Elddis Avanté 554 heating vents … are they right?

Johnaldo

The Whale heating in my van produces a good amount of heat, but tends to push it all out to the lounge and bedroom with very little making it to the rear-end bathroom.

The lounge and bedroom vents cannot be closed, but the bathroom one has a rotating flap …

1E25F973-FC71-4DB7-9E5E-815C143A6E27.thumb.jpeg.ada39308765a8f20adc6789a658c0f1b.jpeg

Now, I don’t see the point of being able to close off the bathroom vent, because heat will just be lost trying to go down the final 2 metres of ducting.

I feel it would be better to be able to close the other two vents if required. In fact, the bedroom gets enough heat from the lounge vent, so currently I lean a piece of wood against it and the remaining hot air then travels down to the bathroom.

So, my questions are -  -  Do you think the vents have been fitted correctly? Has anyone got a 554 and can confirm theirs are the same?  Has anyone tried changing the vents over (I have but it seems like they’re either screwed or glued in place)?

All advice gratefully received.

John

Edited by Johnaldo

You don't say where the outlets are in relation to the source of the heat.

You need to balance the airflow coming out of all 3 such that the same amount of heat comes to each.

In reality this means part closing the vents nearest the fan and fully opening the ones at the end of the ducting run.

The heat won't get "lost" on its way to the furthest vent. Initially, it will have to warm up the ducting, but once that is warm, the heat will reach the vent, and anyway, the duct is still giving out heat inside the van.

The back of your hand is enough, you don't need any fancy airflow kit.

Just a thought, are you sure the ducts haven't come adrift and are actually connected to the vents?

Edited by daveat92

Swift Group do the same thing in some vans, however illogical it seems.

The vents are easy enough to change over to the flap kind, just twist them and they unscrew from the panel and the air hose.

I've actually disconnected and blanked off the first outlet nearest the heater in an attempt to get more heat to the front of the van. It's warm around the heater at the back of the van anyway so the vent isn't really needed. No proper experiments to prove its done anything, but in my mind it must be!

Have a play. I used a method of blanking off that can easily be reverted.

Edited by swirly182

8 hours ago, daveat92 said:

You don't say where the outlets are in relation to the source of the heat.

Dave, heater and pipes shown in black, outlets at red arrows …

B8391909-AE17-4FED-B04D-9C24B00EBC84.jpeg.fe474e9d598c1ccd104ba9f323582d66.jpeg

In reality this means part closing the vents nearest the fan and fully opening the ones at the end of the ducting run.

The 2 vents nearest the heater (lounge and bedroom) cannot be shut, the bathroom one can.

Just a thought, are you sure the ducts haven't come adrift and are actually connected to the vents?

Yes, all ducts work … it’s just that hot air on the way to the bathroom all gets dragged into the bedroom, but there’s no vent in the bedroom to partially close.

8 hours ago, Stevan said:

The vents are easy enough to change over to the flap kind, just twist them and they unscrew from the panel and the air hose.

I’ve tried that Stevan, and they don’t seem to want to budge ☹️.

1 hour ago, swirly182 said:

I've actually disconnected and blanked off the first outlet nearest the heater in an attempt to get more heat to the front of the van. It's warm around the heater at the back of the van anyway so the vent isn't really needed.

Swirly, in my case the heater is below the lounge and I don’t want to turn off the heat there.

John

Fair enough - I didn't realise the heaters are hidden away on some caravans. The one in mine is mounted below the wardrobe and on show, so can be used as a heater without the fan.

I would keep trying (harder) to remove the existing vents and install adjustable types, to balance the air flow.

If I remember correctly these vents not only screw into the ducting but sometimes have a self tapping screw that goes through the ducting and into the vent.

The lounge one is possibly accessible for you to check?

I see your problem, Johnaldo, but if the vents are not adjustable, you will have to try to somehow restrict the airflow along them.

> Can you pull the ducting off behind the duct outlet and fit something in there? Perhaps an offcut off a piece of plastic (ice cream tub top?) taped in so that it can't move?

> can you buy some adjustable vents and replace them? https://www.caravanstuff4u.co.uk/windows/2057-trumablownairheatingendoutlet-beige-5055560703866.html

Small duster would block off a heater outlet if you want to try it on the quick and cheap!

21 hours ago, daveat92 said:

Thanks Dave.  Looking at the vent in your link it appears that it’s a friction fit, either into the pipe or the surrounding panel.

So I did some further research - and if Elddis have used the ‘official’ Whale vent, then that appears to be screw-on … see here.

Now that I know how they fit, next time I’m at the caravan I’ll have to be a bit more forceful and see if I can remove and swap the bedroom and bathroom fittings.

John

Hi @Johnaldo

My name is Hayley and I work in the marketing team at Whale.

Please feel free to contact our Customer Care Team who will do all they can to assist you with your query. You can call them on 0345 9090 911 or email info@whalepumps.com.

Alternatively, please privately send me the best number to get you on and I will get one of our team to give you a call.

Best wishes,

Hayley

Never knew that the manufacturers read these posts. Looks like service you will not get from most others, well done Whale.