Hi everyone,  hope your all keeping safe. 

I'd like your thoughts on heating my caravan in the winter while it's stored on my drive. 

I have a small oil filled radiator that is timed to come on for a couple of hours in the evening and the same early morning.

Is this OK, I don't want to cause condensation.

Thank you

If you can keep your caravan at a reasonably constant temperature then it should be fine whithout heating. Our caravan faces south and so it gets quite a bit warmer on a clear sunny day and then back to ambient overnight. We try to reduce this big variation by keeping the window and roof blinds partly closed. We never heat the caravan unless we are using it or preparing for a winter trip. We keep it well ventilated insuring that the fixed ventilation is allowed to give a clear flow of air, and find it needs nothing else.

Edited by Ern

Ern

Hi Deckchair, before we get into what’s the best way to heat your van - can we ask why you feel the need to heat it, as I would guess that 9 out of 10 of us don’t do so, whether they’re in storage, on drives, in a farmer’s barn, or whatever.

John

• I agree completely 2

When we stored the van at home, I kept a small fan heater with the thermostat set low. This was purely frost prevention. Now stored away from home, so no possibility to do it. Not had any issues in last ten years

Whilst a little heat to even out the inside temperature will do no harm, ventilation is far more important.

Condensation can only happen if moisture can get, and stay inside. Compare  a leaky garage with a carport, which is more likely to be damp inside?

• I agree completely 1

My van is parked alongside the house with mains electricity plugged in so that the charger can be switched on from time to time.       I don't keep any heating going - unless I'm going in their to do a job.   But I do keep a dehumidifier running for a few hours each day.   I'm well aware that dehumidifiers is a debatable topic, and I have no wish to start the discussion running again.   So please.......;)

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

24 minutes ago, Johnaldo said:

Hi Deckchair, before we get into what’s the best way to heat your van - can we ask why you feel the need to heat it, as I would guess that 9 out of 10 of us don’t do so, whether they’re in storage, on drives, in a farmer’s barn, or whatever.

John

I fall into one of the 1 out of 10. I am fortunate enough to have a 50 x 25 feet plot of land at the front area of the house and its my man cave. I keep the Alde heating on set at 18 C and thats where I do my film editing mostly. I occasionally sleep in there from time and have a good nights sleep as well. I have not experienced any condensation because I open the door going in and out which has the effect of a brief airing which is what the experts recommend you do to help combat any condensation.

Have a look at THIS

That said, its back to my tin man shed.  :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Or caravan is at the side of the house, we keep the heating on the 500w setting and the thermostat at 5. 
To save running the circulation fan all the time, I fitted a relay on it so it only runs when the heating element gets powered.

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

2 minutes ago, Grandpa Steve said:

Or caravan is at the side of the house, we keep the heating on the 500w setting and the thermostat at 5. 
To save running the circulation fan all the time, I fitted a relay on it so it only runs when the heating element gets powered.

Over a year that's quite a lot of electricity, unless 5 on the thermostat is a very low setting!

17 minutes ago, Stevan said:

Over a year that's quite a lot of electricity, unless 5 on the thermostat is a very low setting!

On 5 it has to get down to 3 deg for the heating to kick in, during the day even in the winter the caravan had direct sunlight from 11:00 till dusk so not as much electricity as you might think.

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

25 minutes ago, BOAC said:

I fall into one of the 1 out of 10. I am fortunate enough to have a 50 x 25 feet plot of land at the front area of the house and its my man cave. I keep the Alde heating on set at 18 C and thats where I do my film editing mostly. I occasionally sleep in there from time and have a good nights sleep as well. I have not experienced any condensation because I open the door going in and out which has the effect of a brief airing which is what the experts recommend you do to help combat any condensation.

Have a look at THIS

That said, its back to my tin man shed.  :D

Exactly what I do as well.  Usually in there in the afternoon - after I have done all the jobs that have been found for me during the day - and read my book.  Give the heating a good blast whilst I'm in there.  Extra heating costs pale into insignificance compared with the cost of the van - so it doesn't bother me.

• I agree completely 1

VW Touareg Escape towing a 2018 Knaus Starclass 695

For years we always heated our caravans and motorhome, at one stage we used an electric dehumidifier, you would be surprised how much water we trapped, when we moved house the caravan had to go into storage  so no electric, no heating and we use several of the small dehumidifiers they collected a small amount of water, but the caravan over the winter is fine.

We now can park our caravan on the drive for past couple of years and have access to power, we Dont heat the caravan and just carried on using the small dehumidifiers.

• I agree completely 1

2020 Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4  PHEV and 2016 Swift Conqueror 480 HT

we have never had heating on or  dehumidifiers, we just make sure all the vents are clear and open all the cupboards.  There are often threads on here as to what's best when storing your van in the winter and one thing I remember someone saying was to do what the dealers do with all there vans on the forecourt, nothing. 

• I agree completely 1

I've never heated the van over winter but have used a 'crystal' type dehumidifier. I use a full cover and I think that also acts as insulation.

Opening the cupboards and lifting the beds facilitates air circulation from the floor vents.

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco