Living on the border of a tier 3/2 area!

Well we live in an area which is tier 3, but we do all our shopping in what is a tier 2 area.  We are right on the border!
Creates a bit of a quandary!

Still think we will carry on shopping where we have done for years!

• I do not understand 1

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thank goodness covid will only transmit dangerously tomorrow and not today.   If only people could use a bit of common sense and not mix we would not have lockdown but hey, lets not blame us the

It depends what type of society you wish to reside in.  One which doesn't trust you in the slightest, forcibly restricts everything you can do for the long term even though disobedience is likely to b

I know all those selfish kids going to school and those inconsiderate covidiots living and working in care homes, not forgetting those terrible people going to work to earn a living.  Its not being sp

Posted Images

We're in the same boat.  We'll be in Tier 3 tomorrow and the border with Tier 2 is at the bottom of our garden.  The annoying thing is that the rate on our side of the border is currently at 125.2 and over the border it's 190.7.

Just to be on the safe side, we're crossing the border today to do the shopping.

2017 Lunar Solaris 462, Mercedes B200 Exec CDI Auto

Not quite as bad for us as we are in Scottish tier four and so are the other two areas that surround us. We are in one of those odd places where the boundary the M74 runs through between two authorities and we are not supposed to visit other authority areas except if it is necessary. In our case most of the shops, our doctors and the dentist are over the border, so we have no real choice but to go there. Not sure if we could get away with it if the two areas were in different tiers.

I thought that if you were in Tier 3 that's where you had to stay and only cross over to a different tier for work or school.   However seeing all what's going on on the TV , I'm wondering if people are growing weary of all the rules. I asked before about the rules and Gordon kindly  informed me  that there are must do rules and should do ones , but I think that in your case , staying on your side of tier 3 is a must do rule.

• I agree completely 1
36 minutes ago, joanie said:

... I think that in your case , staying on your side of tier 3 is a must do rule.

Yes, that's why we went shopping today while we're in tier 2.  Tomorrow we'll be in Tier 3.

I've no problem with tiers in general, only when an entire county is placed in a tier because of a few local hotspots. 

Had the government delegated responsibility to local authorities or county councils for tier allocation , I don't think they would have had as many problems with their MPs.

24 minutes ago, Crannoghome said:

Yes, that's why we went shopping today while we're in tier 2.  Tomorrow we'll be in Tier 3.

I've no problem with tiers in general, only when an entire county is placed in a tier because of a few local hotspots. 

Had the government delegated responsibility to local authorities or county councils for tier allocation , I don't think they would have had as many problems with their MPs.

The smaller the boundary, the greater the number of different models - cf Wales, Scotland etc.

Sam :beardy:   RR Sport HSE Dynamic towing Swift Elegance Grande 845

1 hour ago, Crannoghome said:

I think the government found trying to involve local leaders in agreeing tiers did not work. Look at what happened with Greater Manchester and Andy Burnham. Trying to involve him meant introducing measures was delayed and in the end they had to ignore him and will not make the same mistake again.

1 hour ago, Crannoghome said:

Thank goodness covid will only transmit dangerously tomorrow and not today.  

If only people could use a bit of common sense and not mix we would not have lockdown but hey, lets not blame us the people lets find someone else to blame.  An example, i will be tier 3 tomorrow so I travelled today cos today i'm tier 2 so I must be safer but tomorrow I wont be as safe.  wow covid is smart.

macafee2

• Haha 3
  • I disagree 2
  • I agree completely 3

According to Crannoghome's profile, he/she is in Lincolnshire so not actually tier 2 today but in the England lock down but when the lock down ends will be in tier 3.

Last night on the BBC local news it said the Lincoln and Boston hospitals had 253 patients in there with covid so are pretty full, hence the need for Lincolnshire to be in tier 3. A Lincs MP (I think) who has been vocal about not wanting to be in tier 3 said in the southern area of Lincs the infection rate is lower and that rather than go further into Lincs for shopping and hospitals people would go south to Peterborough (Northamptonshire) which will be tier 2 and therefore a reason for south Lincs to be tier 2 - a feeble excuse in my mind. 

8 minutes ago, macafee2 said:

An example, i will be tier 3 tomorrow so I travelled today cos today i'm tier 2 so I must be safer but tomorrow I wont be as safe.  wow covid is smart.

No, that's not the reason at all.  Tomorrow I can't go shopping from a Tier 3 area to a Tier 2 area, at least that's my understanding of the rules.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

As I said in my first post, the rate on our side of the border is currently at 125.2 and over the border it's 190.7, so today I'm statistically safer staying on my side of the border, just as I will be tomorrow when we change tiers.

As regard to comment about people, I fully agree with you.  If people had stuck to the rules there would likely have been no significant second wave.  And I'm not finding someone else to blame, just commenting that targetted, proportional responses are usually better than a broad brush, one-size-fits-all approach, hence the devolved responsibility from central government to local authorities comment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joanie said:

However seeing all what's going on on the TV , I'm wondering if people are growing weary of all the rules

I don't know why the government are bothering really, everyone i know has pretty much given up and stretching the rules as far as they can. Somewhat understandably when the kids can go to school, we can got to work, the pub, shops, gyms, football stadiums but you cant have your family over for sunday roast in your own house. 

Lockdown is easy to understand but the tiers will be treated with pretty much the same contempt as the rule of 6 etc. 

Edited by tom_1989
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Crannoghome said:

Since many councillors are also business owners in their areas, giving them the opportunity to keep businesses open would have meant their completely disregarding health issues in favour of the money in their pockets.  

8 hours ago, Crannoghome said:

We're in the same boat.  We'll be in Tier 3 tomorrow and the border with Tier 2 is at the bottom of our garden.  The annoying thing is that the rate on our side of the border is currently at 125.2 and over the border it's 190.7.

Just to be on the safe side, we're crossing the border today to do the shopping.

We are in the same position gone from tier 1 today  to tier 3  tomorrow so we went and done a big meat shop yesterday not good .

take care stay safe 

Martin

Sorry folks, I'm completely losing the plot with tier this and tier that, and covering whatever area.  I'll help Fly-Fifer with his battery.  Far easier:lol:

• Like 1
  • I disagree 1
  • I agree completely 1
2 hours ago, Paul1957 said:

According to Crannoghome's profile, he/she is in Lincolnshire so not actually tier 2 today but in the England lock down but when the lock down ends will be in tier 3.

Last night on the BBC local news it said the Lincoln and Boston hospitals had 253 patients in there with covid so are pretty full, hence the need for Lincolnshire to be in tier 3. A Lincs MP (I think) who has been vocal about not wanting to be in tier 3 said in the southern area of Lincs the infection rate is lower and that rather than go further into Lincs for shopping and hospitals people would go south to Peterborough (Northamptonshire) which will be tier 2 and therefore a reason for south Lincs to be tier 2 - a feeble excuse in my mind. 

Peterborough is a unitary authority so technically not in a county. It was in Northamptonshire until 1965 when it was moved into Huntingdonshire. Huntingdon has since been absorbed administratively into Cambridgeshire.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

Got to have my eyes tested! Optician is in a tier 2 area , we are in tier 3 area! Still going though!

Been with him for forty years so not changing now!

• I disagree 2
  • I agree completely 1

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

1 hour ago, PR1 said:

Got to have my eyes tested! Optician is in a tier 2 area , we are in tier 3 area! Still going though!

Been with him for forty years so not changing now!

Could always just drive to Barnard Castle...That works just as well apparently :ph34r:

Trevor.

6 minutes ago, reluctant said:

Could always just drive to Barnard Castle...That works just as well apparently :ph34r:

We will just travel the country lanes to get there?

The trouble with adopting smaller (or granular areas) for Tiers and therefore being able to allow for more local situations is that folk won't know what applies where even more than they do now.

I'm not sure where that Lincs MP got his figures about South Lincs but on the Covid map it's one of the very last areas coloured purple i.e the highest level of infection.

We're in Tier 3 and the Shropshire (Tier 2) border is half a mile west and the Cheshire (Tier 2) border is half a mile north west, but there are so many dispensations that it does make you wonder if there's anyone who can't find a valid reason to travel 3 to 2.

And supposedly most transmission takes place indoors and between relatives/close friends hence the restriction on group sizes etc.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Tier one, tier two, tier three, partial lockdown, full lockdown, conflicting info, rules and recommendations changing by the hour or day, the old adage " It aint over till the fat lady sings " still rings true. 😂

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

19 hours ago, Crannoghome said:

I believe that the highest risk areas are the most populated ones, therefore placing the countryside between towns in the same high tier as the urban areas does appear to be somewhat OTT. I say this as one who lives within a town ring road and therefore potentionally face a higher risk that those living in the surrounding open countryside, yet both are in the same tier :blink:

Apart from the first few weeks (when we had no other option for food) we have not visited any shops in person but instead have only made purchases online. We have not ventured far from home and the MH has only moved once to obtain a legally required MOT test, otherwisee it has been square wheeled beside the house slowly depreciating without providing the holidays for which it was purchased.  We have not been able to visit friends or family since March so like many thousands of others, we remain cut off from society and will be spending Christmas alone at home :(

Most people's lives are currently on hold through no fault of their own, while covidiots go their own way and jeopardise the health of all :angry:

• I agree completely 1

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

1 hour ago, Gordon said:

Most people's lives are currently on hold through no fault of their own, while covidiots go their own way and jeopardise the health of all :angry:

I know all those selfish kids going to school and those inconsiderate covidiots living and working in care homes, not forgetting those terrible people going to work to earn a living.  Its not being spread by people being stupid its being spread by normal people living their lives.

Edited by tom_1989
  • Sad 1
  • I disagree 4
11 minutes ago, tom_1989 said:

I know all those selfish kids going to school and those inconsiderate covidiots living and working in care homes, not forgetting those terrible people going to work to earn a living.  Its not being spread by people being stupid its being spread by normal people living their lives.

I have to say that whilst what you say is in part true..

People going to work/school who are no doubt coming into contact with others and are passing on the virus.

There is also without doubt an element of what is alluded to...people going out and about just because they want to (the so called covidiots) and they are also spreading the virus and coming into contact with others.

The first group are spreading it unwittingly and perhaps unwillingly. The second group just don't seem to care for anyone else at all, so long as they get on with life as they want to. You only have to look at the parties. wedding events etc publicised by the media outlets where people have been fined for unlawful assemblies, and the large numbers in towns partying before lockdown to see that there is an element of covidiots around too!

Edited by reluctant
  • Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

Trevor.