Bailey Water ingress and questionable quality fit for purpose product!

I have a Bailey Cartagena 111 caravan owned from new since April 2016. Baileys build quality for a £26k caravan is unfit for purpose. Bailey hark on about there GPRS AluTech Body shell technology and then go and stick an MDF floor in the van, which is then exposed to water from spray whilst towing.  No thought about using marine ply which would be limited additional cost.

The caravan has a well documented design flaw with the roof strap allowing water to cascade inside caravan. Which on mine let in water, that flowed down the inside of he caravan and has now after 4 years rotted the feeble wooden floor, with no where for the water to escape but puddle on fIoor.

It goes in for warranty work on Tuesday, after which I will be glad to get shot of it before 5 year warranty expires, Bailey have not responded to my request to extend warranty thus I will part exchange, but not for another unfit for purpose Bailey!

Is this a common problem for these vans...?we have an earlier 2011 Ranger GT with the front and rear cracking/awning rail issues and are looking at later Baileys...Is there any van that Baileys produce that doesn't have inherent issues.....

12 hours ago, Bryn Whyte said:

I have a Bailey Cartagena 111 caravan owned from new since April 2016. Baileys build quality for a £26k caravan is unfit for purpose. Bailey hark on about there GPRS AluTech Body shell technology and then go and stick an MDF floor in the van, which is then exposed to water from spray whilst towing.  No thought about using marine ply which would be limited additional cost.

The caravan has a well documented design flaw with the roof strap allowing water to cascade inside caravan. Which on mine let in water, that flowed down the inside of he caravan and has now after 4 years rotted the feeble wooden floor, with no where for the water to escape but puddle on fIoor.

It goes in for warranty work on Tuesday, after which I will be glad to get shot of it before 5 year warranty expires, Bailey have not responded to my request to extend warranty thus I will part exchange, but not for another unfit for purpose Bailey!

Er, isn't the body warranty six years on any Bailey? It is on mine.

• Like 1

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

13 hours ago, Bryn Whyte said:

Bailey hark on about there GPRS AluTech Body shell technology and then go and stick an MDF floor in the van, which is then exposed to water from spray whilst towing.  No thought about using marine ply which would be limited additional cost.

One of the reasons why I swapped our Barcelona for the Knaus.  Knaus also require the underseal to the floor to be re-applied at every service - which seems like common sense to me and I can't understand why all manufacturers don't do it.

VW Touareg Escape towing a 2018 Knaus Starclass 695

My Swift floor has GRP outer skin to protect from Road spray. Believe Elddis have similar and should expect the same from all manufacturers.  Poor if this isn’t the case 

• Like 1

When I used to service Morgans part of the schedule was to apply black waxoyl to the wooden under surface

5 minutes ago, Tuningdrew said:

When I used to service Morgans part of the schedule was to apply black waxoyl to the wooden under surface

In respect of the floor on Baileys I raised a few questions with them when I purchased mine 18 months ago. Below is their response. 

1. Can you please confirm that should, at some future point, the floor of my caravan suffer the dreaded “damp” around the various holes that have been cut through it, by you, at the construction stage, AND left totally untreated,  I will still be covered by your water ingress warranty? The reason for my asking is that the wording of the warranty clearly states that only “permanently sealed joints” are covered. These holes are clearly NOT permanently sealed (or indeed sealed at all) joints and as such you are saying that any damp issues around those holes will not then be covered under warranty? In the unlikely event water ingress is identified within, below or above the bonded floor panel then rectification would be covered under the terms and conditions of our the six year bodyshell warranty.

2. Likewise if, as you say, the underside of my caravan has only “been painted with emulsion” what is actually protecting it from any water being thrown up underneath soaking into it? It’s clearly NOT waterproof plywood, or is it?? The underside of the bonded floor panels used in caravan construction are not treated as such but there is a layer of splash resistant paint. As you may appreciate, the ladder rack constructed floor panels of our caravans have been used for literally decades and I am not aware of any cases where the apertures used for the services as well as ventilation have been identified as causing floor panels to rot.

3. Has my caravan actually been “sealed” with anything at this join or do you just rely on the overlap of the sidewall over the floor preventing water ingress? What about any water that is thrown up against that joint whilst being towed? No, because this has not been deemed necessary due to the lack of cases reported where your concern has actually occurred. Again, we have no evidence that your concern has any basis in fact – i.e. in normal driving conditions in the wet has not shown your concern to have manifested itself.

I have invested a considerable sum of money in this caravan and I am now VERY concerned to  learn that the  plywood  floor has NO form of protection against water ingress  other than a quick coat of ordinary emulsion. Is that correct? A water based splash resistant paint has been applied.

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

If you can show that this is a common fault it should be regarded as unfit for purpose even four years down the line. Your rights however at that age would normally be a repair, which seems to be what you ae getting so I cannot see you being able to take it further. 

I appreciate that many new caravans now have an under floor (outside) treatment to protect it from damp and road spray BUT the OP damp issues have started with a well documented failure of the roof joint (strap) hence water running down possibly between the inner and outer wall skins?

In conclusion many responses mentioning underfloor protection wont help or be relevant to the OP's initial post.

Edited by charlieboy2608
  • Like 2

You could always apply your own under seal but after 3years our Pegasus was perfect. I get underneath our caravans periodically just to check things. Our Elddis is protected.

5 hours ago, Jezzerb said:

You could always apply your own under seal but after 3years our Pegasus was perfect. I get underneath our caravans periodically just to check things. Our Elddis is protected.

The danger in doing that is trapping moisture behind any surface treatment, which would be somewhat counter productive

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

Very very true had not done ours for that exact reason.Just checked it regularly to see if appeared damp etc.

On 28/11/2020 at 18:16, Bryn Whyte said:

then go and stick an MDF floor in the van

This can't be the case, surely? Apart from  swelling and losing what very little structural integrety it does have at the first hint of water MDF is VERY heavy. I thought the wooden floor skins are made of lightweight/low cost softwood ply.

The GRP skins of the composite floor in  our Swift may be thin, but water ingress wouldn't effect structural integrity and so if they are up to the job when built they should stay that way indefinitely (GRP boat hulls can be affected by osmosis below the water line, but I am gong to assume few of us keep our caravans submerged :blush:).

Of course how well the floor is fixed to the walls and the walls to the roof and so on is another story.....

On 29/11/2020 at 10:38, Mr Plodd said:

A water based splash resistant paint has been applied.

Even the most basic of household emulsion paint can be described as "water based splash resistant paint".

Edited by Ukzero

Quite correct it is not and never has been MDF.  the floor is made of exterior grade plywood and foam.  There is a lot of Talk about ‘marine ply’ as if this is somehow rot proof. It isn’t. Both exterior ply and marine grade exterior ply have to be made with a waterproof glue.  Marine grade has to comply with stricter rules re knots and voids etc.   None of which is relevant to this sort of use.  It will not and never has been able to survive long term immersion as the water is absorbed into the veneer layers. 

The best protection you can give ply is not to get it wet. If it does then ventilation will allow it to dry and last for years.  Get it wet and keep it wet such as covering with Lino and it will rot very quickly. 

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

Hi, I dont think my 2014 Pegasus leaks at all, BUT you cant tell I admit? I do check underneath with my moisture meter form time to time with good results. This is my fix and is always on except when in use obviously. I never had one scrap of moisture, dampness , mould or any sign of anything inside.  We have a little different climate than you UK people sure , but we still have plenty of rain !!

20191104_131417 (2).jpg