Message added by CT Advertising,

Purple Line LogoOur Fullstop® Security Range provides ease of use and maximum protection against cutting, drilling, gas-freezing and corrosion. With exceptional customer service and aftersales care.
Shop online today.

I have a Stinger alarm fitted to my caravan.

Before I start to investigate my problem - if I have one, I would like to know from other owners whether or not they feel that their Stinger loundness of the alarm is satisfactory.

The loundness of mine is so low it is not really apparent from 40 feet away. I would like it to be the same volume of a car alarm - or louder.

Thanks

15 minutes ago, joanie said:

have you  re programmed the volume  on the key fob ?

That is only for the beeper sound not for the alarm itself.

Ours will make your ears bleed if you stand to close

Isn't half the point of any intruder alarm to scare the intruder away, rather than alert anyone within a radius of Xm, all of whom will just ignore it anyway?

Edited by daveat92
2 minutes ago, daveat92 said:

Isn't half the point of any intruder alarm to scare the intruder away, rather than alert anyone within a radius of Xm, all of whom will just ignore it anyway?

Indeed so but if, say, van in storage and in a remote-ish location which many are, then if it's a feeble alarm it serves no useful purpose.

BOAC   I rang the makers Sargent to ask about this very issue, they told me that when activated that's as loud as it goes,  it doesn't help of course that the sounder is in the under seat locker surrounded by cushions and shoes and stuff acting as a muffler, I agree with ETC it's just for show  really and has limited use in the real world.

Dave Greaves

Thanks Dave.

My last van had a hole in the floor which made it louder outside. I have not checked yet seeing the outside temperature is -1 today and the wind chill makes it more like -4C. Not a day for crawling under the van.

I will report back in due course. Thanks to everyone.

Sargent replaced ours once already for this issue. The replacement wasn't much better. I'm not sure the sounder lines up correctly with the hole in the floor.

Contrast that to the flashing LED on the door light which is like a beacon at sea. Disconnected it.

It's not a "proper" alarm imho, but ticks an insurance box...

Well, it seems I am not the only one that is dissatisfied with the alarm volume.

I consider that a decent alarm is an important security device, so it looks as though a modification is on the cards. I plan to fit one that is loud and annoying which stays sounding for at least three minutes before silencing.

The most annoying alarm I could find sounds something like THIS

There is plenty of them on E Bay. How about THIS

Would 110 dbs be loud enough?

Maybe a flashing blue hi vis light on the roof might not go amiss as well. :D

Just found another post HERE

If you are interested.;)

Edited by BOAC
21 hours ago, dgreaves said:

................................... it doesn't help of course that the sounder is in the under seat locker surrounded by cushions and shoes and stuff acting as a muffler .........................

Surely the above should not matter since any alarm arrangement should have the sound directed to the outside or have I misunderstood?

The alarm on our Avondale was pretty hopeless to the point that on one instance when it went off when we were away it did not bother the others on site. Ours had the alarm pointing through a vent in the base of the locker presumably to try and get as much sound out as possible but the only effective thing it did was give me a discount on the insurance. 

Frankly I doubt it was any use against a thief as it was very accessible in the front locker and a thief could easily get at it and rip it out before any one noticed or could identify where the noise came from.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for bumping an old post ....

Replaced the battery (bought from Sargent) in my 3.5 year old Stinger 310 alarm.

Very easy to do but now on arming /disarming it makes a "strangled groan" as opposed to the shrill noise it used to make?

The alarm is just about inaudible outside.

Speaking to Sargent, today, they suggested a "reset" which involes disconnecting all power to it and leaving for 10 minutes. This is easy enought to do but wondered if anyone else has come across this?

They want £135 to repair it if necessary.

• 2 months later...

A follow up on my issue that might intrest BOAC?

As the post above, my alarm sounder was very very quiet when setting or disarming or when I triggered the alarm. As my alarm is outside of any warrenty I decided to take a look at it myself.

It's quite easy to strip it down to its component level, on doing so I found out that the piezoelectric speaker had fallen apart, the speaker membrane was loose in its holder both due to the adhesive drying out and the holder had pushed up out of postion.

First I thought about buying a replacement speaker but the only supplier I could find that could offered a suitable replacement had a 11 week lead time so out came the hot glue gun.

Having glued it all back together, the alarm is now as loud as when I first bought it back in 2017 :)

IMG_0723.jpg

Thanks for coming back and posting a solution as it may well help others now and in the future.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Well done H, thanks for posting back.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front - Discovery 4. Wheels at the back - Bessacarr 845.