Caravan Break-Ins

Message added by CT Advertising,

logoPhantom250px.pngSecure and reliable tracking system for caravan, motor home and car owners. High-quality security at affordable prices, tailored to your specific needs. Find out more

Had anyone ever experienced a caravan break-in whilst on a site, or otherwise?  

Yes!   Only the once.   We left our caravan on site in Spain for ten days whilst we came home for Christmas.   On our return we found that entry had been forced through the side window (which was facing a wall)    Our DVD player was taken together with my duplicate car keys.   The only damage was to the three window catches.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Yes. While the caravan was in storage, a  couple of junkies broke into the caravan and 'lived' there for a couple of days. They also broke into a couple of other caravans while they were at it as well. One or two curtains suffered cigarette stub burns, they took a DVD recorder and some bedding, but all was found none the worse later in another caravan. Most annoying was the damage done to force the door which had to be replaced and the side panel resprayed as it was scratched.

Edited by Lutz

So far, no break in.

However, I do wonder if it's even worth locking the door because it's so easy to actually break in and the damage done to the door and surround is likely to cost more than the value of any items taken.

Honest people don't walk round trying doors.

15 years ago we were on the CMC site at Sandringham, the couple next door had a foreign caravan (possibly Adria) and on leaving the caravan the door locked behind them.  Apparently it was faulty and occasionally did it (the lock part dropped into place occasionally when the door was slammed) but they always took their keys with them, but this time they forgot them and they were sitting on the table inside the caravan.  I helped them to break in and it took about five minutes.  I won't say how we did it but it was just so easy that we now never leave anything valuable in ours when it's unattended.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Yes many years ago and only

the radio stolen. I till think it was someone who stored their van there. They cut away the edge of the window to gain access to the window catches then reach in and opened the door.  To break into the storage itself you'd have to be pretty determined.  Never had a break in while on a campsite thou.

Edited by hinchy

Once, whilst in the secure site.  A couple of junkies forced a window.  They didn't break it (don't know how), the one that got in, then opened the door for the second one to get in (the door was unlocked, so I'm assuming this).  I think they were getting out of the freezing cold as it was mid-winter.  One of them, I assume the one that got through the window, cut himself, and bled over the seating.  This is when I found out that blood does come off when you use salt:D.  After that, me and my hubby were never happy with it.  I can now understand why some people don't like to keep their homes when its been broken into.  Anyway, 18 months later, the caravan was stolen.  So bought another caravan.  So really, I was glad it went.  Just hope the new "owners" are having a bad time with it

Yes in storage.  A real amateur job it was too.  They chained my tow hook to their lorry leaving all four steadies down and tried to exit the storage at the best defended part of the site i.e. it had a 3 foot or so high bank followed by the ditch, the soil of which built the bank.  It was stuck and they left me with £11000 worth of damage.  Surprised it was not w/o.

Had my Home in Texas broken into the days before Christmas.  It is a horrible experience.  They took computers, a bit of cash, my general US ID's (they attempted to get credit at shops with them and it took two years to sort it out), two TV's, DVD player .....

However, my Cocker Spaniel defended the bedroom.  They couldn't get in ...... So threw bleach at her.  It was on her coat when I found her.  The investigators could see the drop stream across the carpet and over the bed where she had stood her ground.  The robbers then gave up and left.  She had defended not just my jewellery but the safe with my gun and other ID's in it.   The Vet said she would mostly likely have been blinded by that bleach ..... They sedated her, bathed her, and then I took her home.  

Okay, reason that I asked was that a friend's husband is a retired policeman and he said caravan break-ins happen more often than people realise so carry your valuables with you in the car if you go out ..... Lock the van if you are in it.  Just wondered if he was being over cautious with me.  

1 hour ago, daveat92 said:

However, I do wonder if it's even worth locking the door

But don't mention that to the insurance company, when they ask what damage was caused by the break in !

57 minutes ago, Silversurf said:

But don't mention that to the insurance company, when they ask what damage was caused by the break in !

Wise words ! 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

53 minutes ago, Silversurf said:

There won't be any damage, that's the point!

As others have said, don't leave anything of high value in the van. 

The TV, which is the highest value loose item, only cost £70 and I can tolerate that going, but it hasn't in the years I've been 'vanning.

Anything of value is either with me, or locked in the car, out of sight. Breaking into a car is more difficult (but still not that difficult, I know) but is likely to cause more noise.

2 hours ago, daveat92 said:

So far, no break in.

However, I do wonder if it's even worth locking the door because it's so easy to actually break in and the damage done to the door and surround is likely to cost more than the value of any items taken.

Honest people don't walk round trying doors.

Replacement of the door, repair and respray of the side panel after my caravan was broken into cost almost £3000.

21 minutes ago, Lutz said:

Replacement of the door, repair and respray of the side panel after my caravan was broken into cost almost £3000.

I rest my case, M'lud.

Had our caravan broken into many years ago at our fav cl site. The young  thugs took our slabs of 1964 Krone berg beer. 

Did not put us off going there once I knew who they were. 

14 hours ago, Lady Bird said:

The young  thugs took our slabs of 1964 Krone berg beer. 

Please excuse my ignorance, I often enjoy slabs of chocolate and sometimes a slab of toffee, but how would one drink a slab of beer?

I've also heard of "Kronenberg" beer but never Krone berg!       :(

Vin Blanc

13 minutes ago, Vin Blanc said:

Please excuse my ignorance, I often enjoy slabs of chocolate and sometimes a slab of toffee, but how would one drink a slab of beer?

Vin Blanc

I think that 'slab of beer' is an American term - they say it in Australia too.

Excuse me but I think it's a bit heavy to pick someone up about their spelling.  It's easy to miss out a letter or whatever, particularly if you're using a phone or small tablet.

John

BTW ...... Back to security issue ..... Never leave anything in your van that has your home address on ..... Or where you hide your slabs (be they beer or chocolate 😉)

2 hours ago, Leedslad said:

Excuse me but I think it's a bit heavy to pick someone up about their spelling.  It's easy to miss out a letter or whatever, particularly if you're using a phone or small tablet.

Sorry Leeds Lad, I’m not criticizing Lady Bird’s spelling,  (notice that I inadvertently misspelt the name “Kronenbourg” myself), but by using American and/Australian slang, I (amongst others) completely failed to understand her post.

In my naivety, I assumed that “Krone berg” must be a different company to “Kronenbourg”

As someone who was brought up and schooled to speak and write English, I have little understanding of American and/or Australian slang.  – Nor do I want to have!

Vin Blanc

3 hours ago, Vin Blanc said:

Vin Blanc

Give over! So I missed n out! 

A slab of beer is also a military saying. 

2 hours ago, Johnaldo said:

3F070341-1F27-4320-A1B3-713B675128B4.jpeg.86ae6bcc6f710ea65bd466b709ea6438.jpeg

That's the one! Thank you! 

Johnaldo that's the one.

I was on site once when two caravans were stolen.  There was a big caravan show on nearby and the owners had packed up and gone to the last day of the show.  They came back to no caravans.

8 minutes ago, Lady Bird said:

A slab of beer is also a military saying.

During my time in the RAF,  beer was sold in bottles, only baked beans came in cans!      :D

Vin Blanc

4 minutes ago, Vin Blanc said:

During my time in the RAF,  beer was sold in bottles, only baked beans came in cans!      :D

Vin Blanc

If you've done a tour in the Falklands, you'd be familiar with the term 'slabs' as beer didn't come in bottles, at least in the early days.

Often used as currency, a slab of 'green' (Heineken or Carlsburg) or 'red'  (McEwens) was used as payment for favours done, especially on the mountain sites.

1 minute ago, Crannoghome said:

If you've done a tour in the Falklands, you'd be familiar with the term 'slabs' as beer didn't come in bottles, at least in the early days.

Often used as currency, a slab of 'green' (Heineken or Carlsburg) or 'red'  (McEwens) was used as payment for favours done, especially on the mountain sites.

Hubby did many a tour in the Falklands.  He liked it there as fishing was good.