Wet rear corners after rain

mprcomp

On 26/12/2020 at 21:08, Mr Plodd said:

Its not a “problem” therefore there’s nothing to “fix” 

If it was a problem I am sure Bailey would have addressed it many years ago. 

I enquired of Bailey about floor damp when I bought my Phoenix at the start of 2018. Below is a portion of our communication. Their replies are in italics, I have emboldened the important words.

1. Can you please confirm that should, at some future point, the floor of my caravan suffer the dreaded “damp” around the various holes that have been cut through it, by you, at the construction stage, AND left totally untreated,  I will still be covered by your water ingress warranty? The reason for my asking is that the wording of the warranty clearly states that only “permanently sealed joints” are covered. These holes are clearly NOT permanently sealed (or indeed sealed at all) joints and as such you are saying that any damp issues around those holes will not then be covered under warranty?

In the unlikely event water ingress is identified within, below or above the bonded floor panel then rectification would be covered under the terms and conditions of our the six year bodyshell warranty.

2. Likewise if, as you say, the underside of my caravan has only “been painted with emulsion” what is actually protecting it from any water being thrown up underneath soaking into it? It’s clearly NOT waterproof plywood, or is it?? 

The underside of the bonded floor panels used in caravan construction are not treated as such but there is a layer of splash resistant paint. As you may appreciate, the ladder rack constructed floor panels of our caravans have been used for literally decades and I am not aware of any cases where the apertures used for the services as well as ventilation have been identified as causing floor panels to rot

Just now, Silverback said:

It is very much a problem. Constant wet under floors lead to rot. It's as simple as that and any honest Bailey franchise will agree. 

I had rot starting in the rear corners of my Bailey Series 7, it was  caused by rainwater getting on it too often so that it didn't dry our very well. The bottom awning rail doesn't go right to the back, it stops at the end cap moulding, this allows water to run down and under the back panel wetting the plywood.

I bought some plastic 90-degree corner strip from a DIY store and cut it to create a vertical edge so that the rainwater had to drop off, once in place I glued it in permanently with Soudal RV61, it is now dry.   OK, it gets wet when driving in rain but as Silverback says it now gets chance to dry out, it didn't this year with all the rain we've had. I also now leave it nose-down, the front is a plastic floor for the gas locker.

Dave.