Railways you have visited

Severn Valley near us is very good, as was North Yorkshire Moor one.

Petit Train in St Valery sur Somme is good too.

We went on steam one in Victoria Harbour South Australia  called Cockle Train, it went to  the Murray Estuary .

We have also been on the Indian Pacific, Perth to Adelaide in 2015 and The Ghan, from Adelaide to Darwin. In 2016.  These are luxury sleeper trains and a great way to see Australia.

Not cheap but a once in a lifetime experience! Food great and stops at interesting places like Cook in the Nullabor Plain and Alice Springs.

Edited by 664DaveS
  • Like 1

Hyundai Santa Fe+Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

Mini Cooper convertible -fun Car!:)

I have driven a steam train on the Swanage Heritage railway (no pictures on iPad though, sorry) 

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

A few years ago I was working in France during the summers and explored Richelieu, near Chinon, which is near Tours.

There is still a train that runs from Tours to Chinon. but the line stops there.

However, until about the 1970 or 80s it carried on further south to the historic town of Richelieu, named after the famous French Cardinal/politician. The town is well worth a visit if in the area.

The track between Chinon and Richelieu was still there until not long ago, but has since been ripped up.

Poking around in the town one day,  I came across the old railway station (Gare), and discovered a few trains and carriages marooned there. There is a few hundred yards or so still laid in the station, and a small group of volunteers do what they can to preserve what they can.

In one of the sheds is this beauty that can no longer run. There is a hole in one of the side plates that the guys claim is a bullet hole from a Spitfire. How true that is, is anybody's guess.

2132280483_Richelieureduced.thumb.jpg.7f32b3c977b9dadb76965d4bf56b63b0.jpg

• Like 1

Love steam heritage railways, we have visited many that are listed by you above on Wartime 40's events as re-enactors.

Other visited in summer months when out holiday caravaning.

My two local ones are Keighley and Worth Valley and the Embsay Bolton Abbey.

Embsay only one this year due to closures and event cancellation.

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

13 hours ago, WilliamJames said:

Bluebell Railway 2017 just down the road  from my house.......

Hello Bill.    The Bluebell Railway used to be one of our favourite visits.   Sheila's grandad used to be station master at Sheffield Park and as a little girl, she was sent to stay with him during school holidays.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

45 minutes ago, Jaydug said:

Hello Bill.    The Bluebell Railway used to be one of our favourite visits.   Sheila's grandad used to be station master at Sheffield Park and as a little girl, she was sent to stay with him during school holidays.

Hi John......... the Bluebell team has been running trains this past week,  presumably to get things up and running for reopening to the public this Thursday December 3rd.

I can hear the steam trains and their whistles from my garden.

Hope you are not missing those Bamboo meals in the sun too much........I will be come February 2021 ;)

• Like 1

Keep active ....be happy...stay safe.

7 minutes ago, WilliamJames said:

Hope you are not missing those Bamboo meals in the sun too much........I will be come February 2021 ;)

It's hard work putting in an English winter.   I'd forgotten what it's like..:unsure:

• Like 1

A girl I was at college with went to work on the Khyber steam Safari about 20 years ago as a Permanent way engineering manager.  I always promised myself I would have ago on this one, but unfortunately it was washed away in the Mid 90s and I dont think they ever put it back together.

13 minutes ago, BOAC said:

Click on the link to be illuminated

Watercress line lights up

Thanks - and what a great video.   Amazingly 8 saddoes didn't like it.  :angry:

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

IMG_1856 (2).JPG

IMG_1857.JPG

107.JPG

Just stumbled on this great thread, 2 pics of Pickering War weekend 2018, and 3rd pic of the line between Paignton and Totnes, this station is Greenbank halt for Greenways on the River DART, Agatha Christies summer home.

• Thanks 1

Volvo XC60 D5 AWD AUTO. Lunar Lexon 570

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

2 x darling grandaughters and her

• 2 weeks later...

I got one of my photos published in the Talyllyn magazine. Chuffed about that. Must go and do some more droning when I am allowed to.

357346531_ASHendyEnhancedGimp2.thumb.jpg.1d814e052bf791b2cf571a530590fd1a.jpg

There is a nice 5 van site at Hendy Farm which is right next to the railway and has its own halt and they have some nice cottages too.

The site is £14 per night for the van.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Messing about on the Talyllyn railway brought about a video in the link below.

Talyllyn end to end in 20 minutes

Hope you like  :)

Edited by BOAC
Updated url
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, BOAC said:

Messing about on the Talyllyn railway brought about a video in the link below.

Talyllyn fast motion

Hope you like  :)

Thanks - that's the view a friend of mine gets every time he's there as he's a loco driver . . . !

• Thanks 1