Four Month Limit For Pets in Europe?

Please excuse me if I have missed this being discussed before.

As I understand it from 1st January to travel into Europe from the UK with a dog (or other pet) you will need a 'Health Certificate' (PHC) for the dog, plus the Rabies certificate.

All fairly easily obtainable, BUT as I understand it the PHC lasts for 4 months. This would scupper trips longer than 4 months for those who take their pooches with them.

I may be wrong of course but it would be interesting to see if anyone is interpreting this differently.

BH

You don't need a rabies certificate but do need proof of rabies jabs,

The health certificate is valid for 4 months but unless you are a EU citizen you can only stay for 90 days in any 180 in the Schengen area anyway.

3 hours ago, AndersG said:

You don't need a rabies certificate but do need proof of rabies jabs,

The health certificate is valid for 4 months but unless you are a EU citizen you can only stay for 90 days in any 180 in the Schengen area anyway.

Yes, thanks I understand about the 90 days, but if it is possible to get a tourist visa to extend your stay for the winter then if you have a pet you would be unable to do so unless you could extend the  PHC. I am thinking about those who go down to the south of Spain or the Algarve for up to 6 months.

In our case we plan to travel through Europe ( therefore needing the PHC), stay in Morocco for 3 or more months then return back to the UK through Europe. Presumably we could get another PHC from a vet in Morocco.

BH

fwiw ....

BH. A good point with the 4 month PHC doc life.  Feel you will be correct with a new replacement cert issued in Morroco for your travel plans, same as for Pets currently entering into EU from Morocco ?

If a 4 month EU timing is exceeded will surely then need an EU Vet to re-issue the local similar version as for World travel etc as a replacement ?

AndersG. I understood from much reading that the Rabies Titre test Cert is required as a proof of antibodies being present at correct level & so vaccine is effective - not just previous rule of 'have a single jab & issue over'. 

There seems much doom mongering over 90 day EU stay as it will require a 'Visa' document issued. Whilst at present it is all vague the real truth & facts will out shortly and meanwhile the commercial Agents will be prepping to hold your hand at a cost.

Seasons greetings from on-going Tier 3 = Spain Jan21 off !

Assume you must be flying as you cannot currently drive down Spain crossing communities or communidads, other wise,I would be off!towing my caravan!

5 minutes ago, Pheasant said:

Assume you must be flying as you cannot currently drive down Spain crossing communities or communidads, other wise,I would be off!towing my caravan!

You can, and people are doing. People on a Facebook group arrived in Spain at San Sebastian, and are now down on the south coast.  Whether you SHOULD is a very different matter.

well I am surprised,i follow N332 website on my Facebook page and they say no one can cross into Valencia unless you are permanently resident or have a Justify to travel for medical or other reasons,they say that the communidad border is constantly policed!

if you know how i suppose you can get away with almost anything!

We digress yet again -  but we threw the towel in on our Spain overwintering trip in October as the CV19 grip tightened.

Still miffed though as vowed to return yearly and do hate the grey Pennine Winters.

Yes understand some have slipped out abroad but it is quiet & soulness albeit dry & sunny in Spain. 

M

1 hour ago, Blackhart said:

Yes, thanks I understand about the 90 days, but if it is possible to get a tourist visa to extend your stay for the winter then if you have a pet you would be unable to do so unless you could extend the  PHC. I am thinking about those who go down to the south of Spain or the Algarve for up to 6 months.

In our case we plan to travel through Europe ( therefore needing the PHC), stay in Morocco for 3 or more months then return back to the UK through Europe. Presumably we could get another PHC from a vet in Morocco.

BH

The American/ Australian/ NZ yachties have very rarely been able to get a visa and I don't think UK caravanners will be treated any better. Second home owners in Spain and Portugal and yachties in Greece may be more lucky.

You will need another certificate from Morocco since they are only valid for 10 days for entry to the EU. From Morocco you probably need rabies tithers as well. Arrange those before you leave home since it takes 90 days from a positive test before you can enter EU and not all dogs pass the first time 

17 minutes ago, montesa said:

Yes understand some have slipped out abroad but it is quiet & soulness albeit dry & sunny in Spain.

The truth of the matter is - we always want to be somewhere where we aren't.   I have two pairs of friends, both with their caravans permanently sited in Malaga.   One pair is stuck in Cumbria, having had their BF bookings rescheduled several times since the end of October.   They can't wait to get to Spain but their sailing date is for early March.   The other couple went to their caravan at the end of August for a few weeks, but now can't get home to their families.;) 

Edited by Jaydug

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

54 minutes ago, montesa said:

AndersG. I understood from much reading that the Rabies Titre test Cert is required as a proof of antibodies being present at correct level & so vaccine is effective - not just previous rule of 'have a single jab & issue over'.

UK is now a listed country according to a UK government site and a dog will only need the rabies vaccination.

29 minutes ago, AndersG said:

UK is now a listed country according to a UK government site and a dog will only need the rabies vaccination.

Thanks and stand corrected.

2 hours ago, Blackhart said:

BH

BH,  you can extend the Schengen area 90day limit for yourselves if you are going into Morocco again as it is outside that area. 

And people are saying that you can extend the 4 month Animal  Health  Certificate by getting a pet passport from a vet in France or Spain - but I can't verify that. 

Yes, all a bit confusing, and I hope that by the time we get south to Morocco and Europe again things are clearer!

BH

• 1 month later...

In this respect, we are switching our Max over to an Italian pet passport. The pet passport "nationality" does not have to match the passport of the owner. 

My regular Italian vet can sort this out but a couple of phonecalls to vets in Dunkerque confirmed our Max can drop on to a French EU passport. Problem goes away. 

Russ

Online blog and travels, although sometimes there is a lack of travel due to work!

It's an uncharted sea, it's an unopened door but you've got to reach out and you've got to explore.

have you got in touch with your vet, they may have a clearer understanding of all the rules now.