Hi ,

For anyone in the market for a solar panel i have just bought a Falcon 100w solar panel for £238 from Miletts. Falcons price is £349. You can buy it from go outdoors with discount card but still dearer then Miletts.

• Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, daveat92 said:

https://www.sunstore.co.uk/product/100w-12v-solar-vehicle-kit-duo/

£220 Reputable supplier from whom I have bought two panels at different times.

Hi daveat92,  Unless i am mistaken the sunstore price is for a fixed panel where as the miletts  price is for a folding briefcase. Please correct me if i am wrong.

59 minutes ago, Paul Johnson said:

Hi daveat92,  Unless i am mistaken the sunstore price is for a fixed panel where as the miletts  price is for a folding briefcase. Please correct me if i am wrong.

Yes, the one I identified is a fixed one. You didn't say yours was a folding panel. Sunstore have a wide range of types and sizes.

I have one of their 40W folding ones and also a 30W rigid one.

The 40W struggled during the "shoulder" seasons with shorter, less bright days and more TV, so I bought the other and use both together.

I travel alone and am out all day usually, plus I don't have space on the roof for a big fixed one.

I sit both loose on the roof and drop their leads down the outside and into the battery box. Up there, they're out of sight, no trip hazard and maximum exposure to sunlight. Obviously, I take them down when travelling.

I had a renogy lightweight  50 w semi flexible folding panel with the charge controller and leads in the folder, lovely piece of kit, got stolen along with the caravan.

I bought a 100 watt folding monocrystalline panel last year for £89.95.

Total job cost me less than £120 including the controller, leads, switch and connectors. I installed it all myself.

I've been off grid for 7 weeks this year and it's performed perfectly.

I wince when I hear how much some folk are paying for solar.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 2
12 hours ago, SilverSurfer said:

I had a renogy lightweight  50 w semi flexible folding panel with the charge controller and leads in the folder, lovely piece of kit, got stolen along with the caravan.

My son is building a camper-van and has a couple of Renology 100A monocrystalline panels and the Rover Series controller, though not yet fitted.

On opening up the boxes, the first pleasant surprise is the obvious quality of the components especially the wiring, plugs etc.

What, in many cases for me, shows up quality, is the instruction manual, this is 30 pages of excellent detailed instructions and diagrams and written in perfect, not, pigeon English.

Though not yet fitted to his van, they have been sat outside one of my outbuildings for a month or so, facing the sky charging a few ' spare ' batteries, courtesy of my other son who has a garage, I had knocking about, this time of year is better for testing output on prolonged low light days.

A simple check with a DVM now and again shows they are being kept fully charged, I've linked in my EasyLog EL-USB-3. voltage logger, ( I keep intending to get the Amp logger as well ) the results of which, compared with notes made on my calender, when I remember, of the quality of daylight / weather, will give a good indication of off-grid output for winter travels and what they output on such as a starry full moon night.

Son thinks I've nothing else better to do than test his kit. 🙄🤣

• Like 1

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

I am with Dottie-frightening markup by uk retailers-get on e bay and buy from a reputable dealer who is uk based with good feedback. WE had a little 10w panel for years and topped our battery up a treat.

• I agree completely 1
22 hours ago, Jezzerb said:

I am with Dottie-frightening markup by uk retailers-get on e bay and buy from a reputable dealer who is uk based with good feedback. WE had a little 10w panel for years and topped our battery up a treat.

I was in my local dealers just before lockdown and a guy was in there asking about supply and fitting of a 150w system to his caravan. They quoted him over £600! 

Someone's making a killing on solar.

If it wasn't for the fact that I'm retired and have a pathological aversion to paid work, I could make a decent easy living out of solar.

Edited by DottieD
  • Like 1