Looking to buy a static new if price is right

Depends where you are wanting to site it. Some sites only sell their own vans

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

First thing you need is to decide where you want the van to be, then go and look at the sites in the area and speak to the managers. Some will have preferences about which units they will allow, and even if they have room!!.

Go from there.

Hi . My sister purchased a new static earlier this year. She went to the caravan show in Glasgow to look into getting one and to get advice. Every salesman at the show said the same thing don’t get to hung up on a certain manufacturer the most important thing is to find a park and location that you like and speak to the park and they will supply the van and site it for you .My sister did that and got lovely van a good deal at a site outside St Andrews. Good luck 

My advice, for what it’s worth, would be to look at exactly how many days/weeks you would actually use a static, then look at the cost of renting a static for that period. Then compare that cost with the overall cost of purchase and all of the additional costs such as annual sire fees, gas, insurance, depreciation and work out how many totally stress/trouble free years you could rent for the cost of buying new.

Don’t ever lose sight of the fact that many sites will only permit mobile homes up to a certain age to remain on their site. At the end of that period you will be responsible for getting it moved off site and relocating to another site (neither of which are cheap exercises) 

Also it’s usual practice for you to only be able sell your sited caravan via the site management, and they will want a percentage of the selling price plus admin fees etc. 

Please do do your homework very thoroughly before committing to such and expensive purchase.

Be ruled by your head NOT your heart! 

• I agree completely 2

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

Hello and welcome.

The way your post is phrased sounds as if you are thinking about buying the static and then finding somewhere to put it.

There is a very good reason why all the above advice is to find the park first - very few parks allow "bring-ons"; you buy the static via the park, regardless of whether it is a show home already on site, or one that has to be manufactured for you.

As said, first the area, then the park, then the pitch within the park, and lastly the van itself.

A van that is maybe not quite right but that is on the right pitch on the right park in the right location will make you happy.

A van that is perfect but on the wrong park or wrong location will never be satisfactory.

Of course, if you have your own land or already have a pitch and the park owner is happy for you to buy from any manufacturer, this advice is all useless - sorry.

We ordered a static home from a British company for delivery to Portugal, everything was going swinging well until Covid 19 it got delayed and further delayed now delivery is May 2021, we went to other company’s same story, we are now going to build a wooden frame house.

When we bought a holiday apartment a few years ago, we were given a very useful piece of information.  Never buy anywhere that you cannot get to within a couple of hours because you won't get enough use out of it.  It was lovely to get into the car on a Friday evening and two hours later be on the coast.  Ask yourself this, if I buy somewhere a 5 or 6 hour trip away, how often are we actually going to go?  Or are you hoping to do the American retiree thing where they spend the winter six months in Florida, and the summer's up North?

Taking into account all the above good advice, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with having a good look at all the static manufacturers models so that when someone does find the site they want to site their van on, they can tell the site which caravan they’re interested in.

Our site was happy to buy from  whichever manufacturer we wanted them to.

• I agree completely 1

Some sites say no age limit, but what they do is move the older vans to a less better part of the site. They just re site the persons van or give them a  choice to update if they can afford to. There is no choice.

Ken, sorry, I realise I didn’t answer your original question.

We have a Pemberton and there were two reasons why we plumped for it.

It has the layout we wanted, without fixed seating. Instead, it has two free standing sofas, one of which converts into a double bed. It doesn’t have built in shelving or a fireplace either, neither of which we wanted.

The other thing is the decor and colour scheme. I really couldn’t live with some of the flowery, patterned curtains and upholstery which some statics have.

The best thing to do, perhaps, is get in touch with as many manufacturers as you can and get them to send you a brochure, or go online and have a good look at them there.

Once you’ve seen any potential winners then find out where you can see one in the flesh. We went to a number of holiday home sites to view the various models with no intention of buying on that site. We also went to the Pemberton factory.

Good luck, I’m sure you’ll find what you want 😊

My personal recommendation would be Prestige Park & Leisure homes

https://prestigeparkandleisurehomes.co.uk/leisure-lodges-2/

As they are all made to residential spec, they are expensive - but their build quality is generally accepted to be very good, and their after-sales service is also very good (ALL new builds have snags - but some companies are better are dealing with them than others).

You can tweak the layout and decor to suit at the pre-order and design stage.

Hi Ken,

We had a static in Fife for ten seasons, have now recently bought a tourer !

The main thing you need to understand about  static caravan life, is that your caravan investment

( yes it may look like a lodge or a house, but it's still legally a caravan )  sits on

someone else's land !      So they make ALL the rules.  With a large tourer caravan, if you fall out

or just don't like the way the site is being run................. you just hitch up and leave !

Not as simple if you have a  40 x 12 static !  Be very careful.  Their rules , fees and service may change.

We tried to find another site to move the static to, but no decent site wanted us !  They just want

to sell you their own static caravan.  We ended up having to sell it to the site for sweeties !

The park owners are all aware of this problem and can exploit it.

Once bitten twice shy ......... be very careful.  One very large UK caravan park operator has 

recently been in the news, for sending letters out to static owners to upgrade or move off !

Many longstanding customers with lovely well looked after vans too.

Also read tripadvisor reviews of any possible parks.

Good Luck.

• Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...

If you are thinking of buying a used  static caravan on a caravan park watch the BBC 1 TV  programme "Rip off Britain " (  on catch up.).....it was aired on TV at 9.15am Friday 8th January 2021 .... Interesting item about age limits !

• I agree completely 1