Jump to content

Dent in the Side Panel of a 14 Year Old German Caravan


Recommended Posts

I had a slight argument with the bicycle rack on the back of a VW Caravelle when doing a very tight right turn in a German campsite at the end of last year.  In my defence (not that there is much) the VW was on my blindside and it was very wet and cold outside.

 

Does anyone know anyone or company who could repair an old fashion dimple side panel?  Luckily, the skin is not punctured so it is cosmetic only. 

 

Many thanks,

 

Bob

Caravan dent.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

You are not going to find anyone to repair that because it’s a metal sheet that has had the dimples put in on a press. In addition where the dent is the metal will have been stretched and it cannot be un-stretched (well it can but at huge time and cost) I reckon it’s either find a whole new panel (unlikely) or learn to live with it. 

 

Or you could try and find something to go over the top to disguise it. 

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking as close as I can, I would suspect the seal at the join may be damaged with attendant risk of water ingress.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Link to post
Share on other sites

You could "dress it in" &fill it with body filler then respray it --finding paint to match could be a problem unless you mix your own "on site". This isnt an "armchair answer"-i did it to our Avondale in a farmers field. Had to make a spray gun &a compressor from two tyre pumps &old gas cylinder.These days its possable to get (on E bay)a 12 volt spray set. If you go to a car repair shop it could be expensive........Replicating the dimples coud be "fun"

Dave

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have a look at these, some interesting solutions.

 

The first one is good, no special tools needed, but rather than using Plasticine you could possibly would use some self hardening modelling clay with some release agent on it to prevent it sticking to the filler.

 

You could fill the area of the damage with successive coats of filler to within the depths of the dimples, a final cot and press the clay onto the surface for the dimpled effect.

 

The squashed dimples next to the rail could be a problem unless you gently tapped them down by the thickness of the dimples.

 

To be able to dimple the whole area, you could mask off a rectangular square, make a shallow box / tray of the same size, fill this with the clay, press it onto a similar area anywhere on the van to form your mould, once hard put the last coat of filler on, as above, some release agent/wax on the clay, press it in and it theory you  should have a reasonably good finish.

 

If you Google dimpled caravan wall repairs I would think there would be more vids.

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you very much for the speedy replies:

 

1.   Replacement panel would cost over £3000 and not worth it for a 14 year old caravan despite it having many miles left to give.

 

2.   I had thought of filling it and putting something over the top - may still be my final solution.

 

3.   Luckily the seal at the joint does not appear to be broken or at least there is no damp showing up either on a damp meter or visibly inside despite being in storage for nearly a year now without moving.

 

4.  Silversurf's idea look good - definitely a Spring project but may have to fall back on Mr Plodd's at the end or a bit of mix and match.

 

I was hoping that there was still a firm that dealt with refurbishing and repairing old dimple sided caravans but I haven't found one yet.

 

Thank you all very much for your ideas and suggestions - it is very much appreciated.

 

Bob

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Punto338 said:

I had a slight argument with the bicycle rack on the back of a VW Caravelle when doing a very tight right turn in a German campsite at the end of last year.  In my defence (not that there is much) the VW was on my blindside and it was very wet and cold outside.

 

Does anyone know anyone or company who could repair an old fashion dimple side panel?  Luckily, the skin is not punctured so it is cosmetic only. 

 

Many thanks,

 

Bob

Caravan dent.png

If it were mine I would add a dummy vent to that area, something like the attached pic perhaps?

2FD07D02-06E0-447D-B67F-BE24A8060627.jpeg

  • Like 2

Powrtouch AWD Movers. E & P Compact Levelling System.

Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s a much better disguise than the “usual” extra side reflector ! 

  • Thanks 1

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dummy vent is a great idea if I can't match the dimples - thank you.  Also thank you Joanie for the decal link.  I am not sure OH would approve of  "Bike Rack 1 Fendt 0' but she might approve of "Grumpy Old Man Inside" which I saw and which accurately describes me at the moment as I try and get my leg to accept its new knee!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck with your caravan Punto and also your new knee joint.

 

I had a full knee replacement in April last year.

 

Still very sore at times and the swelling😡

Ade.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Punto338 said:

Dummy vent is a great idea if I can't match the dimples - thank you.  Also thank you Joanie for the decal link.  I am not sure OH would approve of  "Bike Rack 1 Fendt 0' but she might approve of "Grumpy Old Man Inside" which I saw and which accurately describes me at the moment as I try and get my leg to accept its new knee!

Or a round dummy vent if you preferred - maybe 2 to cover?

2B8DD3B0-8AAE-4E6D-ADCE-DC5B6EC1C6C9.jpeg

  • Thanks 1

Powrtouch AWD Movers. E & P Compact Levelling System.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, George&Ade said:

Good luck with your caravan Punto and also your new knee joint.

 

I had a full knee replacement in April last year.

 

Still very sore at times and the swelling😡

Ade.

Thanks Ade.  Op was finally at the end of July having originally been due 2 days after the start of the March lockdown.  Acceptance of the new knee taking longer than I had anticipated.  Bob

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I think its going to take a while.

Mine is still numb around the knee area(I believe nerves are severed during the op.)

I can't kneel on it.

I get 2/3 "clicks" from joint with each step.

Consultant told me not to attempt jogging or running.

 

Apart from that......I'm fine🤣🤣

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be more concerned about the damage to the corner.

I covered a similar dent on my van with a false vent cover and it looks like it's supposed to be there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, George&Ade said:

Yes I think its going to take a while.

Mine is still numb around the knee area(I believe nerves are severed during the op.)

I can't kneel on it.

I get 2/3 "clicks" from joint with each step.

Consultant told me not to attempt jogging or running.

 

Apart from that......I'm fine🤣🤣

 

 

A left leg that belongs to a fly half and a right leg that belongs to a prop forward - familiar? :D

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, daveat92 said:

I would be more concerned about the damage to the corner.

I covered a similar dent on my van with a false vent cover and it looks like it's supposed to be there.

Good to know that the dummy vent looks ok - thank you.

 

The nudge happened in the south of Germany at the beginning of December.  I drove back through Germany and Belgium getting home around 12 Dec.  I went via a German Fendt dealer who checked it out and resited (with the aid of a rubber mallet!) and resealed the joining metal strip between the side panel and the roof (I have a new section of metal strip, rubber base and sealant to put on when I start the repair).  The weather wasn't great on the drive back and the caravan went into store before Christmas last year.  Apart from a couple of trips round the storage site to rotate the wheels, it hasn't moved since.  The service engineer has had his damp meter inside on the corner a couple of times during the year and there is no sign of damp or mould.  All seems to be ok - so fingers crossed that it is cosmetic only.  

 

Bob

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...