Mobility car

dobbo

Hi does anyone use a mobility car for towing if so what are the pros and cons 

thanks 

dobbo 

We have towed with several motorbility cars over the years with no problems.  Just asked if we could put towbar on and never been refused, don't understand about pro and cons because they are the same whoever owns the car.

Friend of ours uses a Vauxhall Insignia mobility car to tow and has no problems at all. Just had to tell them that he is going to tow and his dealer had to fit the towbar at his own expense (at about half the price of anywhere else) they even supplied the extra number plate.

One could almost be jealous but not when his wife's serious disabilities are taken into consideration.

Good luck to them.

Motability have an arrangement with their recovery company RAC, RAC Arriva £65.00, you cannot use Mayday/Greenflag or AA to recovery their vehicles

2023 Suzuki Across Hybrid and 2016 Swift Conqueror 480 HT

we insure our caravan and have a  recovery with it . I know the caravan is  covered if with the car on the car insurance, but belts and braces  is never a bad thing

Edited by joanie

Happy Days

Still giggling here ...... The image of a mobility car/scooter towing a caravan.  I think the maximum road speed is 20mph.  

Motability ..... There's a number of cars which can tow but many of them are higher models and so require larger down payments which have to be paid by the disabled person.  On top, you will have to pay for the tow bar.  This could mean you paying as much as £2000.  Best bet would be to call up the Motability advisor at your local dealership and ask what cars in their brand can tow  ****lbs.  That will then let you know what advance payments that you may be required to pay.   Remember, you will most likely have to give up all of your disability payment ..... That can be as much as £400 a month.  You might find it better to put that money away for some time, and buy a second hand car which will work for you.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dobbo said:

Thanks for all the replies 

No worries.  When I first became disabled, I went down the Motability route.  To get the couple of extras that I needed in the car, I had to pay £1500 in advance payment.  I then lost £425 a month for the four years that I had the car - which totals £20,500.  Now I know they pay insurance and road tax but my insurance would have been less than £50 a month roughly and it you own your car then you still get a discount on road tax.  When the car went back, the car had less than 6,000 miles on it.  I learned the hard way that I would have been better financially to have bought a two year old car myself and continued to receive my Disability.  I do hope that this helps ......

1 hour ago, YorkshireLhasa said:

No worries.  When I first became disabled, I went down the Motability route.  To get the couple of extras that I needed in the car, I had to pay £1500 in advance payment.  I then lost £425 a month for the four years that I had the car - which totals £20,500.  Now I know they pay insurance and road tax but my insurance would have been less than £50 a month roughly and it you own your car then you still get a discount on road tax.  When the car went back, the car had less than 6,000 miles on it.  I learned the hard way that I would have been better financially to have bought a two year old car myself and continued to receive my Disability.  I do hope that this helps ......

1 hour ago, YorkshireLhasa said:

Still giggling here ...... The image of a mobility car/scooter towing a caravan.  I think the maximum road speed is 20mph.  

Motability ..... There's a number of cars which can tow but many of them are higher models and so require larger down payments which have to be paid by the disabled person.  On top, you will have to pay for the tow bar.  This could mean you paying as much as £2000.  Best bet would be to call up the Motability advisor at your local dealership and ask what cars in their brand can tow  ****lbs.  That will then let you know what advance payments that you may be required to pay.   Remember, you will most likely have to give up all of your disability payment ..... That can be as much as £400 a month.  You might find it better to put that money away for some time, and buy a second hand car which will work for you.

Enhanced Rate Mobility Component of Personal Independence Payment (ERMC PIP) As of 06 April 2020, this allowance is £62.25 per week. War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement (WPMS) As of 08 April 2020, this allowance is £69.50 per week.

I cannot understand were you get your figures from the 2020 rate is only £62.25 per week, that £3,237 per year or £9,711 over the 3 year lease, you forgot to add you get fully comprehensive insurance, a very comprehensive breakdown cover, servicing, tyre etc and 60,000 miles, plus a £600 good condition bonus at the end of the lease, plus no credit check, as far as I am aware no lease company come close.

Edited by Oscarmax

I decided 25 years ago to use the Mobility component to purchase our own vehicle and to our specification.

Because a full wheelchair access and transport was required the vehicles have always been zero rated for VAT.

3 years ago we decided to return to caravanning so looked for a suitable vehicle with side wheelchair access (nearly all WAVs are rear access- not suitable when a towbar is needed and a caravan behind.

We settled on a T6 VW Caravelle and have not looked back.

I recently did some spreadsheet calculations and taking into account mobility upfront payments and towbar, together with my additional insurance and servicing costs (£0 road fund licence) etc after 5 years (the standard lease for WAVs) if I can sell or trade in for around £15000 I will break even  (currently 5 year old T5 Caravelle Executives are selling for £20-25000 (private/dealer).

Oscar, you are quite correct on the figure of £62.25 per week.  ?  If that was the case, over the four years I had the car that was £13,000.  In some cases though, if you are Disabled but still doing certain full time  work, there are special enhancements and tax credits that come into play.  I lost all when I took the car.  I think that this is a situation where you have to look at what YOU personally get and whether the loss is more/less valuable than purchasing a second hand car and continuing with your Disability.  My car insurance, for example, is very low as a result of no accidents, the types of driving licences I hold, and a work discount so my comprehensive cover is just under £50 a month for a sporty car.  Also, remember, I had built up under 6,000 miles over four years with the car as most of my work can be done from home ..... If you are likely to do 60,000 miles over four years then the advantages of servicing, tyres etc come into play.   I also buy my cars outright so I don't have to worry about get finance which may be a serious attraction to many.  I don't think that there is a "right of wrong" here ..... I actually believe that it is a wonderful service ..... Just useful knowing your options and making an educated decision which works for you as an individual.  

Purely out of interest, are there any mileage limits on motability vehicles? Actually driving an ex motability car at the moment. 

22 minutes ago, Dobloseven said:

Purely out of interest, are there any mileage limits on motability vehicles? Actually driving an ex motability car at the moment. 

60,000 miles over a 3 year contract or 100,000 over a 5 year contract.

Mileage over the limits applicable is charged at 5p per mile.

2 hours ago, YorkshireLhasa said:

I then lost £425 a month for the four years that I had the car

But you gained a car !

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

The mileage limit is 12000 per year. You can not carry miles over into the next year so for example if in year 1 you do 9000 miles that does not allow you do 15000 in year 2 to make the limit of 24000 . We have a motability vehicle the benefits are obvious but the number of vehicles on the scheme that can tow a caravan is dropping. My wife’s car has to bee an auto so that limits further the available vehicles. We are currently awaiting delivery of a new Ford  Kuga 2.0 auto diesel. The up front cost is £ 2200. We currently have a Hyundai Tucson 1.7auto which tows great returning 33 mpg towing but the new version is only 1.6  so decided to change to the Ford. The cost of a towbar every three years is a pain but if you add up the cost of the car / servicing/ insurance / breakdown it seems a good deal to myself.

Edited by Alan Roscoe

5 minutes ago, Silversurf said:

But you gained a car !

I had use of the car for four years, then had to hand it back.  It would have cost me £24,000 to buy new ..... But with a one owner, under 6k miles, and in perfect condition ..... I could have sold it for £12,000 (which is what the dealer sold it for).  I lost over £20,000 in Disability ..... For me, personally I lost out financially.  However, that might not be the case for someone else ..... Motability is a great system ..... It just didn't work for me.  Which is why I say ..... Know the in's and out's ....... Work out your personal figures ..... Make an educated decision which works best for you ?

• Like 1

Surely the purpose of “Motability” is to provide disabled people with a basic means of transport to assist them in getting around, rather than it being a system of subsidising them to get a larger vehicle than is needed so they can go caravanning as well?   

My sister and brother in law (both being air thieves) constantly complain about the cost of their motability car, they are paying far less their new motobility car than I am for a second hand car and theirs is large enough  to carry TWO mobility scooters (which they don’t really need) but they are experts at working the system. Grrrrrrr!! 

I am now going to retreat below the parapet as doubtless some rocks will be coming my way shortly ! 

• Haha 1
  • I agree completely 8

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

22 minutes ago, YorkshireLhasa said:

I had use of the car for four years, then had to hand it back.  It would have cost me £24,000 to buy new ..... But with a one owner, under 6k miles, and in perfect condition ..... I could have sold it for £12,000 (which is what the dealer sold it for).  I lost over £20,000 in Disability ..... For me, personally I lost out financially.  However, that might not be the case for someone else ..... Motability is a great system ..... It just didn't work for me.  Which is why I say ..... Know the in's and out's ....... Work out your personal figures ..... Make an educated decision which works best for you ?

6,000 miles over 4 years is incredibly low, the Motability scheme is definitely not for you, personally if I was in your position I would buy an ex police BMW X5

6 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Surely the purpose of “Motability” is to provide disabled people with a basic means of transport to assist them in getting around, rather than it being a system of subsidising them to get a larger vehicle than is needed so they can go caravanning as well?   

My sister and brother in law (both being air thieves) constantly complain about the cost of their motability car, they are paying far less their new motobility car than I am for a second hand car and theirs is large enough  to carry TWO mobility scooters (which they don’t really need) but they are experts at working the system. Grrrrrrr!! 

I am now going to retreat below the parapet as doubtless some rocks will be coming my way shortly ! 

Never heard that one before air thieves:lol:

I am disabled and yes I have a Motability car, I mainly use my mobility walker to keep my muscles working rather than my scooter, but yes you are correct it does go on.

• Like 1

Motability is not means tested, nor does it matter whether you work or not.  It is simply if you are Disabled.   As far as the cars ...  Motability is a charity and not run by the government.  They arrange contracts with motor companies.  If the rental is higher than the base rate we get, then we make an advance payment to make up the difference in rental price over the three years.  There is no reason why Disabled people cannot choose the car they want exactly as any other Abled person would.

Oscar ..... Am in the process of shopping for a new BMW as my current convertible can only tow 1300 and I will need 1500 minimum.  Also, the boot is tiny on the convertible ..... A single grocery bag, a carrier bag with a pair of shoes ..... And not much more.  Additionally, the back seats are cramped so don't offer much storage there.  Emmie normally sits in her chair in the passenger seat but when my friend is over from the States then we have to seat belt clip her in at the back because there isn't enough room for her chair.  Thanks for the recommendation ..... I will definitely take a look at the X5.  ?

2 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

well I shall add my twopennyworth,  of course those with a major disability should be helped .I don't accept that the charity is a charity as it is owned by the major banks and paid for albeit  indirectly by the government.   Looking at some of the disability cars, I'm sure there are cheaper cars that could be issued, thereby helping more people to be mobile .  I know the benefit is not  means tested but if some people can afford a decent car  with extras  then perhaps it should be means tested  after all . 

• I agree completely 1

Happy Days

I was admiring a very nice late Jaguar parked outside the local B&M Bargains yesterday, when a young couple virtually sprinted up, jumped in and sped away, Blue Badge and all.  I've tried to think of the circumstances that would justify their use of a Blue Badge.  I know that all disabilities are not visible but I suspect that there is widespread abuse.

On another occasion I was heading into our local Tesco when  an old chap arrived in a large Mercedes sports car.  He struggled into the store with some significant difficulty but once inside a miraculous change came over him.  He became most spritely and fairly raced up the aisle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, rovinmad said:

I was admiring a very nice late Jaguar parked outside the local B&M Bargains yesterday, when a young couple virtually sprinted up, jumped in and sped away, Blue Badge and all.  I've tried to think of the circumstances that would justify their use of a Blue Badge.  I know that all disabilities are not visible but I suspect that there is widespread abuse.

On another occasion I was heading into our local Tesco when  an old chap arrived in a large Mercedes sports car.  He struggled into the store with some significant difficulty but once inside a miraculous change came over him.  He became most spritely and fairly raced up the aisle.

There are people who abuse every single rule! A rule which prevents them from parking wherever they want to is sure to often be ignored, particularly if there is negligible prospect of any adverse consequence. For many people their own belief about adverse consequences is the only thing that makes them comply with any rule.

19 hours ago, Richie43 said:

We have towed with several motorbility cars over the years with no problems.  Just asked if we could put towbar on and never been refused, don't understand about pro and cons because they are the same whoever owns the car.

As I understand it these cars come with insurance is the insurer asked as well?

I think dealers like to provide these motability cars to disabled people as more money in these sales than to me.

I wanted  a base model new car and dealer said no discount and only offered a mediocre p/x on my car.  I asked for price of a higher spec. car and that was £2K cheaper with a £1K higher p/x.  Apparently the one I bought out of the motability price range

Edited by David 38
Not clear after you merged.

Regards, David
Peugeot 308 GT Premium, 1.5 diesel 2021