposed to eat less salt too. I haven't put salt on my food since the 1980s, but now find much is too bland for even my taste.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

36 minutes ago, Vin Blanc said:

Strangely though, I know straight away if it has no sugar!    :)

Vin Blanc

It does affect my taste badly as well, but it's not gone completely yet although I have never drank tea or coffee so not a problem there!

Mine is due to nasal surgery a few years ago and has been a slow degeneration since then.

but on the plus side, I can't smell my grandaughters nappies  ;)

41 minutes ago, BFM said:

It's actually more than that. There is a recently discovered flavour called umami that features in Asian food and is increasingly used over here to replace salt, as we are all supposed to eat less salt too. I haven't put salt on my food since the 1980s, but now find much is too bland for even my taste.

Yes, I vaguely remember something like that, but not with enough certainty to include it in my comment. But the basic principle is unchanged.

Edited by Stevan