Wet rear corners after rain

mprcomp

Hello I have recently bought a 2017 Bailey Palermo, it had it's service a few days before and all clear. No issues in damp report. On Wednesday the rain was super heavy so wanted to double check no leaks. The internal of van was fine. The rear of the van was wet on the floor externally. 

Someone suggested it may be roof strap. Anyway it still has ingress so need to take it to find someone who will do warranty repairs as often dealers only interested if it's their van. Bailey have said they are happy for someone to take a look and see if anything needs repairing. When I want back today noticed the whole  rear gasket was missing(middle section). Would not having the gasket cause water ingress and if so to what extent?

The offside rear corner was worse but it also moved up the van on that side towards the wheels. Today popped back and has dried out on the whole readings 15 to 20 when measured from underneath so drying out already. 

IMG_0293.JPEG

IMG_0296.JPEG

You have made mention of water ingress, that means water getting inside the caravan. It’s the outside that is wet. 

It is normal for the outside of the floor to get wet, but it dries out again pretty quickly as your damp readings have demonstrated. The underneath of my Bailey gets wet when it rains, but it dries very quickly.,

If you think about it the underside of your car also gets wet when it rains doesn’t it? 

As you have a very recent damp report which says there is no damp internally (as in no water ingress) I am sure you are worrying unnecessarily as clearly there is no internal damp.

The “roof strap” issue you refer to is across the rear of the caravan roof that (on some) can leak and allow water to get inside. If it happens you WILL notice it as it drips down from the ceiling !

Stop worrying and start thinking about enjoying your new purchase :D

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Thanks. Just don’t want rotten floor in a couple of years time. Readings near corners are still 40+ but assume will dry over time. Does white gasket do anything then? 

If the inside floor isn’t damp, which it appears is the case because of the damp readings you have, then it isn’t going to rot. 40% outside after heavy rain is what I would expect to see. Check after a few dry days (if we get any) and see if the reading has dropped, I bet it will have. 

Not sure what you mean by  “gasket” ? 

If your caravan is in storage have a look under a few other caravans, you will see the same “damp patch ;)

Edited by Mr Plodd

If by saying "gasket" you are referring to the rubber strip along the top of your bumper, it's purely cosmetic & does not create a water tight seal.

Yeah the strip just thought would help divert some some of the water away from the van so less on the floor.  Was taking of stocking some 512 in then the strip on to cover it all. 

8 minutes ago, Ptrobson said:

Yeah the strip just thought would help divert some some of the water away from the van so less on the floor.  Was taking of stocking some 512 in then the strip on to cover it all. 

?????? :blink:

"Was talking of sticking some Soudall 512 in, then the strip on, to cover it all." 

That's my translation. Tis not that difficult to interpret,  Ploddy!! 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

12 minutes ago, WispMan said:

"Was talking of sticking some Soudall 512 in, then the strip on, to cover it all." 

That's my translation. Tis not that difficult to interpret,  Ploddy!! 

I didn’t see it, but now it’s been interpreted I can see it.

Yeah meant some stikaflex 512 but if it’s just ornamental might not be much point 

We have much the same problem on a 2015 U3 Cadiz

Rear outside offside corner is very wet and spongy can't find any leaks,all bone dry inside.

I think it is rain running down and under the rear valance and wetting the floor,presume it will dry out when warmer weather comes.

I removed the front and rear seals,looks much better without them IMHO.

Ian

Yeah you could be right it’s not soft. It’s just when half the offside floor is wets it’s worrying. In warmer weather dry out quickly not so much when it’s 4c outside. 

My first Compass caravan had a plastic infill in the awning rails, both sides, that was longer than the rail itself and was tucked and stapled into the floor just under the van. The rail itself was cut off level with the bottom of the van. Water would run down the infill, along and under the van, and soak into the wooden floor - just stupid design but easily rectified once I identified what was happening.

Makes you wonder sometimes just who designs caravans.

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

I had a problem with water under the van when I left the van parked tilting down at the front. I thought that would help the water run off the roof quickly, which it did.

But it also meant the water that ran down the rear then ran underneath the floor because there was no skirt or drip rail to prevent it doing so.

I cured this by fitting a small, full width angled "L" strip of plastic along the underside of the rear wall, sealed against the floor with mastic.

Thus, any water running down the rear has to run onto this angle, from which it can't do anything other than drip off onto the floor.

The front and sidewalls have a skirting that continues past the floor before they terminate, so they don't offer the same path for water to run under the van.

11 minutes ago, daveat92 said:

I had a problem with water under the van when I left the van parked tilting down at the front. I thought that would help the water run off the roof quickly, which it did.

But it also meant the water that ran down the rear then ran underneath the floor because there was no skirt or drip rail to prevent it doing so.

I cured this by fitting a small, full width angled "L" strip of plastic along the underside of the rear wall, sealed against the floor with mastic.

Thus, any water running down the rear has to run onto this angle, from which it can't do anything other than drip off onto the floor.

The front and sidewalls have a skirting that continues past the floor before they terminate, so they don't offer the same path for water to run under the van.

Thanks my van is currently nose up so would this cause an issue the same as you had? I am trying to think if it would but not saying a little angle under there might work. 

Stop worrying!!! It’s not an issue. 

If you are that concerned park it nose down, then the front corners will get wet. 

This seems to be such a common fault on Baileys. Someone must have come up with a fix by now?

Its not a “problem” therefore there’s nothing to “fix” 

If it was a problem I am sure Bailey would have addressed it many years ago. 

I enquired of Bailey about floor damp when I bought my Phoenix at the start of 2018. Below is a portion of our communication. Their replies are in italics, I have emboldened the important words.

1. Can you please confirm that should, at some future point, the floor of my caravan suffer the dreaded “damp” around the various holes that have been cut through it, by you, at the construction stage, AND left totally untreated,  I will still be covered by your water ingress warranty? The reason for my asking is that the wording of the warranty clearly states that only “permanently sealed joints” are covered. These holes are clearly NOT permanently sealed (or indeed sealed at all) joints and as such you are saying that any damp issues around those holes will not then be covered under warranty?

In the unlikely event water ingress is identified within, below or above the bonded floor panel then rectification would be covered under the terms and conditions of our the six year bodyshell warranty.

2. Likewise if, as you say, the underside of my caravan has only “been painted with emulsion” what is actually protecting it from any water being thrown up underneath soaking into it? It’s clearly NOT waterproof plywood, or is it?? 

The underside of the bonded floor panels used in caravan construction are not treated as such but there is a layer of splash resistant paint. As you may appreciate, the ladder rack constructed floor panels of our caravans have been used for literally decades and I am not aware of any cases where the apertures used for the services as well as ventilation have been identified as causing floor panels to rot

Edited by Mr Plodd

2 hours ago, Tandem Man said:

We have much the same problem on a 2015 U3 Cadiz

Rear outside offside corner is very wet and spongy can't find any leaks,all bone dry inside.

I think it is rain running down and under the rear valance and wetting the floor,presume it will dry out when warmer weather comes.

I removed the front and rear seals,looks much better without them IMHO.

Ian

Ian 

If your floor is spongy on the outside I would keep a close eye on it, my 2014 Pegasus Gt65 Verona had started with wet spongy floor behind the wheel arches and eventually became damp inside on both sides of the caravan, parts of the floor where replaced under warranty 

Mike 

The underside of my floor was going spongy, hence my mod where I added the angle strip. It was bad enough for me to dig out the spongy wood and replace it with epoxy. Fortunately it was only a few mm deep, so the structure wasn't really affected. Since I added the strip and kept the van level I have had no more problems.

It's all very well saying Bailey's don't have the problem, but MY 18yrs old Bailey DID have a problem.

I expect different models will differ.

This happened on a friends Swift caravan, exact same areas. Floor eventually turned spongy on the outside, and lead to damp readings on the inside. He moved the caravan on, but its something I check for regularly, and I do intend to fit a length of 'L' shaped conduit between the floor and the bodywork as a previous poster did.

But it is a problem. The design causes rainwater to track back underneath the floor instead of dropping clear. 

It is a problem. Had my Bailey repaired once , same thing . Tandem man has same issue I had . Its poor design. The newer vans  appear to be a similar design , if thats the correct word to use. Constantly getting wet on a thin plywood floor coated with a  thin emulsion of non waterproof paint is not the best idea in the world. I  undersealed all around my van a couple of years ago, I painted a 4 inch strip that seems to holding the decay off but its not a long term  fix. The underseal  I used is the same the dealers use when they repair Bailey caravans, normal car undersealer. There are those who think undersealer is the wrong product, the alternative is a rotten  floor.  My long term solution is to never by another poorly designed British van. 

Another thing I no longer do is have it serviced by a main dealer; for some strange reason they do not seem to find significant damp !   wonder why ?

This all sounds like sour grapes, well it is,  the vans are poorly designed and assembled in my opinion and I dont want to continue to fund a product that I have no faith in. Rant over.

If anyone is concerned about it then my suggestion would be to use a wood treatment on the underside and NOT under seal.

Under-seal forms an impermeable barrier so will hold any moisture in (which is the very last thing you want)  wood treatment (such as creosote, tantalising liquid, fence paint etc) will allow any moisture to wick out. 

It would appear that Bailey have altered their method of joining wall and floor panels to do away with this “issue” 

On mine it appears that the outer walls of the caravan now extend  down below the level of the floor by a few cm, whereas in the past the side walls merely sat on the floor.

I have just been out with my trusty damp meter (it’s  pretty accurate because I use to check timber for wood turning) and checked the external corners of my 2018 Phoenix’s floor. Bearing in mind just how much rain we had overnight (it was of truly biblical proportions here at about 03:00) all of the corner extremities are showing around just 8-9% externally, which does tend to suggest none of the overnight rainwater has run down the sides and been absorbed. 

8 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

If anyone is concerned about it then my suggestion would be to use a wood treatment on the underside and NOT under seal.

Under-seal forms an impermeable barrier so will hold any moisture in (which is the very last thing you want)  wood treatment (such as creosote, tantalising liquid, fence paint etc) will allow any moisture to wick out. 

It would appear that Bailey have altered their method of joining wall and floor panels to do away with this “issue” 

On mine it appears that the outer walls of the caravan now extend  down below the level of the floor by a few cm, whereas in the past the side walls merely sat on the floor.

I have just been out with my trusty damp meter (it’s  pretty accurate because I use to check timber for wood turning) and checked the external corners of my 2018 Phoenix’s floor. Bearing in mind just how much rain we had overnight (it was of truly biblical proportions here at about 03:00) all of the corner extremities are showing around just 8-9% externally, which does tend to suggest none of the overnight rainwater has run down the sides and been absorbed. 

On our 2014 Pursuit, the sidewalls sit on the floor, but the outer GRP skin extends down to the level of the bottom of the floor. When I replaced a piece of the plywood underfloor at a rear corner, back in the summer, I treated both sides with Charcoal decking paint. Mainly because I'd got some in the shed!