Gas cylinders and electrical unit

Both should be acceptably safe when separate and putting them close together would not significantly increase the risk.

Whatever you do there is always some element of risk, but I would put this as no greater than an isolated gas cylinder being hit by lightening!

I worked in the chemical industry and did a lot of work on area classification which means safe distances from flammable liquids/gases to electrical equipment and other ignition sources. Around a flammable liquid/gas cylinder with connections that are not permanent (such as soldered joints) there would be a distance of possibly a metre or so which would be in a zone 2 depending on the ventilation and frequency of opening the connections and how reliable they are. Any electrical equipment in that area would need to be suitable for a zone 2 so not your normal house type electrical equipment. So if your cylinder was in an industrial environment governed by health and safety laws you would not be allowed to have your lpg cylinder next to normal electrical equipment. If possible I would not site your outside lpg cylinder next to your electric box but put it at least 1 metre away. Also make sure the box is kept closed and do not restrict ventilation around the cylinder and its connections.

2 minutes ago, Paul1957 said:

I worked in the chemical industry and did a lot of work on area classification which means safe distances from flammable liquids/gases to electrical equipment and other ignition sources. Around a flammable liquid/gas cylinder with connections that are not permanent (such as soldered joints) there would be a distance of possibly a metre or so which would be in a zone 2 depending on the ventilation and frequency of opening the connections and how reliable they are. Any electrical equipment in that area would need to be suitable for a zone 2 so not your normal house type electrical equipment. So if your cylinder was in an industrial environment governed by health and safety laws you would not be allowed to have your lpg cylinder next to normal electrical equipment. If possible I would not site your outside lpg cylinder next to your electric box but put it at least 1 metre away. Also make sure the box is kept closed and do not restrict ventilation around the cylinder and its connections.

You use the term "electrical equipment", what does this include? Clearly anything with a motor or heating element is "equipment", as is (I assume,) a control panel with switches etc. but what about ordinary sockets or boxes with MCBs or ELCBs?

I am not an electrical engineer, but applying common sense -

The risk must surely come from a spark igniting flammable gas.

Anything connected or disconnected under load will have a spark risk, thus your domestic 13A socket will come under that category, even if the switch on the socket is operated before, because the spark can then be generated in the switch!

The same logic must also apply to mcbs, elcbs and the like.

16 minutes ago, Stevan said:

You use the term "electrical equipment", what does this include? Clearly anything with a motor or heating element is "equipment", as is (I assume,) a control panel with switches etc. but what about ordinary sockets or boxes with MCBs or ELCBs?

Electrical equipment means anything with electricity in it, also other ignition sources such as sparks, static electricity have to be controlled in an industrial environment.

Edited by Paul1957

Against my first post on this topic somebody has put a do not understand emoji against it. Maybe they could say what is not understood but to help explain there is some info in this link to the HSE's website https://www.hse.gov.uk/comah/sragtech/techmeasareaclas.htm