Lunar Automotive - The end is almost here!

On 15/12/2020 at 12:38, ReggiePerrin said:

There is I believe, at least two secured creditors,  Barclays Bank and Distribution Finance Capital Limited that will get first dibs on any assets (probably nothing).

I doubt if there will be anything of any consequence left, if anything , after the liquidators have been paid who are first in the queue.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

fwiw ... Nice  idea, but as I see it CT members cant even have a chat about Toilet chemicals without it descending into an on-line row and handbags so building new Caravans as a mutual  ?- you sa

The rotton part of this company failure is that the emloyees have been messed about, retained without pay, and then finally told they aren't getting paid. Right before Christmas. This is disgusting.  

After due consideration "I'm out"

Posted Images

On 27/12/2020 at 19:09, handyandy said:

Any news on what happened Kepler? Did they move out or cough up?!

They are out of Strand Road now and have put what they could get out into storage in Blackpool. Still plenty of stock, racking and a few machines left behind though.

I believe they now have around 10 production staff still on the books and the majority of those wouldn't now go back if asked.

It would be a miracle if they ever managed to get back into any sort of production again. Suppliers don't want to know them, dealers don't want to know them and the few staff they have left don't want to know them.

Presumably what is left was either rented or not worth  the cost of moving. True no one would trust the current management and only someone buying the name etc. could save them and that now looks very unlikely.

I don’t know how much Lunar Automotive own. I think Lunar Holdings probably still own the intellectual property and trade mark etc. I seem to remember that they originally had to pay holdings for their use. 

If they did not get the intellectual property and trade marks it sounds like a poor deal. You get the feeling that the purchasers really did not know what they were doing.

• 2 weeks later...

Anymore news on Lunar Automotive  or is that it....?

I think it is probably too late now for anything more to happen as other than the name, which is not worth a lot, there seems to be nothing left of value. Difficult to see why anyone would bother now.

4 hours ago, Wildwood said:

........ as other than the name, which is not worth a lot, there seems to be nothing left of value. ......

Think if anyone was wanting to set up caravan manufacture I would think plenty of old names to buy/use than "leaky Lunar".   Think the nick names still remembered.

Hi - Does anyone know the latest on Lunar Automotive? My dealer doesn't know anything but it would very much seem that there will be no warranty work done should owners need it?

It seems inexplicable to buy the remains of the company from administrators and then do nothing whatsoever with it.

Website still works but absolutely no contact info.

John

12 minutes ago, sharpsr8 said:

Hi - Does anyone know the latest on Lunar Automotive? My dealer doesn't know anything but it would very much seem that there will be no warranty work done should owners need it?

It seems inexplicable to buy the remains of the company from administrators and then do nothing whatsoever with it.

Website still works but absolutely no contact info.

John

Sadly there was never any Lunar Automotive warranty for their own caravans, they never made any other than a few Lunar prototypes re-badged.

They said that they would, in certain circumstances honour the old Lunar warranty, but I think that never happened according to lots of posts on CT at the time.

Was, is, your dealer a Lunar Automotive agent, if he doesn't know, or any other dealer in the general dealer community don't know, it speaks volumes.

Ref. the website, that's just the old Lunar site with a few tweaks by Automotive and as again from folk on CT who have been unable to get contact by either phone or email for around 12 months at least.

So yes, not promising, they got thrown out of the factory in Preston for debts with what is left of equipment etc. now in storage in Blackpool.

Thanks - pretty much what I had thought - seems like a dead duck in the water!

In early 2019, I had a few build quality issues with my (very expensive) Alaria TR. I wrote to senior management at the factory and was pretty underwhelmed with a total lack of concern or response. The girl on the switchboard and a very helpful guy called Justin on the factory floor was as far as I got.

On refection, the writing was very much on the wall! Van has been trouble free since which is good because it looks like I'll have it for a good while!!

I think the company was a victim of the Covid shut down. The new owners did get new demo models built, but had problems with the old owners who still owned the factory so took on a new factory and moved the equipment. They were then forced to close down, and it looks like they simply could not get through the lockdown and abandoned the business. It does make you wonder about their integrity, but we will never know what might have been.

5 minutes ago, Wildwood said:

I think the company was a victim of the Covid shut down. The new owners did get new demo models built, but had problems with the old owners who still owned the factory so took on a new factory and moved the equipment. They were then forced to close down, and it looks like they simply could not get through the lockdown and abandoned the business. It does make you wonder about their integrity, but we will never know what might have been.

An interesting perspective, I rather think that they were simply clueless!

But, as you say, "we will never know what might have been".

Either way, it would have been a decent thing to at least of communicated with dealers and then end users would have understood the situation even if they were not happy. I suspect many dealers are out of pocket in one way r another

7 minutes ago, sharpsr8 said:

Either way, it would have been a decent thing to at least of communicated with dealers and then end users would have understood the situation even if they were not happy. I suspect many dealers are out of pocket in one way r another

Company liquidations and eventual demise are normally surrounded by people not knowing what's happening and a great many people often end up out of pocket. That's just the way things are!

49 minutes ago, BucksDad said:

Even basically honest businessmen will often resort to all manner of shady tricks to hopefully prevent their firms from going under, generally deluding even themselves that they will put it all right when the business turns the corner.

Unite Press Release

Immediate release: Wednesday 13 January 2021

A probe called for into the boss of Preston firm where workers are owed up to £170,000 in unpaid wages.

An urgent investigation into allegations that the owner of Lunar Automotive in Preston has not paid his workforce to the tune of about £170,000 while they have been furloughed has been called for by Unite, Britain and Ireland’s largest trade union.

Unite wants HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) to probe the business affairs of the company’s owner Nicholas Marks into allegations that he claimed money from the taxpayer-funded job retention scheme (JRS), but did pass onto the 45-strong workforce who have not been paid since August last year.

The activities of Nicholas Marks were raised in the Commons by Iain Duncan Smith over a social enterprise called Clarity Products employing those with disabilities which was taken over by Mr Marks a year ago.

The former Tory leader said that many of the ‘decent, but very vulnerable people’ at Clarity had not received their wages or support for childcare and national insurance contributions not been paid. The sum totalled £200,000, MPs were told.

Unite said that the company, previously known as Lunar Caravans, was taken over by Mr Marks in August 2019, but no caravans have been produced since then. The workforce was furloughed in March last year, and the equipment and machinery has been moved to a site in Blackpool.

Unite regional officer Dave Kennedy said: “We are calling for HMRC and The Pensions Regulator (TPR) to conduct urgent investigations into the affairs of Nicholas Marks. Our members at Lunar Automotive are owed about £170,000 in unpaid wages – they have not been paid for five months.

“We asking HMRC and TPR to investigate the non-payment of JRS wages, plus the whereabouts of our members’ pension contributions from August 2019 to the present day which appear to have disappeared into thin air.

“We understand that money was received under the job retention scheme, but not passed onto the workforce. If these allegations are true, it is a very a serious matter as it involves cash from the hard-pressed taxpayer.

“It also has caused deep distress to our members worried about their jobs and facing severe financial hardship as they are currently due five months’ back pay. Some of them have been forced to turn to local food banks to put food on their families’ tables.

“We need to join up the dots of Mr Marks’ business activities, given that Iain Duncan Smith has raised separate concerns to MPs about a social enterprise, Clarity Products that he is involved with. Serious questions need to be asked about Mr Marks’ fitness to hold company directorships.”

Support for the Preston workers has come from the town’s MP Sir Mark Hendrick who has written to chancellor Rishi Sunak and HMRC about ‘their employer withholding furlough money and pension contributions’.

https://parliamentlive.tv/Download/Index/203951ee-bcce-406c-b22a-05f4fd4d7023

Bit of a news snippet here

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition 2007 Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

Sad and aggravating, my 2015 Venus is damp again it's already had thousands spent in damp repairs it's damp again and it has the notorious front window crack.

I'll probably be able to keep it usable with a lot of mastic sealant but it's essentially worthless. 

Personally I have found the whole industry reminds me of the 70's car industry, don't care about end users, not too bothered about quality as long as the dealers are happy all is good.

Oh well .......

Ora

28 minutes ago, ora8i said:

Personally I have found the whole industry reminds me of the 70's car industry, don't care about end users, not too bothered about quality as long as the dealers are happy all is good.

Agreed, I've never been comfortable with the warranty being with the dealer, and not the manufacturer. Even if you buy from a great dealer, they can turn bad over time, with new owners etc. If the dealer goes bust your left hoping that the manufacturer will assign you a different one.

I realise that other dealers don't want your warranty repair work as theres no money in it for them, but this just adds to the problem. I choose not to use my dealer for servicing and repair work and go instead to an independent Swift approved workshop, but then Im lucky that I live near one, many don't.

Edited by JCCD
47 minutes ago, JCCD said:

Agreed, I've never been comfortable with the warranty being with the dealer, and not the manufacturer. Even if you buy from a great dealer, they can turn bad over time, with new owners etc. If the dealer goes bust your left hoping that the manufacturer will assign you a different one.

I realise that other dealers don't want your warranty repair work as theres no money in it for them, but this just adds to the problem. I choose not to use my dealer for servicing and repair work and go instead to an independent Swift approved workshop, but then Im lucky that I live near one, many don't.

But the warranty IS with the manufacturer! However, caravan manufacturers choose to fulfil the warranty through their dealer network. It is the CRA that puts obligations on the dealer.

It is mainly just the car industry where there is an overarching agreement for warranty work to be done by any dealer, rather than just the supplying dealer.

2 hours ago, JCCD said:

So if the Swift approved workshop finds a problem covered by warranty, where do you go to have a warranty claim submitted to Swift?  Can your approved workshop submit a claim (most cannot) or do you then have to go to the Original supplying Dealer anyway?