Jump to content

Price rise - not caravan related


Recommended Posts

On December 9th last year I ordered a camera tripod direct from the factory in China. Price, inc all taxes and delivery = £63.

It took a while to arrive, due no doubt to Covid etc, but it finally arrived today, having been stuck in the UK postal system for at least 2 weeks, but I can live with that.

 

As you do, I looked today at the advert for exactly the same model, ordered direct from the factory as per before. Price now is £83 !

Link to post
Share on other sites

Presumably demand has gone up, therefore price goes up!

Completely normal.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Following the cancellation of our March 2020 cruise, the cruise we booked last April for May 2021  has gone up £1200 per person, that’s for the exact same cabin grade on the same deck within 2 rooms from ours.

 

Having had their cruises cancelled most of last year there are more people chasing fewer cruises, on ships that will have reduced capacities due to the new COVID precautions, so they can charge what they want.

 

 

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

 

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

Following the cancellation of our March 2020 cruise, the cruise we booked last April for May 2021  has gone up £1200 per person, that’s for the exact same cabin grade on the same deck within 2 rooms from ours.

 

Having had their cruises cancelled most of last year there are more people chasing fewer cruises, on ships that will have reduced capacities due to the new COVID precautions, so they can charge what they want.

 

 

Simple supply and demand, demand exceeds supply -price rises!

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

Following the cancellation of our March 2020 cruise, the cruise we booked last April for May 2021  has gone up £1200 per person, that’s for the exact same cabin grade on the same deck within 2 rooms from ours.

 

Having had their cruises cancelled most of last year there are more people chasing fewer cruises, on ships that will have reduced capacities due to the new COVID precautions, so they can charge what they want.

 

 

We have loved cruises in the past but it will be some time before we have confidence in them again. I am surprised  that they will be able to fill many this year and even into 2022, I think people will be wary. So, why the price hike - I know they need to get their finances in order after an appalling year  plus possibly this year but, to me this would not encourage people to try it for the first time or to regain the support of seasoned cruisers.

Alan  

After more than 35 years caravanning changed to motorhome for 5 years and loved it but now back in the fold of caravanning but still miss our motorhome.

Kia Sorento KX3 Auto - sold our 2018 Coachman VIP and now await our 2021 Coachman Laser Xcel 575 Special Edition

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

Following the cancellation of our March 2020 cruise, the cruise we booked last April for May 2021  has gone up £1200 per person, that’s for the exact same cabin grade on the same deck within 2 rooms from ours.

 

Having had their cruises cancelled most of last year there are more people chasing fewer cruises, on ships that will have reduced capacities due to the new COVID precautions, so they can charge what they want.

 

 

It has been suggested on the cruise forums that the price increase is partly because of potential reduced capacity, but mainly because many people have opted for a credit instead of cash for their cancelled cruise - and the credit includes an enhancement of anything between 10% and 25% of the original price, which has to be recovered somehow.

Personally, I can't see the May 2021 cruises going ahead, either. Many people are rolling their bookings over to 2022, especially as nobody actually knows what restrictions and limitations will still be in place for anything that does sail this year.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, 2seaside said:

Personally, I can't see the May 2021 cruises going ahead, either. Many people are rolling their bookings over to 2022, especially as nobody actually knows what restrictions and limitations will still be in place for anything that does sail this year.

 


We have our fingers crossed, but if P&O cancels, the 125% future cruise credit adds just over a £1000 to our account to spend on the next one.

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

 

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AlanS said:

So, why the price hike - I know they need to get their finances in order after an appalling year  plus possibly this year but, to me this would not encourage people to try it for the first time or to regain the support of seasoned cruisers.

Alan  


They don’t need to encourage new cruisers when they are offering a full cash refund, or a more attractive 125% future cruise credit to existing cruisers.

 

They can fill the ships to the new lower capacity just from those opting for the cruise credit, and as it is a credit it’s a captive customer as the enhanced credit can’t be transferred to another cruise line.

 

Not withstanding the cruisers can have their money back to spend wherever they choose.

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

 

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Grandpa Steve said:


They don’t need to encourage new cruisers when they are offering a full cash refund, or a more attractive 125% future cruise credit to existing cruisers.

 

They can fill the ships to the new lower capacity just from those opting for the cruise credit, and as it is a credit it’s a captive customer as the enhanced credit can’t be transferred to another cruise line.

 

Not withstanding the cruisers can have their money back to spend wherever they choose.

 

Yes but Year 1 income is held to pay for, let's say, the new max personnel loading of 60% all of whom  are year 1's, there's no income in Year 2.  OK I've used outlandish quantities but the principle applies?

Sam :beardy:   RR Sport HSE Dynamic towing Swift Elegance Grande 845

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, SamD said:

 

Yes but Year 1 income is held to pay for, let's say, the new max personnel loading of 60% all of whom  are year 1's, there's no income in Year 2.  OK I've used outlandish quantities but the principle applies?


Sorry Sam, I have no idea what you are saying!

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

 

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Stevan said:

Presumably demand has gone up, therefore price goes up!

Completely normal.

Oh, there must be a tremendous rush on camera tripods!

 

Or is it one of the benefits of Brexit, including the fall in value of the UK pound?

Edited by daveat92
  • I disagree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

If the basic price of the cruise is going up, then the 125% for a credit might only cover the exact same package. Not saying that is a bad thing, but a little voice in my head says that they knew they would have to put this years prices up when they offered the 'bonus'

Trevor.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Grandpa Steve said:

Following the cancellation of our March 2020 cruise, the cruise we booked last April for May 2021  has gone up £1200 per person, that’s for the exact same cabin grade on the same deck within 2 rooms from ours.

 

Having had their cruises cancelled most of last year there are more people chasing fewer cruises, on ships that will have reduced capacities due to the new COVID precautions, so they can charge what they want.

 

 

In dealing with travel agents make them compete. They are desperate for your business, so after trying one go to the next and say can you beat them. After three or four you should be getting the best deal. We worked this on a cruise, with us accepting at the point where they although could not beat the last price but they gave us an upgrade. A man I worked with booked the same cruise and was none too pleased at the difference we achieved, when he took the first price offered. brochure prices are deliberately high to allow for negotiation.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, daveat92 said:

Or is it one of the benefits of Brexit, including the fall in value of the UK pound?

Google "pound to Yuan" or "pound to US $"  You'll find the pound is worth more today than on Dec 9th for both currencies.

So replace the word fall with rise ;)

  • Like 2

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Wildwood said:

In dealing with travel agents make them compete. They are desperate for your business, so after trying one go to the next and say can you beat them. After three or four you should be getting the best deal. We worked this on a cruise, with us accepting at the point where they although could not beat the last price but they gave us an upgrade. A man I worked with booked the same cruise and was none too pleased at the difference we achieved, when he took the first price offered. brochure prices are deliberately high to allow for negotiation.


I have been cruising for 19 years and holidaying abroad for 40+ so I have a good idea on how to get the best deal.

 

On cruising if you have a good Cruise Agent you don’t need to shop around as they always get you the best deal, evident by the amount we save off the brochure price each year.

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

 

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

Link to post
Share on other sites

Back to OP, I would expect to pay £85 for an item then find it to be £63 after I’ve received it.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Grandpa Steve said:

Sorry Sam, I have no idea what you are saying!

 

People say that to me quite often!  Trying again on the basis that Covid allows.  If the Covid-reduced capacity is say 60% of normal, it is highly likely that such capacity will contain a high proportion of people such as yourself.  Ship sails with very little new income with a significant amount of previous years income (from you) taken up in wages, ship maintenance etc.

Sam :beardy:   RR Sport HSE Dynamic towing Swift Elegance Grande 845

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, SamD said:

 

People say that to me quite often!  Trying again on the basis that Covid allows.  If the Covid-reduced capacity is say 60% of normal, it is highly likely that such capacity will contain a high proportion of people such as yourself.  Ship sails with very little new income with a significant amount of previous years income (from you) taken up in wages, ship maintenance etc.

A lot of people will only have paid deposits for 2021 cruises - and they are only getting 125% of their deposit in future cruise credit, not the full cruise price, so there will be more income in Year 1 and ongoing, despite reduced capacity. We just need to get them sailing again. We moved our March 2021 cruise to October 2021 and will move it again if we need to, but I’m trying to remain hopeful. Balance not due until July on the new one. 🤞

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2017 Coachman Pastiche 565.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Glen and Les said:

A lot of people will only have paid deposits for 2021 cruises - and they are only getting 125% of their deposit in future cruise credit, not the full cruise price, so there will be more income in Year 1 and ongoing, despite reduced capacity. We just need to get them sailing again. We moved our March 2021 cruise to October 2021 and will move it again if we need to, but I’m trying to remain hopeful. Balance not due until July on the new one. 🤞

 

Yes I appreciate that on the deposit/full price issue.  All I was trying to say (!) is that for 2020 ans 2021 there will be almost full costs for each year against a much educed income.

  • Like 1

Sam :beardy:   RR Sport HSE Dynamic towing Swift Elegance Grande 845

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Wildwood said:

In dealing with travel agents make them compete. They are desperate for your business, so after trying one go to the next and say can you beat them. After three or four you should be getting the best deal. We worked this on a cruise, with us accepting at the point where they although could not beat the last price but they gave us an upgrade. A man I worked with booked the same cruise and was none too pleased at the difference we achieved, when he took the first price offered. brochure prices are deliberately high to allow for negotiation.

The travel agents can only give you the best deal they can get from their supplier (the cruise company).

They can give better reductions if they rebate their commission.

They can give even better reductions if they rebate out of their profit margins.

Do this for too long, they then go out of business.

 

Not sure why so many people think their cruise/holiday/new suit is spoilt simply by finding that somebody else paid less.

Either it was worth the money you paid, and somebody paying less does not make it any less worthy.

Or it was not worth the money you paid, so why did you buy it?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Glen and Les said:

A lot of people will only have paid deposits for 2021 cruises - and they are only getting 125% of their deposit in future cruise credit, not the full cruise price, so there will be more income in Year 1 and ongoing, despite reduced capacity. We just need to get them sailing again. We moved our March 2021 cruise to October 2021 and will move it again if we need to, but I’m trying to remain hopeful. Balance not due until July on the new one. 🤞


In all three of our cruises cancelled in 2020, cancellation was inside the 12-16 weeks of sailing so the balance was already paid so the full amount attracted the future cruise credit.

 

We haven’t moved any cruises but waited for the cruise company to notify us of the cancellation.

 

In your case you moved a cruise as opposed to having it cancelled and  were allowed to do so without penalty, 

  • Like 1

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

 

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 03/01/2021 at 15:05, 2seaside said:

The travel agents can only give you the best deal they can get from their supplier (the cruise company).

They can give better reductions if they rebate their commission.

They can give even better reductions if they rebate out of their profit margins.

Do this for too long, they then go out of business.

 

Not sure why so many people think their cruise/holiday/new suit is spoilt simply by finding that somebody else paid less.

Either it was worth the money you paid, and somebody paying less does not make it any less worthy.

Or it was not worth the money you paid, so why did you buy it?

 

They do seem to have quite a margin to negotiate with, so they should be able t give a decent discount on the brochure price. My feeling is that the brochure prices are inflated to allow for this and this year to get them something extra for the vouchers. You cannot be sure you are getting a fair price unless you check at least two travel agents offers though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...