Newbie Asking About Hyundai Terracan

Fudge

Hi there,

We bought a Terracan in November - not an auto though. We've only towed a couple of times so far on shortish journeys (100 miles round trips). We tow a Bailey Ranger 510/4 - 1237kg fully loaded and at around 55% of the car's 2265kg kerbweight. We hardly know the 'van is there. It seems to be quite thirsty when towing but we have hardly done much towing and we've been told that when the diesel engine 'loosens up' it will return a better mpg - here's hoping!

We went for the leather seats/trim option - pale grey upholstery and carpets are not the ideal choice especially when you've got kids/dogs. We also had the reversing sensors and by-pass switch fitted (so you can switch off when the 'van's hitched up) and have found it useful. The boot carpet is also pale grey - so the boot tray might be useful too - one's on our shopping list!

As for driving it - it takes a bit of getting used to but we love it. Three three point seatbelts in the back makes for better passenger safety too.

We are 'chuffied to bits' with the car and can only suggest a test drive - let us know how you get on!

Paul and Frances

• 3 months later...

Hia

Had two terracans both manual- the first was the older 140bhp, the latter the new 160bhp and it is great. We tow a Bailey Ranger 550/6 not a particually heavy van, but the Terracan offers plenty of power, very very little shifting up and down the gear box is required, even on those very long steap motorway drags heading down to Cornwall etc. It is easy to forget the van is on the back! Loads of torque, at low revs, just where you want it.

Have towed pretty extensivly with the car, and no issues what so ever. Reliable, fair mpg for a heavy motor, body roll will take a little gettin used to perhaps if you are comming from a normal car, but overall a real good value for monery deal, especially with the Hyundai unlimited mileage 5 year warranty. Switchable four weel drive, has proved very usefull for pullin out on some very wet and muddy fields, giving confidence to go whatever the weather!

Recomend the boot liner, to protect the impracticle grey carpet! Also purchased the Hyundai 'dog guard', very substantial and allows safe loading of the boot, to the roof if needed, without fear of the load falling forward and contrary to what the dealer told me, you can fit that behind the load cover. A rear load lugger!

Would highly recomend.

Hi Fudge,

We've been looking for a new tow car over the past couple of weeks and have looked at just about everything. The Terracan was one of the motors along with a Honda CRV and Kia Sorento. Eventually decided on the Sorrento today purely on size, weight and drive. From reading around all the motors pull like trains with the Honda being the lightest.

Happy searching David (PS you dont fancy a Volvo V70?) :)

Hi Fudge,

We've been looking for a new tow car over the past couple of weeks and have looked at just about everything. The Terracan was one of the motors along with a Honda CRV and Kia Sorento. Eventually decided on the Sorrento today purely on size, weight and drive. From reading around all the motors pull like trains with the Honda being the lightest.

24937[/snapback]

Hi Fudge,

24937[/snapback]

Hia

have you towed with a V70? looking today at a D5. Only problem with terracan at the mo is that looking to buy a small sailing boat, like a Topper and need to be able to but it on the roof of the car so can take it away with the van. Also, the terracan is a bit high to get the bike on and off the roof, so thought would consider the volly!

Any feedback on the V70 D5 would be appreciated.

Thanks

johnL,

our V70 is a 2. 5 10 valve petrol. We tow an Avondale Argente 530/5 MTPLM 1340kg . The V70 pulls this quite easily returning about the low 20's mpg. Max tow weight is 1600kg so the Avondale is well within its limits if this is any help. I know quite a few member who post have D5's and love em. David

• 2 weeks later...
johnL,

our V70 is a 2. 5 10 valve petrol. We tow an Avondale Argente 530/5 MTPLM 1340kg . The V70 pulls this quite easily returning about the low 20's mpg. Max tow weight is 1600kg so the Avondale is well within its limits if this is any help.   I know quite a few member who post have D5's and love em. David

24987[/snapback]

Ok the observant readers will see I bought a Freelander Td4, went to 3 Hyundai garages, two had terracan demos that couldn't be driven becuase there were bits robbed off them for cusomers cars, and one had a fuel pipe robbed from a Tuscon, when asked about parts availability they didnt think there was a problem,but the last garage i went to i bumped into a technician in the carpark near their parts department, he thought I had just left the office and didn't see what i ws driving, the conversation went. ...

me. ... Hello. ..

Him. ... alright,

me. .. gettin bits is a right pain. ...

him. .. tell us about it. ...

me. .. see ya!

I ran away. ....

I couldn't handle that, they might have a 5 year warranty but either I had a very bad experience or this is the norm. ...

me. ... Hello. ..

Him. ... alright,

me. .. gettin bits is a right pain. ...

him. .. tell us about it. ...

me. .. see ya!

I ran away. ....

26471[/snapback]

Sneaky. ... I like it

:D:D:D:D

Hia

have you towed with a V70? looking today at a D5.   Only problem with terracan at the mo is that looking to buy a small sailing boat, like a Topper and need to be able to but it on the roof of the car so can take it away with the van.   Also, the terracan is a bit high to get the bike on and off the roof, so thought would consider the volly!

Any feedback on the V70 D5 would be appreciated.

Thanks

24951[/snapback]

I tow with a V70 D5 and can rave for hours about it. ....

It's a great towcar and pulls my 1400kg Avondale without any problem. Returns 42mpg solo and 26-28 towing at French motorway speeds. You can put 70kg on roof I think.

Get self levelling suspension if at all possible.

If you want any more information send me an email or pm.

keatb@aol. com

In my time I have owned Fords, Vauxhall's, Toyotas, Rovers, Nissans, Volvos.

I now own a Terracan. Fantastic towcar and the dealership is second to none.

Don't now why I bothered with all the other makes.

Andy