Good day- I am about to purchase a Bailey caravan. Due to Covid the last owner has an overdue service. What are the rules around the warranty and service during covid. I am also looking for a recommendation for a large air awning with annexe. Many thanks. 

Check out the Bailey website or customer services direct . Depends. Last full lockdown Bailey said warranty would be honoured if the service was carried out as soon as lockdown ended as was physically possible-BUT it did end so if the service was due when dealers were open then you may invalidate the warranty-if it is due now-think you'll be fine again-not sure if Bailey have said the same thing as Elddis but Elddis have relaxed the dates again. SO find out when the service was due then ring or email Bailey or a friendly dealer-ie where the caravan came from or has been serviced in the past.

Yes Isabella or Bradcot air awnings are the Rolls Royce-if you want something a bit cheaper, lighter but still great quality our Outdoor Revolution is brilliant-4 years old and going strong and the tubes can't be overinflated as they have release valves-you will see complaints they pop in hot weather. Best thing to do is when you can and when allowed go to a large dealer who has awnings erected and see and feel the differences. Yorkshire caravans near Bawtry have a nice cafe and great range, BUT not sure where your nearest would be.

If the service has not been done then the warranty will almost certainly have been invalidated. If that is the case and this is a private seller then you want a discount for  the risk if you still want to go ahead, what the warranty is  worth depends on how old the caravan is. A dealer should be able to supply an insurance backed warranty and you can buy these if you check the web.

With awnings like everything else you tend to get what you pay for so the more expensive ones should last longer. We have an older Bradcot one and they seem to be as good as anything.

I contacted Bailey explaining that my service was cancelled in November and rebooked for January again cancelled because of COVID. At best I was offered March/April. This would take me well over the 3 month extension they gave. Bailey's reply was a list of caravan engineers in my area. No mention of any more extension to the service date. Luckily I found a Mobile Engineer who could fit me in this month. 

• Like 1

The OP should check that all previous services have been done within six weeks either side of the anniversary of the original date of sale , i.e. when it left the showroom at first purchase. If any of those were missed or outside that six week window the warranty is void.

My U4 Seville was due its third service and the last one inside the full warranty - which has to be done before the original date sale anniversary* - on 5th January, so months ago we booked it in for 8th December. Then along came Lockdown #2 so it was rebooked for 5th January - and along came Lockdown #3. I asked the dealer what would happen about the warranty and they said that Baileys had not put out any guidance other than they would treat each case individually if there is a problem.

*The two services that have to be done before the sale anniversary are the 3rd and 6th: the third because all of the bought-in bits - fridge, cooker, etc etc - have a three year warranty and if there is any fault it needs to be diagnosed (and preferably fixed) before the warranty expires; the same applies at the six service per the chassis warranty. However, in my case it should not be too much trouble (apart from the fact that we have no such items needing attention) as the three year warranty (I think with most caravans) is actually the first two years covered by the manufacturer and the third year covered by the dealer.

• Like 1

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville