Drain down

Phil37

Hi, I've just bought a 2017 Coachman laser 650 . This is a much more modern caravan than I am use to. I was hoping to get some advice on how to  drain down. With my last caravan I just opened the drain valves, left the taps open and removed the Carver filter.

The onboard water tank is new to me. 

Appreciate any advice.

Hello Phil,

I hope I can supply you with some info that might help you. Click  HERE

Look under Winterisation.

Are you sorted then Phil?

I used to have a van with an onboard tank and I remember that it had its own drain which was a tube extending out of the caravan through a hole in the floor. Have a look under your van.

If it doesn't then run the pump till the tank is empty if you can.

Hi  BOAC, because it's a hour and a half from my house I haven't been able to get to know the caravan, especially with restrictions.

With it having a  truma  ultrafiow  pump in the aquaroll and a whale pump for the onboard water tank.

I've read that I should run the whale pump dry with a pipe disconnected to get the water out of the pump.

How do I switch from the truma exterior pump to the whale interior pump? The control panel has a pump switch, but will it give me the option to choose either? Sorry for the long winded question, but it could help me when I go up next week.

Thanks for any advice.

Installations vary but on my previous Elddis had a pump switch with 3 positions: Off, internal and external. The external pump was used purely to fill the internal tank from the Aquaroll and ran continually when the switch was in the 'external' position. Normal usage on 'internal' was via the internal pump which was micro switch controlled .

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

Thanks for that.

Yes I've seen something like that.

What's so annoying the Coachman hand book says very little just says pump switch. I've looked all through YouTube and nothing to explain the functions of the control panel.

Hi Phil,

Its a pity you can't have your van closer and I think you are right when you say you have to get to know the van.

Looking at all the different water systems on the Internet there are so many variants it's a case of having to 'hands on'.  You might have the system as below :-

Swift-two-socket.jpg.994f2621a13a73982edc982dcd6a0dd8.jpg

Hands on is the only recourse if you have.

Best of luck if you manage to get to the van soon, but keep us advised.

I certainly will keep you updated.

I'm hoping to get to the van next week. My traveling reason is I have to winterize the caravan. If I get stopped, I've been self isolating and couldn't get  there sooner. I don't know what other people think but I'm sure the police could find better things to attend.

Well, if that's the case and your whole journey does not involve contact with other people  - which is likely, then it should be okay and providing you don't go from a tier 4 to a tier 3 or similar.

Mind you, the situation is changing daily, so who knows.

1 hour ago, Phil37 said:

I certainly will keep you updated.

I'm hoping to get to the van next week. My traveling reason is I have to winterize the caravan. If I get stopped, I've been self isolating and couldn't get  there sooner. I don't know what other people think but I'm sure the police could find better things to attend.

Certainly "winterising" was an acceptable reason to travel but whether it still will be after December 30th I am uncertain. Personally though, I believe that "winterising" is a valid reason for essential travel if you are to prevent possible water damage to your caravan, so I believe it will still be permitted so long as you do not meet with anybody where your caravan is stored. 

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

I'm  in  Wales,   the caravan is at Bank Farm on the Gower  near  Swansea.

Mr. Drakeford put the whole of  Wales in tier 4 with 6 hours notice. He's not  too  popular, it's very  bad  governance.

Same as you state, but in addition the board tank will have its own drain tap.

Edited by Jezzerb

Not sure that the six hour idea is bad. Where people have had more notice we have ended up with masses of people not social distancing and probably undoing any good the lock down could achieve, before it even started. If we are to avoid this than very short notice may be inconvenient but it is essential.

I appreciate that some notice period is needed but it makes no sense in terms of managing the pandemic.  If the risk is high enough to require stricter measures then they should be started as soon as possible.  The problem is that people seem determined to do as much as the rules permit regardless of the risks.  We have scarcely left home since March, not because of the rules but simply because we did not think that it was worth the risk.