Charging car battery through towbar 13 pin socket

Like many of us, my towcar hasn't been used much this year.

I finally got around to making up a lead for the Ctek to connect directly to the towbar socket and charge the battery.  It works a treat - I don't even have to lift the bonnet!

Pins 9 and 13.

2 hours ago, Will deBeast said:

Like many of us, my towcar hasn't been used much this year.

I finally got around to making up a lead for the Ctek to connect directly to the towbar socket and charge the battery.  It works a treat - I don't even have to lift the bonnet!

Pins 9 and 13.

It think it would depends on what type of car and towbar wiring you have. I noticed your car is a Yes :D. Does it have a factory fit towbar?

Edited by Ern

Ern

48 minutes ago, Ern said:

It think it would depends on what type of car and towbar wiring you have. I noticed your car is a Yes :D. Does it have a factory fit towbar?

I just don't understand why people do that. 

Also they want help with their caravan but don't tell you what caravan they have... WHY?

• I do not understand 1

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

11 minutes ago, Doosan said:

… Also they want help with their caravan but don't tell you what caravan they have... WHY?

I’m not sure that the OP is asking for help - I think he’s giving us a tip about something he’s done 🙂.

John

• I agree completely 1
9 minutes ago, Johnaldo said:

I’m not sure that the OP is asking for help - I think he’s giving us a tip about something he’s done 🙂.

John

I agree.

I have been doing it for a number of years now via my 13 pin socket, did it before with my older socket.

Works a treat, car locked fully and alarmed, just put a reminder not on my gear selector so as not drive off and rip the back end out of my garage. :P

20201201_110052.thumb.jpg.a3eb73f62c3841c35bc485d58c13347d.jpg

• I agree completely 1

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front - Discovery 4. Wheels at the back - Bessacarr 845.

I think the efficiency of this does depend on the size of wire used by the towbar fitter. In many cases this is far too small making the operation inefficient. Assuming you do not have the engine running there is  also a risk of flattening the cars battery if it is not in the best of health.

• I do not understand 3
3 minutes ago, Wildwood said:

I think the efficiency of this does depend on the size of wire used by the towbar fitter. In many cases this is far too small making the operation inefficient. Assuming you do not have the engine running there is  also a risk of flattening the cars battery if it is not in the best of health.

The cable has the same capacity either direction. You are unlikely to flatten the car battery by charging it.

Ern

I do this as well especially this year with weeks sometimes elapsing between using the car. It works very well - the Ctek shows the battery being fully charged after being connected overnight.

It doesn't need very heavy cable as we're only talking about a few amps - the Ctek is maximum 5 IIRC.

• I agree completely 1

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2, 1955 Francis Barnett Cruiser 75

1 hour ago, Doosan said:

I just don't understand why people do that. 

Also they want help with their caravan but don't tell you what caravan they have... WHY?

Not asking for help.  Just giving a tip which others may find helpful.

2 hours ago, Ern said:

Doesn't matter as long as the permanent live (pins 9 and 13) are permanently live (I appreciate some may not be).

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Will deBeast said:

Doesn't matter as long as the permanent live (pins 9 and 13) are permanently live (I appreciate some may not be).

Volvo XC60 being a good example. Pin 9 shuts off a couple of minutes after switching off the engine. 

5 hours ago, Johnaldo said:

John

I think you misunderstood what I was referring too. I was answering Ern's sentence in his post ( I noticed your car is a Yes ) that I couldn't see why the OP  put YES to the question in his profile to TOWCAR and that's all.

I hope that clears that misunderstanding.

34 minutes ago, Doosan said:

I think you misunderstood what I was referring too. I was answering Ern's sentence in his post ( I noticed your car is a Yes ) that I couldn't see why the OP  put YES to the question in his profile to TOWCAR and that's all.

I hope that clears that misunderstanding.

and I put a smiley after the word "yes". Wake up at the back please. :)

• Haha 1
  • I disagree 2

Ern

37 minutes ago, Ern said:

and I put a smiley after the word "yes". Wake up at the back please. :)

Wide awake here Ern ;)

In my post I was commenting about the lack of information on the make of caravan, you mentioned the car.:blink:

• I do not understand 1
  • Sad 1
  • I disagree 1

I’m very confused!

a good tip by the OP! 

the towbar wiring is plenty thick enough to trickle charge a 12v battery

used a lot by older Defender owners like me & you can by them ready made if you need,

https://www.disco3.co.uk/shop/tow-electrics-charger-adapter-ctek-accumate-optimate-sae-noco-etc-p45.html

That's where I had mine from, link above that is.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front - Discovery 4. Wheels at the back - Bessacarr 845.