Decking installation cost

Message added by CT Advertising,

Prima logo.pngOur supporter Prima Leisure has Caravan Parts/Accessories for Bailey and all other makes of caravan and motorhome. Take a look at their massive range of products.

Well worth a visit!

Hi,

we bought a new static caravan and had it sited in September, unfortunately COVID has reduced the number of times we could visit, but it’s a long term thing so it is what it is.

We have just started getting quotes for decking and the  company everyone else seems to have used has come back with a ridiculous quote between 30 and 50% higher than I anticipated based upon the next door statics recent work on theirs which was sited 6 months before us.

Anyone have any suggestions  for companies that might offer better value we could get quotes from ?

We are based on the Gower near Swansea.

Thanks

Mucky

Some sites will only allow certain contractors to install decking, so best to check.

Ours was by Vinyl Solutions, look on their website. 

We used Colne valley decking in North Wales and we have been extremely pleased with our decking, we had approx 34 foot of decking down the side of our van, joined on to our front existing decking, with a set of steps and a gate to keep our dog in the total cost was £3600.

This was September last year.

John.0C0110D5-C654-49FD-BA8C-152F56A89AED.thumb.jpeg.7709b9403c9fefc447210c8acacfe2d9.jpeg

Tits a disgrace how sites can control and make you use their approved contractors , clearly they have a wedge on top so they make too .

its a monopoly and as suck should be illegal.

i priced a skirting kit up , £500 for all I needed to do the job but my site say no you can not do it yourself I’m now waiting for quote and it’s probably a thousand pounds more  

I can understand a site owner saying you can't do it yourself.

Would you be happy if the van next to yours was an absolute eyesore where someone had done an absolutely awful bodge job and never finished it, or painted it in garish colours etc?

As others have said, before committing yourself to a particular, cheaper/ better contractor, it is essential to check with the site rules, many insist on a particular contractor, ( brown envelope ) to supply and do the work.

Sadly this is common place, so welcome to the intricacies of static ownership, only found out after the event 😳

Hopefully your site owner may be like some site owners ( in the minority ),who allow any contractor to supply and fit decking, as long as it complies with their colours / style etc.

One other thing to be aware of is that, after last years storms, some site owners are now insisting on skirts to be fitted, from the decking floor to the ground.

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

On 28/11/2020 at 00:52, Silversurf said:

One other thing to be aware of is that, after last years storms, some site owners are now insisting on skirts to be fitted, from the decking floor to the ground.

Before doing this any documents need to be checked since they might say a 2 inch gap has to be left all the way round. This might be in a warranty policy, probably to help avoid damp or to ensure ventilation in case of a propane leak.

Plastic decking is now available which will save on having to treat/paint it every few years and it will not rot if the ground is damp.

Edited by Paul1957
9 minutes ago, Paul1957 said:

Before doing this any documents need to be checked since they might say a 2 inch gap has to be left all the way round. This might be in a warranty policy, probably to help avoid damp or to ensure ventilation in case of a propane leak.

Plastic decking is now available which will save on having to treat/paint it every few years and it will not rot if the ground is damp.

Hi Paul, the site my pal is on insisted on the skirts after the storms, due to all manner of junk folk store under the vans being scattered far and wide damaging other vans and some of the sites facilities, very little of the damage caused could be attributed to property blowing around from a particular van, unless it ended up wedged in whatever it had damaged and had identifying marks on it, I haven't called by since so don't know about ventilation measures, but there obviously will be some.

The site has always insisted on plastic decking of a particular colour, supplied and fitted only by a local company...........no surprises there !

He did mention some unpleasant extra surprises in store for those with older decking, that had become embrittled over the years, in that whilst repairing damage on them, the contractor, who it appears did a great job, not a rip off merchant, had to warn them that in some cases, quite substantial sections may have to be and were replaced due to them breaking up as repairs, new panels etc. were fitted, that's if they were available.

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

As far as I am aware the site owner is not legally allowed to insist you use one particular decking installation company, they should have several approved contactors for you to obtain quotes from.

Many parks insist on certain products, manufacturers or companies to supply and erect decking. We have always said that this type of requirement is unfair and restrictive. This opinion is shared by the OFT in its Guidance on Unfair Terms in Holiday Caravan Agreements (OFT 734) where it states:

Down to the site who they let on their land to do work, you cant go quoting this that and the other at the end of  the day their site their rules they all have preferred companies they deal with on site this way all the health and safety rules and regulations and insurances are in place  and are adhered too. All the new vans on our site come with composite decking ours is 19x 10 at front then 20x6 down side, with 2x5 opaque privy glass on each sides. plus all skirting and four hinged hatches. cost was told 8k 10 year guarantee 

3 hours ago, terve said:

As far as I am aware the site owner is not legally allowed to insist you use one particular decking installation company, they should have several approved contactors for you to obtain quotes from.

Many parks insist on certain products, manufacturers or companies to supply and erect decking. We have always said that this type of requirement is unfair and restrictive. This opinion is shared by the OFT in its Guidance on Unfair Terms in Holiday Caravan Agreements (OFT 734) where it states:

Alas, OFT734 was withdrawn in 2017 and replaced with CMA37.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/unfair-contract-terms-cma37

like i say you have just bought a van on a site the site has approved companies they deal with the last thing you want to do after signing a lease for a van is make waves with your site manager about what they do and dont do. its their site fight them at your peril lol 

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the responses, it appears there is really only one supplier to do this in the area. The site owner knows the installation guy as he’s done them all on our small site.

We got 10 different quotes from this guy for 10 permutations of colour, finish glass, full length, part length, skirting / no skirting.ranging from £5K to almost 10K plumped for the maximum size we needed around £7K.

Shocked at the cost, but without it we can’t enjoy our purchase. 

I’m planning to do the skirting myself, I’ll get the material it’ll be a fraction of the cost.

These guys are as thick as thieves, everyone from the caravan supplier to the guy who drains down are all in league with each other. 
Anyway, work will be completed by March when site opens.

cheers guys

One consolation since the person has done all the others on site, you will know the standard of the work and if the workers live nearby you will be supporting the local economy. We use a static in the Lake District and it seems expensive using local people for jobs but if outsiders were brought in the economy would suffer and the area become run down.

Yes Paul, the quality is good, there’s no denying that and if he does a bad job, he won’t get any more.

I’ve just concluded that this is going to be in use for the next 18 years or so , so just go for it. It’ll probably see me out, then it’s the kids problem.

The Gower is primarily reliant upon tourism related revenue so your right, it’s helping the local economy and besides, savings don’t get any interest these days, better off enjoying it.