I know that many people like to take lots of supplies with them when they travel across the channel, I don't but that's a personal choice there seems to be plenty of shops over there! I wonder how they feel about the new regulations in the EU that mean you cannot take any meat or animal derived products with you from this country when you travel over there. There will be a few glum faces I think?

Landrover Freelander 2 towing a Bailey Pegasus IV verona

I'd be more worried if they banned my Yorkshire tea bags. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • I agree completely 1

Mercedes E350 CDi AMG Cabriolet, Lunar Freelander 640EW Twin Axle @1700kg

********* Naughty Step Aficionado And Grand Collector Of Naughty Points *********

The regulations are just new to us as we are now no longer in the EU.

Maybe the wine and beer shops near ports will change over to supplying Brits with the essentials they cant go without as they wont be selling much else with the limits on alcohol.

32 minutes ago, ianfish said:

I know that many people like to take lots of supplies with them when they travel across the channel, I don't but that's a personal choice there seems to be plenty of shops over there! I wonder how they feel about the new regulations in the EU that mean you cannot take any meat or animal derived products with you from this country when you travel over there. There will be a few glum faces I think?

I really don't know what all the fuss is about. The EU is not the only place in the world where the importation of some food products for personal use is banned. I'll just find out what we cannot take and not take it, just like a number of other places. Mountain out of a mole hill springs to mind.

macafee2

• Like 5

Whilst I totaly agree that there are plenty of shops in Europe, consider the logistics of stopping somewhere, with caravan attached, so you can purchase a bottle of milk for that important cup of tea.

You cannot complain that the EU is enforcing their rules, but less than a month ago any food products from the UK could move into Europe without undue issue. 

The bigger issue, how will this affect meat producers who export to the EU.

Maybe the Government should look to introducing similar regulations here. Thoughts ?

1 hour ago, ianfish said:

I wonder how they feel about the new regulations in the EU that mean you cannot take any meat or animal derived products with you from this country when you travel over there.

It's no big deal as far as I'm concerned.   Previously I've taken a couple of frozen ready meals with me which I'd prepared previously at home.     Having done a day's driving after leaving the morning ferry, it was handy to be able to remove a tray from the freezer and stick it in the microwave.   But there are alternatives.   Within a couple of days there's time to do shopping in the supermarkets.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

As said above the only problem will be having to set up then pop out to do a shop after a long days travelling most sites have a small shop  for milk bread etc if you know the Where you are going to end up you might be able order ahead of your arrival don’t fancy taking a caravan into a super market car park

Usually get into France and drive through the night will probably book a site for a night do a shop then move on

5 hours ago, PMW said:

I think they are banned. As I understand it affects all food. You can get tea in France though.  

• Sad 1
  • I disagree 1

Ern

https://europa.EU/youreurope/citizens/travel/carry/meat-dairy-animal/index_en.htm

This is the official European Commission site of what can be taken into the E.U. nothing that will bother us to much plenty off shops over there can’t see my PG tips on there so all good.

It may make some people a bit more adventurous in their eating habits when abroad! 

I broke my ankle on our last trip to France with our tourer, on my birthday, and guess what? We found a perfectly acceptable kind of bacon in the supermarket there and had bacon baguettes, expertly shopped for and cooked by my other half, eaten sitting in the sun outside the caravan 🥓🥖🍾

The rule is POAO or Products Of Animal Origin - don't think tea comes into that category?

The trouble is that this rule is very wide. Any ham you carry will have been cooked, an cheese will have been processed, and if you have sense any milk you carry will be pasteurised - so all of these in terms of health will be safe. BUT they are derived from animals and it matters not whether it is processed,  packaged, frozen, or even tinned, if it originates in an animal it is a definite no no.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

6 hours ago, Lost in the wilderness said:

Whilst I totaly agree that there are plenty of shops in Europe, consider the logistics of stopping somewhere, with caravan attached, so you can purchase a bottle of milk for that important cup of tea.

Motorway parking is possible. Motorway cafes sell cups of tea.  Motorway shops sell milk. 

Edited by moorgate
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, weekender said:

Just a thought!   What would the French guys do if you turned up at Calais with a pack of bacon in your fridge, clearly marked "Produced and packaged in Denmark".    Or a pack of Asda Loin chops packed in Germany?    :rolleyes:

• Like 1

But it was so easy before Brexit    

all I did was go 

The only benefit to me since we left is I don’t have to walk to the polling station  for the Euro election 

• I do not understand 1
  • I agree completely 4
2 hours ago, Jaydug said:

Just a thought!   What would the French guys do if you turned up at Calais with a pack of bacon in your fridge, clearly marked "Produced and packaged in Denmark".    Or a pack of Asda Loin chops packed in Germany?    :rolleyes:

I would imagine they will say how would you like to pay the fine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
15 hours ago, Ern said:

I think they are banned. As I understand it affects all food. You can get tea in France though.  

not of animal origin so okay.

Landrover Freelander 2 towing a Bailey Pegasus IV verona

21 hours ago, PMW said:

No need to worry.  For UK holiday makers and travellers, it seems that it's only meat and milk products that are banned.   

I shall be interested to see if their searches go as far as to look for products containing milk chocolate (too many to give any examples), butter (biscuits, some cakes) or cheese (scones).

On the crossing from Hull to Rotterdam it is noticeable that at breakfast in the restaurant, some passengers and in this many of them are foreign and in coach parties, like to make up a pack of food (bread, cold meat, cheeses and fruit) which they take away from the restaurant and presumably is their lunch. To be handed in later?

I have no objection to the rules and trust searches are applied evenly all passengers and there is no differentiation between EU and non EU arrivals. 

John.

On 12/01/2021 at 13:07, PMW said:

Me and OH visited the USA, went to Monroe in Wisconsin.  Whilst there, some American friends we met up with took us to Galena, Illinois, it was a lovely town.  Anyway, I visited a shop, and in there, found Yorkshire Gold Teabags for sale.  I told my friends that Tom used them when he worked at Salford University.  I preferred Twinings All Day:D

I cannot understand why people who go abroad need to take English food with them.  If I want British food, I will stay in England.  When I go abroad, I wouldn't touch British food at all.  I always like to eat what the locals eat, France - French food; Spain - Spanish food, etc, etc.  When you eat pizza in this country, its nothing like the pizzas that you get in Italy.  The same with pasta dishes.  If I see a restaurant anywhere in Europe, selling "British Fish & Chips" or British "Sunday Roasts", you will not find me in those restaurants at all

Edited by Babstreefern
  • Like 1
22 hours ago, Ern said:

OK! OK! I know it only affects animal products but you can get tea there. 

Ern

Wonder if vegan 'meat' will be relabelled so it can go over the Channel.

1 hour ago, Babstreefern said:

When you eat pizza in this country, its nothing like the pizzas that you get in Italy.  

Best pizza I ever had was in a small cafe in a side street in Ferrara, it was made in front of us, tossed in the air and put in the oven. Made the work trip worth giving up a bank holiday for.

3 hours ago, Babstreefern said:

I cannot understand why people who go abroad need to take English food with them.  If I want British food, I will stay in England.  When I go abroad, I wouldn't touch British food at all.  I always like to eat what the locals eat, France - French food; Spain - Spanish food, etc, etc.  When you eat pizza in this country, its nothing like the pizzas that you get in Italy.  The same with pasta dishes.  If I see a restaurant anywhere in Europe, selling "British Fish & Chips" or British "Sunday Roasts", you will not find me in those restaurants at all

And that's your choice but we all go abroad for different reasons.

A case in point is, we used to go to Spain camping in the  early 60's up to the 70's for around 3 weeks.  This being with my parents.  We had 2 x 2 gallon water carriers (red, funny how it sticks in your mind) these contained Sheffield water for the sole use of my mums tea and woe betide if anyone else used it.:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2