Spare Wheel Carriers (telescopic)

In my first year of caravanning last year, I travelled with the spare wheel located in the van, over the axle (didn't want the weight in the front locker). This is awkward as it is heavy (and potentially dirty) and I am thinking of buying the Al-Ko telescopic spare wheel carrier which fits underneath the van (the vans chassis is Al-Ko and I believe all the holes are already there to fit it). Does anyone have any experience of this and can they recommend it?

On a similar note, I don't think I have a jack for the van (what use is spare wheel without jack :unsure:!?) - can I use the one with the car? (I think it's a scissor one). I know Al-Ko sell one, but it seems a little steep at £65.

Thanks

RPB

Guest john1215

You mention that the spare wheel is dirty, wont it be dirtier still when you carry it on the underslung wheel carrier and won't you get dirty crawling under the van to unhook said carrier? I'll leave mine in the front locker, it is clean and dry!!

john1215

The Al-Ko spare wheel carrier fits either the Al-Ko or BPW chassis. The holes are already there for it and it fits just behind the wheels. Just check that you dont have any pipes running across the area.

Brian

Guest john1215

On the jack front, The cars scissor jack will probably be unsuitable as there are very few, if any suitable jacking points.

I faced the same dileamour a few months ago but I purchased a Landrover Discovery bottle jack(complete) from ebay, cost £43 inc post and packing. The reason for the Landrover jack is because they have a shaped shoe that fits the shape of the caravan axle perfectly and this is a suitable point to jack up from.

john1215

My spare was new last year (bought 2nd hand van - no spare) so I put it in some bin liners before putting it into the van - to stop the rubber marking the carpets and furniture really.

As I am a new caravanner, I wasn't keen on carrying the weight of the tyre in the front locker, (although there is a fitting for it) so I put it in the van. I suppose the only other 'heavy' items in the locker are the gas cylinders - but I even put these in my car last year when towing rather than having the weight in the locker. Am I being too cautious :unsure: ?

RPB

In my first year of caravanning last year, I travelled with the spare wheel located in the van, over the axle (didn't want the weight in the front locker). This is awkward as it is heavy (and potentially dirty) and I am thinking of buying the Al-Ko telescopic spare wheel carrier which fits underneath the van (the vans chassis is Al-Ko and I believe all the holes are already there to fit it). Does anyone have any experience of this and can they recommend it?

On a similar note, I don't think I have a jack for the van (what use is spare wheel without jack  :unsure:!?) - can I use the one with the car? (I think it's a scissor one). I know Al-Ko sell one, but it seems a little steep at £65.

Thanks

RPB

8090[/snapback]

I fiited an ALKO spare wheel carrier earlier this year they are really good and reasonably easy to fit. It means there is one less thing to trip over when you stop for a break at a motorway service station. They come with a padlock to make your spare wheel secure.

The holes for the wheel carrier are already pre-drilled but The jack needs holes drilling if you have an older chasis.

Hope this helps

Peter

See

http://www. alko. co. uk/mailorder/spare_wheel_carrier. htm

pic_mos04.gif

You mention that the spare wheel is dirty, wont it be dirtier still when you carry it on the underslung wheel carrier and won't you get dirty crawling under the van to unhook said carrier? I'll leave mine in the front locker, it is clean and dry!!

john1215

8092[/snapback]

My spare was new last year (bought 2nd hand van - no spare) so I put it in some bin liners before putting it into the van - to stop the rubber marking the carpets and furniture really.

As I am a new caravanner, I wasn't keen on carrying the weight of the tyre in the front locker, (although there is a fitting for it) so I put it in the van. I suppose the only other 'heavy' items in the locker are the gas cylinders - but I even put these in my car last year when towing rather than having the weight in the locker. Am I being too cautious ?

RPB

john1215

8092[/snapback]

Some caravans have a high noseweight to start with and with 2 gas bottles and a spare wheel it is around 100kgs,so even though a well is provided in the front locker,the wheel has to be kept elsewhere.

I fitted a Bulldog underslung wheel carrier on our van,they where on special offer at £30 inclusive,direct from Bulldog.

As far as a jack is concerned,if you don't want the expense of the Al-ko jack and jacking brackets (about £65,although if you look on Ebay you might get a set cheap,I did)you can buy a smallish 2ton trolley jack in case for between £10-£20, which you can use on the car and caravan. Only jack up under the axle or axle reinforcing plate.

Frank

Guest john1215

My spare is in the front locker with two small propane bottles (3. 9 kg size), I don't have a problem with the noseweight, would the underslung carrier have an effect on the noseweight too - it being behind the axle?

john1215

A couple of words of warning about the AL-KO carrier. I suspect it's the same with other makes too. The two halves slide apart (trombone fashion) to allow removal of the spare wheel, and this section readily rusts in a very short time if not kept lubricated. Apply a smear of grease a couple of times a year and you know you'll have the spare available should you be unfortunate enough to need it.

Also the carrier can be mounted to allow removal of the spare from either side of the caravan, but you have to choose which side. So beware that if you choose to have access from the UK nearside, you will have to remove it from the dangerous side, if needed whilst touring in a country where they drive on the right!

As far as jacking is concerned, AL-KO make a half-scissor jack that's profiled specifically to fit the caravan under-gear. However I personally feel that scissor jacks are not an ideal tool for the job, and prefer to carry a small trolley jack instead.

Regards,

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

My spare is in the front locker with two small propane bottles (3. 9 kg size), I don't have a problem with the noseweight, would the underslung carrier have an effect on the noseweight too - it being behind the axle?

john1215

If you move the spare from the front locker to an underslung carrier it does reduce the noseweight. In my situation that helps as I have dificulty in keeping the noseweight down to 75Kg, even with only 3. 9Kg propane bottles in the front locker. Being low down, it also helps to reduce the centre of gravity (slightly) which must be beneficial.

Avondale have the best idea where the spare is located in a well in the floor accessible only from the inside. It keeps it secure and clean. Why don't others do this?

Brian

john1215

8129[/snapback]

Hi John,

I had exactly the same problem as Brian. Many makes of caravan and certainly the Swift Group tend to be nose heavy even at MIRO weight,so the underslung carrier for the spare wheel is the most practical solution. The nose heavy syndrome has been aired on several occasions,why do they make provision for a spare wheel in the front locker when it can't be carried there? :unsure::)

Frank

Guest john1215

I know that what everyone is saying about noseweight is probably correct but I have always carried my spare wheel in the space provided in the front locker with two small gas bottles. To be honest I have never tested the noseweight but it has always looked and felt fine when towing.

john1215

I know that what everyone is saying about noseweight is probably correct but I have always carried my spare wheel in the space provided in the front locker with two small gas bottles. To be honest I have never tested the noseweight but it has always looked and felt fine when towing.

john1215

8268[/snapback]

John,

My neighbour who has a Challenger, has spare wheel and 2x6kgs bottles + anything else he can fit into the front locker. When I was having noseweight problems with the Europa I asked him what his vans noseweight was. His reply was he didn't know and didn't want to know. I pointed out to him(in the nicest possible way)that he may be exceeding both his towbar and drawbar download limit. His reply eas that he had caravanned for 30 years and nothing had broken yet.

I tried to lift the hitch,I could not lift it. No the steadies were not down. Nuff said.

I have never mentioned it ot him again. Martin Spencer of the caravan club was not impressed. His comment was'not an infrequent situation,I'm afraid.'

Frank

I have a spare wheel carrier as I have a swift and my cars nose weight is 55kg and hard to get. I found the carrier fantastic as long as you spear loads of vasaline on the trombone part. I also put a padlock through the holder to stop sticky fingers. I also took it off for when I sold the 'van and it took me ages to take it off the fixixngs (the which is permanantly fixed to the 'van) so I amnot worried some one will take the carrier off from the opposite end to the padlock.

someone said it will get dirty. What about the wheel that is on the 'van when it goes flat? Won't that be dirty?

As for jacks. I bought a proper caravan scissor jack from towsure and to be honest DONT. It has a handle that is about 2 inches from the jack so you have to near enough lie under the van to jack it up. It isn't fun and I havent had to do it in an emergency. The best jack I have seen and unfortunately production was stopped is a roll jack. The idea was it was put infront of the axle and as you drove forward it rolled and lifted the wheel up. I think it is a fab idea. It was stopped as people were driving to far forward and it was falling off. Why not make it so you could roll on and off? I will try and find a link to the idea.

Hi Jimmy,

I have seen pictures of the Rolljack made by Air Muscle. From what I have read production was stopped due as you say to people driving too far forward. Due to it's obviously assymetrical shape the caravan floor could be damaged by the end of the device as the van went over centre.

I did use a cheap trolley jack until I bought the Al-ko side lift kit. :)

Frank

hi

i have a 2004 abbey spectrum twin axle with a spare wheel carrier fitted just behind the rear axle when you have a puncture it is impossible to get the spare wheel out as i found out to my cost & the main agents are no help as they cant tell you how to get it off so i now carry the wheel on the floor of the caravan also on the subject of alko jacks i have one for sale brand new very cheap + postage

& a alko spare wheel carrier

reg

Hi Jimmy,

I have seen pictures of the Rolljack made by Air Muscle. From what I have read production was stopped due as you say to people driving too far forward. Due to it's obviously assymetrical shape the caravan floor could be damaged by the end of the device as the van went over centre.

I did use a cheap trolley jack until I bought the Al-ko side lift kit. :)

Frank

8298[/snapback]

I have had experience of using the Alko spare wheel carrier which is an excellant piece of kit.

1 The slides must always be kept lubricated so that it doesn't seize up. This is a once a year job.

2 I wrapped the padlock in a plastic bag but it was still prone to seizing. A fantastic tip is to use a Christmas pudding bowl (with a sealable lid), drill a hole through the centre, place over the bolt before screwing on the handle and use this to protect the padlock (idea nicked from Practical Caravan).

3 We had a blowout in France which left the 'van sitting on its rim. Couldn't get the bottle jack or the car scissor jack under the axle or the chassis. Nor could we get the French motorway maintenence crew's trolley jack under.

4 Buy an Alko side-lift (or scissor jack for heavier 'vans) with the chassis mounted brackets - it will always fit.

5 Look on E-bay - you might strike lucky.

6 Don't get punctures or blowouts. We didn't have any in 10 years of caravanning but got 2 blowouts in 2 weeks on 3 year old tyres. C'est la vie!

Mike

PS Ther's a company that makes a gadget called a Spairline that connects to your spare so that you can check the pressure. We always carry a small compressor.

I fiited an ALKO spare wheel carrier earlier this year they are really good and reasonably easy to fit.   It means there is one less thing to trip over when you stop for a break at a motorway service station.   They come with a padlock to make your spare wheel secure.

The holes for the wheel carrier are already pre-drilled but The jack needs holes drilling if you have an older chasis.

Hope this helps

Peter

See

http://www. alko. co. uk/mailorder/spare_wheel_carrier. htm

pic_mos04.gif

8100[/snapback]

Try this site just type in search box

http://www. waudbys. co. uk/shop/search/