Lunar Automotive - The end is almost here!

We had an Avondale for four years. Well after they went ie 2015(they closed in2008) No issues with any parts and no issues with insurance, in fact over the over the 3years we had it we had loads of people admired it and rarely was their demise mentioned. Sold quickly too. Lunar owners need no fear. Enjoy the caravans as they are lovely.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

fwiw ... Nice  idea, but as I see it CT members cant even have a chat about Toilet chemicals without it descending into an on-line row and handbags so building new Caravans as a mutual  ?- you sa

The rotton part of this company failure is that the emloyees have been messed about, retained without pay, and then finally told they aren't getting paid. Right before Christmas. This is disgusting.  

After due consideration "I'm out"

Posted Images

11 hours ago, littlebasher said:

Bear in mind, my cover is New for old

I would question your insurer very carefully, and read all the small print, and make sure you understand it. Even on a new for old policy most insurers have a get out in the case of a new replacement not being available, It is very possible you are paying for cover that the insurer cannot provide. I would ask the insurer directly what would happen if damage was done to the van which could not be repaired. Pay special attention if damage to those specific parts, windows, end panels etc. 

It is unlikely they will write off and replace the van if the damage does not meet their viability measures, more likely you would end up with a cash offer based on the cost of repairs if parts were available. 

Ashington Cars and Commercials currently have a couple of brand new twin axle Lunars (Alaria and Taurus), that they are advertising on Ebay as having  3yrs  manufacturers warranty!

2 minutes ago, Lagerorwine said:

Ashington Cars and Commercials currently have a couple of brand new twin axle Lunars (Alaria and Taurus), that they are advertising on Ebay as having  3yrs  manufacturers warranty!

This has been covered on CT before a couple of times, they are actually what were to be 2020 demos built in 2019, they can't have a manufacturers warranty, Lunar Caravans who built them doesn't exist, Lunar Automotive who allegedly re-badged them as theirs, to all intents and purposes, don't exist, the warranty is by a warranty company independent of either company or the sellers.

They must be a fantastic buy in the present climate of hard to get new caravans, they were first put on sale getting on for 12 months ago, I wonder, if they are still for sale, why they haven't sold. 🤔 

14 minutes ago, Silversurf said:

They must be a fantastic buy in the present climate

For what they are I think they are way over priced. IIRC the two twin axles when I looked were 25 and 30k respectively, little if any different to similar Bailey models in stock at our local caravan center. Much as I have been a Lunar fan I know where I would be spending my hard earned. I would need a serious discount to buy into a new Lunar. 

Agree - I seem to recall when Lunar went bust in 2019, new vans at our local dealer (Robinsons),  were eventually discounted in price by £6,000 at least

• 2 months later...

It seems that Lunar is not quite dead, I see they are advertising for staff .....

2 hours ago, PMW said:

It seems that Lunar is not quite dead, I see they are advertising for staff .....

Where are they advertising and for what staff ?

4 minutes ago, Silversurf said:

Where are they advertising and for what staff ?

Advertising for shop fitter. Building park homes and caravans

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

According to Companies House, the chap behind Lunar Automotive, one Nicholas Marks resigned as a director of the company last year.  On 23rd March of this year though, the 23 year old Alexander Hanley Marks was appointed as a director.  The registered office has moved from London to Marlborough, Wiltshire.

December 2020... judgement against the company in an employment tribunal.

Press release, March 2021 by Unite re Lunar Automotive Ltd and Mr Marks

Some signs of life in the company then. If anybody is thinking of a new job in Blackpool...  Apply here

5 hours ago, ReggiePerrin said:

According to Companies House, the chap behind Lunar Automotive, one Nicholas Marks resigned as a director of the company last year.  On 23rd March of this year though, the 23 year old Alexander Hanley Marks was appointed as a director.  The registered office has moved from London to Marlborough, Wiltshire.

December 2020... judgement against the company in an employment tribunal.

Press release, March 2021 by Unite re Lunar Automotive Ltd and Mr Marks

Some signs of life in the company then. If anybody is thinking of a new job in Blackpool...  Apply here

He has been disqualified from holding a directorship for 12 months due to irregularities in another of his companies. 
He's made his son director for now 

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

If you are going to get back into the market then now would be a good time, but frankly I think the name has very little value now.

2 hours ago, JanandJay said:

He has been disqualified from holding a directorship for 12 months due to irregularities in another of his companies. 
He's made his son director for now 

Thanks for that... I know there had been some unsavoury stuff going on with his 'Clarity' company but didn’t realise he’d been disqualified.    Based on everything I’ve read about this character and the way he seems to operate his businesses, it would appear to be no bad thing.

This may be of interest, posted on FB Caravan VLOGGER today.

FB_IMG_1620061140320.jpg

In the past few weeks Lunar Automotive have been locked out of their premises twice for non payment of rent (again!). I kid you not.

They only have 2 remaining staff from old Lunar. They are taking on staff who have never built a caravan in their lives and have no design team, no new designs, no dealer network, no accounts with suppliers, no money to pay rent, nobody willing to invest money into the business.

They will never in a million years get vans out of that factory of any sort of quality.

On 04/05/2021 at 20:52, Kepler said:

In the past few weeks Lunar Automotive have been locked out of their premises twice for non payment of rent (again!). I kid you not.

They only have 2 remaining staff from old Lunar. They are taking on staff who have never built a caravan in their lives and have no design team, no new designs, no dealer network, no accounts with suppliers, no money to pay rent, nobody willing to invest money into the business.

They will never in a million years get vans out of that factory of any sort of quality.

This all sounds disastrous and such a shame that once upon time they (old Lunar) were leaders in lightweight Caravans, something that may return as we move towards electric towcars and other alternative fuels.  Doesn't sound like Lunar Automotive will get anything off the ground now.

Posted (edited)

Looks like they have secured a new factory at Blackpool but no idea if it will ever go anywhere, but cannot see the point unless they are serious. The old designs are still workable, although a more modern construction system should be a priority. Caravans have not moved on very far since the old firm went down so new designs are not going to be a priority.

Edited by Wildwood
13 minutes ago, Wildwood said:

Looks like they have secured a new factory at Blackpool but no idea if it will ever go anywhere, but cannot see the point unless they are serious. The old designs are still workable, although a more modern construction system should be a priority. Caravans have not moved on very far since the old firm went down so new designs are not going to be a priority.

Very true - one of my favourite recent layouts is only offered by Lunar but I don't exactly want to shell out £20k without a warranty!

I do agree, I would be very wary of buying from the new company but they do make a few caravans unique to them which might be the way to start again. Given the current shortage of caravans then now looks to be a good time to start again.

IF they could get it right, today's caravan boom would be an ideal time to re-ignite the company but from what I read it seems that enthusiasm and action aren't in equal measures.  Sad really.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

14 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

IF they could get it right, today's caravan boom would be an ideal time to re-ignite the company but from what I read it seems that enthusiasm and action aren't in equal measures.  Sad really.

Today's van boom may end up tomorrows glut, a bit like the warnings on investments, they may go up, or down.

To have any success at all, they need quality design, some aspect to make them stand out that buyers want, not what the designer thinks they want, lighter, less bling for the sake of it, quality materials, assembly, knowledgable staff, good back up of parts, good warranty, A1 communications and a five star customer service dept. including dealers and a quality control system that actually works.

Most of all they need a reasonable production volume, not two or three a week, to initially supply dealers, with demo's, if they can get any, I expect there is still a sour taste and wary dealers left after the last 2-3 years debacle.

The last two important things they need is time, which they don't have and a driven, competent, dedicated, consistent  workforce, which  they had many years ago, but the treatment by various managements, managers over the years  knocked the stuffing out of them, resulting in staff who only turned up to earn a wage with no pride in what they produced and due to staff churn the new comers got minimal training from last months new comers.

The rest is, as the saying goes, is history.

Starting with a clean drawing board, there is a vast potential to produce winners, time will tell.

Two

2 hours ago, Silversurf said:

I expect there is still a sour taste and wary dealers left after the last 2-3 years debacle.

Not just dealers - what about the suppliers of all the fixtures and fittings such as AL-KO, Alde, Thetford, Dometic etc etc - there's a long list of manufacturers of all the other bits and pieces needed to make a caravan.

I see that the Administrators have given a report to Companies House dated Feb 2021 - does anyone fancy reading the 35 pages and trying to explain it all . . . . . . . !

Click Here for Feb 2021 Administrator's Report

26 minutes ago, DerbyClubman said:

I see that the Administrators have given a report to Companies House dated Feb 2021 - does anyone fancy reading the 35 pages and trying to explain it all . . . . . . . !

Click Here for Feb 2021 Administrator's Report

Access denied...  I'd have liked to have read that report.

6 minutes ago, ReggiePerrin said:

Access denied...  I'd have liked to have read that report.

I have just followed the link again and it's working OK for me. How odd that you haven't been able to access the site - it's a public document for all to see on the Companies House website - perhaps find it yourself by searching.

Can you open the main page here ? if so then click on 'Filing History' which gives copies of all of the documents.

Companies House page for Lunar Caravans

Thanks, I'll have s look...  this is the message I get from the link though...

AccessDeniedRequest has expired602021-05-06T18:03:07Z2021-05-06T18:58:55ZAYBTPV421HT6RV13yvRyPmLkLSHjprFtUkROL0JaIzbcP1Z9dtoxhXiSYSRZYefVoksSCYhPEXL2Mbxg7nj6iv8Wu1M=