Removing wheels on twin axle caravan

jmb1727

After some advice if possible.   I have a twin axle caravan and my tyres are getting old and need changing.    

Was wondering if I could use the wheel levelling ramps on 1 wheel to lift the other wheels off  the ground to remove?    Could I do both sides at same time - eg lift both front wheels and remove at same time?

Why not get tyres on the drive or KwikFitMobile to do the whole job for you in situ?

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I've never come across tyres on the drive but I wouldn't let kwik fit, mobile or otherwise polish my hub caps, let alone fit tyres. 

Because of the suspension travel I have to lift my twin axle with a jack and do one side at a time, or put the rear wheels both side on a levelling ramp then lift the jockey wheel as far as possible and can then remove both side fronts, then when the fronts are refitted put them up on the levelling ramps and lower the nose wheel to get the rears clear of the ground. 

Mercedes E350 CDi AMG Cabriolet, Lunar Freelander 640EW Twin Axle @1700kg

I had KwikFit to my house to replace one caravan tyre. He did an excellent job at a competitive job and then balanced the wheel without me asking him. 

One man's meat is another man's poison. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Our KwikFit is an amazing place! More like an operating theatre. All the staff are excellent!

However a few miles away is a dire KwikFit.

Happy to let my local one to do any tyre changes!

Edited by PR1

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

I used a mobile fitting outfit to supply and fit 5 tyres on my last van. Can't remember exactly who it was but they did an excellent job. Get a personal recommendation for a company in your area and use them - it's the most convenient way of changing van tyres.

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

I use a local independent tyre place which is only 1/2 mile from where I store the caravan. I had talked to them before and they sourced the newest tyres they could (only 1 month old IIRC). I then jacked up each side at a time using a trolley jack, removed 2 wheels and took them to the tyre place. Repeated on the other side. All four wheels were also balanced.

Cheers

Paul 

• I agree completely 1

Kia Sorento KX3 towing Bailey Unicorn Barcelona 2011