How to catch Covid and not where it came from !

I nipped down to the village to exercise a couple of one of my friends dogs for five or six miles, friends are isolating so the dogs aren't getting any long walks.

As I walked through the village there were a few leaflet distributors posting flyers, little leaflet bag over their shoulder packed tight with flyers, I noticed the delivery process went as follows.

Walk towards the door, lick or spit on your fingers to get flyer out of the bag, off to the next door,rinse and repeat, there were two on the street I was walking on, one each side, both doing the same thing.

Scary..................isn't it. 😱🤢😠

• Like 1

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

I'm going to guess they "were not that old".....

Probably be on the baz up till Christmas, then have lunch with the folks and hug grandma......

. .....still feel like that some days. :) But not when D4 is hooked up to Commodore.

8 minutes ago, GB1309 said:

I'm going to guess they "were not that old".....

Probably be on the baz up till Christmas, then have lunch with the folks and hug grandma......

Hmmmm, how to put this but not upset anyone.🙄😉

Late 20's to mid 40's , grandma could possibly live many hundreds of miles away, or more, not from ' round here ' 🤔.

To paraphrase Tubs and Edward, " Are you local, this is a local village for local people. "  you get my drift. 😱🤣😂

• I do not understand 3

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

We ‘park’ all post for 4days in a bin before touching it.  Maybe considered ott by many but  it only takes one slip like this one.

My best friend caught Covid in hospital 2weeks ago while waiting for an operation. Fortunately being already in hospital he received immediate attention. It’s concerned me from the outset of this pandemic that the nhs instruction is to ‘soldier on at home’ till you can’t  cope and only then call an ambulance. My friend is the sort of bloke who would have soldiered on far too long before giving in and asking for help. He is convinced had he not been in hospital already, he wouldn’t have survived.

His op was cancelled, and is now at home having been given the all clear. Incidentally the time taken to cure the virus enabled the other condition, due to be operated on, to improve with medication such as to obviate the need for surgery.

So win win.

However, he is at home in bed and telling me that walking to the bathroom is all he can manage. Far from the Covid symptoms being the problem, the after effect is the worse he has ever felt. He sounded 10years older, short of breath and out of it ....only managed 10min chat before he had to end the conversation to lie down.

Far too many poopooing the seriousness of this virus and blindly ignoring the slightest risk from exposure to strangers and their lax habits.

Edited by ericfield
  • Like 1
  • I agree completely 4
17 minutes ago, ericfield said:

Far too many poopooing the seriousness of this virus and blindly ignoring the slightest risk from exposure to strangers and their lax habits.

If anyone needs convincing, just have a chat with Kate Garraway about her husband Derek.

• I do not understand 1
  • I agree completely 1

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

..................or ask any ambulance crew.

How do the posties cope?  Is our mail sanitised before sorting/delivery?

Or go into hospital for a operation and be stuck on a ward with covid patients,  share same bathroom facilities as covid patients,  get a positive test several days later.

I walk Covid wards every day I am in work. (NHS) I am NOT in direct contact with patients, but remove devices form wards so they can be cleaned, serviced. All H&S protocols adhered too.  All it takes is some common sense, wearing appropriate PPE properly, to keep one's self safe & hopefully out of the reaches of Covid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • I agree completely 1

Swift Elegance 480, towed by a Mitsubishi Outlander GX4 Automatic.

49 minutes ago, CJ1149 said:

How do the posties cope?  Is our mail sanitised before sorting/delivery?

The fact they aren’t all Covid casualties suggests, perhaps, that many people’s fear is a little over exaggerated.

Edited by Fat Albert
  • Thanks 1
  • I disagree 1

David P - I thank you for your devotion to duty and sincerely hope you're not tempting fate.

"common sense" seems to be in short supply, sadly. 

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 3
21 minutes ago, Laurent said:

Scarey indeed. Folk trying to earn a crust delivering leaflets...Or are you going to pay to feed them because plainly the government ain’t.

I have no objection whatsoever about genuine folk going out to earn a crust delivering leaflets and indirectly I do pay for them to get fed etc. I've paid tax and NIC for over fifty odd years and still pay tax which goes into the benefits pot.

Folk maybe unfortunate to be on the bread line but, there is no reason for anyone to be starving, there is lots of help out there, but many folk don't take advantage of it for reasons only known to themselves.

Oddly enough many leaflet delivery operatives are collected from where they live and  driven to a totally different area to work and the passengers of the minibuses, when checked, are often illegal immigrants, folk on benefits etc. similar to the spot checks on car washes, restaurant kitchens, agricultural gang workers.

But my objection is not about ' earning a crust ' legally or illegally, it is about the absolutely disgusting and revolting action of them spitting on their hands/fingers and posting it through letterboxes on the flyers, not pleasant in normal times, absolutely crass during Covid.

I was going to say it's as bad as spitting in the street which may only end up on your shoe, but this is far worse.

If they contract Covid and by their actions it is passed on to others, it won't be them who's picking up the bill it will be our money to pay for it all.

1 hour ago, Fat Albert said:

The fact they aren’t all Covid casualties suggests, perhaps, that many people’s fear is a little over exaggerated.

It’s not the mail itself ...it’s the last person to handle it. Sure it can be a remote possibility, but I don’t intend to challenge Murphy’s Law.

Our local postal service has had its share of casualties to Covid*,  not from handling mail but from their out of work activities that they brought to their workplace.

( *not heresay, local sorting office employee is a near neighbour)

Edited by ericfield

Our local sorting/post office had "outbreak" with several post men testing positive a few weeks ago. It was reported in the local paper that PPE was not bring worn and work practises were poor. Back to normal now I believe but you do wonder how much might have gone out with the mail during that period.

. .....still feel like that some days. :) But not when D4 is hooked up to Commodore.

Add to that Tesco & other supermarket deliveries to the homes of those at risk & all other online deliveries. Fact is those isolating at home cannot hope to be completely isolated from the rest of the world. To single out leafleters when there are countless other ways for infection to enter peoples homes suggests the op has not really thought this through.

• I do not understand 2
  • I disagree 4
  • I agree completely 1

Our politicians don't help matters.

A number of backbench MP's are whinging because their constituencies have been placed in tier three. 

When our elected representatives carry on like spoiled kids denied treats,  what message does that send out to people.  All looking for reasons not to do whats needed to save lives and protect the NHS.

• Like 2
  • I disagree 1
  • I agree completely 1

Everywhere you look you will find people who are not exercising good practice, and this is irrespective of whether or not they are complying with the rules.

To fully isolate requires a huge support network, including intercepting mail and ensuring that all food is suitably prepared and in sanitised packaging.

The number of exceptions, loopholes and concessions in the current rules pretty much guarantees that the disease will spread until it has infected the vast majority of the population. And all these rules can hope to do is slow it down enough to enable the health services to cope.

• I agree completely 2
1 hour ago, Laurent said:

Add to that Tesco & other supermarket deliveries to the homes of those at risk & all other online deliveries. Fact is those isolating at home cannot hope to be completely isolated from the rest of the world. To single out leafleters when there are countless other ways for infection to enter peoples homes suggests the op has not really thought this through.

I hope that supermarkets' employees are not routinely spitting on their hands when handling our groceries.  Perhaps it is you that has not thought this through.

• I agree completely 3
10 minutes ago, DACS said:

I hope that supermarkets' employees are not routinely spitting on their hands when handling our groceries.  Perhaps it is you that has not thought this through.

Why would they not? Why would they not cough & sneeze? Why would the items they pick off the supermarket shelves not have been coughed & sneezed over? Why would self employed drivers using their own elderly vans & cars to deliver online orders not have coughed/sneezed/spat over the packages they deliver?

Why would they even go into work with the slightest cough or sneeze? Why would they not be good citizens & self isolate at home for 14 days? Perhaps you can tell me?

36 minutes ago, Stevan said:

To fully isolate requires a huge support network, including intercepting mail and ensuring that all food is suitably prepared and in sanitised packaging.

And paying low paid & self employed key workers at the bottom of the wages heap their full wages while self isolating. But really that ain’t gonna happen is it? So they will just keep going into work even if they are ill.

Edited by Laurent
  • I disagree 6
  • I agree completely 2
27 minutes ago, DACS said:

Ive seen a couple of staff filling delivery cases from the shelves, in all cases they have been wearing masks, visors, and gloves ( they wore gloves to handle items even before the pandemic).

Delivery drivers have also always been masked and gloved.

I realise people may still contaminate gloves if sneezing etc, but gloves do offer some protection.

• I agree completely 2
2 hours ago, Laurent said:

To single out leafleters when there are countless other ways for infection to enter peoples homes suggests the op has not really thought this through.

I didn't single out leaflet distributors per se, I simply commented on something that I had actually seen happen, nothing to think through !

If I wanted to start a post on all the potential ways that anyone could get infected, by any means in their own home, I would have done so, the list would have been full of many hypothetical scenarios with no actual proof of it happening, this did happen !

35 minutes ago, Laurent said:

Why would they not? Why would they not cough & sneeze? Why would the items they pick off the supermarket shelves not have been coughed & sneezed over? Why would self employed drivers using their own elderly vans & cars to deliver online orders not have coughed/sneezed/spat over the packages they deliver?

Why would they even go into work with the slightest cough or sneeze? Why would they not be good citizens & self isolate at home for 14 days? Perhaps you can tell me?

Perhaps they would not do as you suggest, because they have more sense than some posters. 🤷‍♂️

• I disagree 1
  • I agree completely 1

You zeroed in on a single event you witnessed. I am enlarging a bit on that. Why would low paid workers have more sense than you or me? Maybe they would not or maybe they just would not care.

Not caring is one reason people  do not bother with rules.  Being past caring is another one. If you feel like you are being exploited doing a frontline job you cannot afford to go sick from then maybe you would be past caring too?

It is very easy for those of us leading comfortable adequately funded lives to miss the above entirely which is what I think you did.

• I disagree 2
  • I agree completely 3
5 hours ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

A number of backbench MP's are whinging because their constituencies have been placed in tier three. 

When our elected representatives carry on like spoiled kids denied treats,  what message does that send out to people.  All looking for reasons not to do whats needed to save lives and protect the NHS.

Politicians for south Lincs have been in the news complaining their area is going to be in tier 3 saying rates there are not as high as others so is not justified. However, when you look at the rates there it is still over 200 cases per 100k population in a week so in my book that is very high. A few months ago when it was down to about 3. The other problem is the 2 main hospitals (Lincoln and Boston) were reported to have 25% of beds full of covid cases. The people in these areas probably need to travel to the towns to do their shopping so have to be careful. The politicians would be better saying that they agree with the tier 3 and going out of their way  to urge everyone to follow the rules and it would soon drop to a lower tier.

As for people not following rules, our daughter is a high school teacher and she phoned yesterday upset since another teacher had gone in on Wednesday with a bad cough and kept lowering her mask to breath she was coughing that much. Anyway the next day phoned to say her covid test was positive. As a result other teachers and children are now isolating and our daughter despite being in the same room has been told she does not need to isolate but is concerned. I suspect if she has caught it symptoms will show over the weekend and since she is in our bubble we are having to be careful for a few days. What I do not understand, the rules are quite simple, if showing symptoms stay at home and get a test and for somebody who will not suffer financially where is the problem.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Paul1957, could not agree with you more. 

Here is an open letter from one of our local councillors.

Post from ABC Cllr Winston Michael (Goat Lees ward) copied from Neighbourhood Watch Trinity Road Ashford.

"This evening I received a briefing on the Kent Tier 3 lockdown. I am the messenger so do not shoot me.

The explanation of why the whole of Kent was placed on Tier 3 was given. The WHO states that anything above 100 per 100k needs action. There is not a single place in Kent that is below this WHO figure, Ashford though one of the lowest is 126 / 100k. The WHO recommendation is that the sooner action is take when the 100 / 100k is breached the better the chance to bring infections rates down relatively quickly and thereby control the spread; to do otherwise could lead to much bigger and more prolonged restrictions. There is of course hospital capacity. Hospitals unlike the first lockdown must now deal with ailments other than just COVID, those that manifest themselves during winter months, and so reducing COVID infections will release resources to the winter illness spike. Looking at the three tiers, tier 3 is seen as the singly most effective one. Liverpool is an example of this, it has just moved to Tier 2, following an earlier timely move to Tier 3. It seems that the data shows infection rates under Tier 2 hover at the same point with no change i.e. neither up nor down, whereas Tier 1 sees increases and is largely ineffective because people ignore their lighter rules. The mass testing program will not use the present PCR test, but what is called Lateral Flow Test – this is a similar process to pregnancy testing, and results are obtained within 30 minutes. Interestingly, I was informed that a Lateral Flow Testing pilot is being undertaken at Wye with the help of the military. On the challenges of test and trace, an example was quoted where a group of 5 people that tested positive had made 602 contacts, which demanded considerable time to follow through on everyone. I think they are doing the best they can. We were reminded that if everyone acts sensibly there is no reason why Kent cannot move out of Tier 3 quickly – we are told it really is down to all of us to observe the rules and to ensure our family members, and that includes our children of all ages, understand the seriousness of where we are, and the danger of contracting the virus should they ignore the rules. It was said, there is no certainty how any one individual would react to the virus, it could threaten their life, it could leave them with ongoing problems for the rest of their life. We were told by ignoring the rules you could be responsible for the threat to life of another person. Kindest regards and keep safe."

• Like 2

Bailey Pageant Series 6 Champagne 2007    Tow Car Toyota Rav4

7 hours ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

...not to mention Burnham whose prevaricating to get more money caused a week's delay going into tier 3 at the cost of god knows how many people's long term health and maybe lives.  Liverpool, for once, did the right thing and can now see the dividend. 

• Like 1

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

15 hours ago, MalH said:

...not to mention Burnham whose prevaricating to get more money caused a week's delay going into tier 3 at the cost of god knows how many people's long term health and maybe lives.  Liverpool, for once, did the right thing and can now see the dividend. 

Joe Anderson the Mayor of Liverpool likened the praise heaped upon him from the government to be like a ‘viper showing it’s teeth’, but the mass testing seems to have had the desired effect.

• I agree completely 1