Where would you advise to keep a spare set of keys?

Message added by CT Advertising,

Purple Line LogoOur Fullstop® Security Range provides ease of use and maximum protection against cutting, drilling, gas-freezing and corrosion. With exceptional customer service and aftersales care. Shop online today.

Where to keep a spare set of keys is the question.

I have thought of lots of places but there are pros and cons for each location.

What are your thoughts?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OH Handbag.

my first thought would be not to Talk about where i wanted to hide a set of spare keys on a public forum

When away in the caravan: spare caravan key....in car spare car key...in caravan spare house key ...with neighbour at home When at home: all keys for everything hang in one

my first thought would be not to Talk about where i wanted to hide a set of spare keys on a public forum

• Haha 2
  • I agree completely 5

Mercedes E350 CDi AMG Cabriolet, Lunar Freelander 640EW Twin Axle @1700kg

********* Naughty Step Aficionado And Grand Collector Of Naughty Points *********

When away in the caravan:

spare caravan key....in car

spare car key...in caravan

spare house key ...with neighbour at home

When at home:

all keys for everything hang in one easily accessible but cunningly disguised place

spare house key ...still with neighbour

• I agree completely 6

I have one set and my OH has the other, however for single people the car seems to be the only other option. Do they still do those magnetic boxes to keep a spare key in that you used to put under the wheel arch of the car. ? That may be an idea:unsure:

• I disagree 1

One set with me

One set with my wife

Spare set in car storage on door.

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

When away I keep spare set of car keys hidden in caravan. I keep a spare caravan key in car. Once on site I hide another caravan key in the chassis of the caravan in case I lose caravan keys when away from caravan but not in car. That about covers it I think.

• Like 1

Car keys with me when driving (obviously).  The space one in house somewhere

Caravan keys.  One set in car, and one set in house.  Again, somewhere

House key.  One with me (with car keys).  One on caravan keys, and one in the garden somewhere, not necessarily in or around a pot:lol:.  Sometimes, its with a neighbour

Having been for a walk in the forest today only to discover no house key this is quite a good thread.

The OP does not make it clear about circumstances, on holiday or home etc.

At home, Key safe fitted to an out building with an out building key in side key, second key safe in an out building with a house key.

Remember, thieves are pretty good at finding keys so your hiding place in the house needs to be good.

Externally, they are more then likely to break a window.

Having retraced our steps as best we could, we had not kept to paths and wondered through the trees so did not really know where we had walked, we found the keys....... if the front door.  Oh to live in a crime free area.

macafee2

Few years ago when I was a rep,i kept spare car key in magnetic box up underneath front bumper.

stopped at pub for lunch,slight slope down ,nose in,I stopped close to pub wall,got out,dropped keys,they slipped underneath car down drain ,doors locked! Took six blokes to get car back enough for me to crawl underneath to get spare out,in a suit.!!

I never carry spare now!

• Haha 2

I dont carry a spare house key when I leave home, nor a spare car key when I'm out and about, so I've never felt the need to take spare keys for the caravan.

All the spare keys for everything are in a box at home.

2 minutes ago, WispMan said:

I use a key safe box by the back door for the house key. 

Thieves do sometimes come with "tools of the trade".  A good thwack with a lump hammer can seriously damage the safe:D

• I disagree 1

To those of you who don’t carry a spare car key........

Just imagine you are on holiday, in the South if France/Scotland or wherever that’s more than a taxi ride from your home and, for whatever reason, you lose your only car key. 

You might be able to get into the car but these days cars are fitted with sophisticated immobilisers that need to “recognise” a key that has been coded to the car. How is it going to do that if your spare key is 100’s of mikes away at home??  How long would it take to get that key to you? Days at least, and if you have gone out fir the day and are 60 miles from your caravan site ??

Spare caravan keys (and that includes the AL-KO wheel lock key!) live in the car when we are away. I also have a small safe fitted to the caravan and yes it’s bolted through the floor ! Impossible to remove no, but very difficult and time consuming. I always laugh when I hear people say “We hide our money/passports/tickets in xxxxxx” Just how many places do you think there are in a caravan? If you have thought of a hiding place so will any half decent thief

• Like 2
  • I agree completely 1

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

1 hour ago, Will deBeast said:

Maybe I'm unusual, but I've never lost a key in my life.

ooh fingers crosses, touch wood , turn around 3 times, I hope you haven't spoken too soon:o

• Haha 2
  • I agree completely 1
49 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

To those of you who don’t carry a spare car key........

Just imagine you are on holiday, in the South if France/Scotland or wherever that’s more than a taxi ride from your home and, for whatever reason, you lose your only car key. 

You might be able to get into the car but these days cars are fitted with sophisticated immobilisers that need to “recognise” a key that has been coded to the car. How is it going to do that if your spare key is 100’s of mikes away at home??  How long would it take to get that key to you? Days at least, and if you have gone out fir the day and are 60 miles from your caravan site ??

Spare caravan keys (and that includes the AL-KO wheel lock key!) live in the car when we are away. I also have a small safe fitted to the caravan and yes it’s bolted through the floor ! Impossible to remove no, but very difficult and time consuming. I always laugh when I hear people say “We hide our money/passports/tickets in xxxxxx” Just how many places do you think there are in a caravan? If you have thought of a hiding place so will any half decent thief

I agree, always good to have a spare set of car/caravan  keys with you if you are travelling a distance....We once 'lost_ our caravan keys while on holiday in UK, we got our 3 year old thro the window to open the door from the inside. We had a spare set in the van. We did find the original keys in our car later...they had slipped out at the back of a small change tray in the dash......but I did order a 3rd set of keys and another wheel nut remover for the AL-KO wheel lock... and store these in the car....

Edited by gtepete
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Babstreefern said:

Thieves do sometimes come with "tools of the trade".  A good thwack with a lump hammer can seriously damage the safe:D

My reply? 

Have you tried it, because I have. It is far easier to smash a window or door!! 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

We too have a key safe attached to our house for the house keys.

Its the one recommended by the insurers and police, I believe and is as safe as a keysafe can be. I agree with Graham,

For the static and car, I have one set kept in my handbag, he has another set which is the set in most use.

When we go away the caravan keys get clipped to my car keys, OH has her own car keys and the spare set of caravan keys go in a small covered cubby hole at the side of the car steering wheel.

Interesting answers. Thanks.

I think that while out in the van it is best to have the used frequently keys in my pocket and then, as Dave suggests, the spare set on a chain around my neck.

When at home my spare set of house keys are with a neighbour and although we have never had cause to use them in 15 years its comforting to know where they are.