Mobility car

dobbo

1 hour ago, Silversurf said:

No, the car is there for the disabled person only and is only supposed to be used to transport that person from a-b,

Twenty years ago my daughter bought an ex-mobility car which after three years,  had only 5000 recorded miles on the clock.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

On 26/11/2020 at 13:31, dobbo said:

Hi does anyone use a mobility car for towing if so what are the pros and cons 

thanks 

dobbo 

Now on our 4th motability vehicle ie

Citroen Picasso Grand

Ford Galaxy

Citroen Picasso Grand

Seat Taracco 4x4 150hp diesel

To qualify for Motability you need to be on the highest level of mobility disability.

Vehicle comes complete with

Full service for three year contract.

Replacement of tyres.

Glass replacement.

RAC cover breakdown-recovery-accident recovery.

Towing considerations.

Our caravan is 1660K MTPL so very few motability cars can tow this weight.

Just changed to our very impressive new tug Seat Taracco so up to date on Motability requirements.

First you can specify a factory fitted tow bar.

Downside-you are going to wait 6 months plus on it being built!

Second you must inform Motability you intend to have a tow bar fitted.

It cannot be D-I-Y😊.

Get advice on tow bar fitters my local Ford dealers "approved fitter" was out of his depth on modern electronics.

You now MUST phone the insurance company and inform them you have fitted a tow bar.

Are caravan flat tyres covered by RAC cover-No/but Yes.

The RAC sub contract cover in rural areas and in my experience the recovery garage has been quite happy to change wheels-always carry an inflated spare😊.

Damage-ALWAYS contact the RAC.

They are the arbiter on the vital repair time-if it goes over 24hours you will get a replacement hire car.

In my experience in the same day of breakdown!

Modern tow bars are not cheap!

Mine cost £575 including removable tow ball.

I always have dedicated electrics fitted ever since my experience with the Ford Galaxys non dedicated loom.

Remember its always good practice to follow guidelines regarding "running in" miles before towing as stated in your vehicle hand book-in the Teraccos case its 500K.

I did 50 but its not advisable.

3 minutes ago, Jaydug said:

Twenty years ago my daughter bought an ex-mobility car which after three years,  had only 5000 recorded miles on the clock.

ex-mobility cars, like ex-police cars can be exceedingly good cars, or can be absolute nails. Let buyer beware!

That 5,000 miles could either have been the key to a person being mobile enough to do their own shopping, or could just mean that they really did not need the car.

24 minutes ago, Stevan said:

ex-mobility cars, like ex-police cars can be exceedingly good cars, or can be absolute nails. Let buyer beware!

She's still running it.   Passes it's MOT every year.  So no complaints - other than the tax.class that its diesel engine puts it in. :angry:

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Some years ago I knew a severely disabled teenager.  Her mother drove a car and used a blue badge.  I once asked the girl what the car was like.  She'd never been in it.

3 hours ago, Stevan said:

You are mistaken in thinking that they "own" the car! 

I know that.  "In their possession" then.  If I buy a car on HP it's  not actually mine until I make the final payment.  Anybody running a car on a personal contract purchase basis doesn't  actually  own it at the end of the contract. 

5 hours ago, rovinmad said:

One can only speculate as to why the son qualifies for higher rate mobility allowance, but obviously he does.  But once the family owns the car they must surely be entitled  to use it how they wish.  If the mother is misusing the blue badge then that is quite another thing.  I am not sure if a fine is possible but it could certainly be taken away.

22 minutes ago, rovinmad said:

I know that.  "In their possession" then.  If I buy a car on HP it's  not actually mine until I make the final payment.  Anybody running a car on a personal contract purchase basis doesn't  actually  own it at the end of the contract. 

'In their possession" is very different to ownership, and numerous restrictions can be applied by the true owners.

Lease cars, PCP cars, Hire purchase cars, hire cars, company cars and Motability cars almost always have restrictions on use, some more onerous than others.

3 hours ago, Stevan said:

As far as Ex Police cars are concerned I would never even consider a “response” type car, only an Ex Traffic/Roads Policing one. The ex traffic one will have certainly have been driven hard, but not abused as almost without fail they have dedicated crews who tend to look after them. Response/Panda type vehicles are driven by every Tom dick and Harry many of who are, how shall I put this, not the most sympathetic of drivers. 

Traffic cars/motorcycles never have a defective item repaired, any suspect component is replaced with new. 

Another one worth considering are top of the range Ex hire cars. They are rarely hired out (because the base version is cheaper) so tend to get used just to ferry hire company staff about. That little snippet was given to me by the manager of the local well known National Hire Company. 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

5 hours ago, Stevan said:

You are mistaken in thinking that they "own" the car! They are given the use of the car, not ownership, and that use comes with restrictions. Similar to an employee being given the use of a company car, there may well be restrictions on who may drive and some restrictions on use. 

You only lease the Motability car, there are many restrictions for many things you have to request permission, you can fit a dashcam but it can only be hard wired by the dealer at the start of lease, after that it has to use the can 12v outlet only. You must request permission to fit winter tyres etc.

On 26/11/2020 at 13:31, dobbo said:

Hi does anyone use a mobility car for towing if so what are the pros and cons 

thanks 

dobbo 

Anyway back to the original post Skoda now a a full EV capable of towing a 1400kg caravan

For the benefit of anyone else likely to take me to task for my loose use of the word "own" may I apologise most profusely.

I do not have a motability vehicle nor to my knowledge am I acquainted  with anyone who does.  However I find it hard to believe that the disabled schoolboy whose mother uses the motability car to visit clients does not benefit directly from her earning money.

Must stop now as Strictly's on.

we bought an ex mobility car once, however we never realised it was until we got  to the post office  and was told that we could not tax it as we had to get in touch with DVLA to get the category  changed, it was easy enough to do , just inconvenient at the time. 

9 hours ago, Stevan said:

That 5,000 miles could either have been the key to a person being mobile enough to do their own shopping, or could just mean that they really did not need the car.

On the other hand, it could be someone like myself who suffers from chronic pain and sometimes can barely manage to put the kettle on.  

Motability vehicle insurance contract is the same length of time as the contract-3 years.

In my experience its been extended 3 times due to the replacement vehicle not being built before contract end.

You must identify ALL drivers who intend to drive the vehicle.

Only named drivers are insured.

The rules have been tightened in recent years because of serious abuse of the system eg named drivers living in London claiming to drive a vehicle"used" in Glasgow.

There is now a geographical limit on named drivers.