Avtex TV adaptor?????

So I bought an Avtex TV. So far so good.

I can plug it into a 12v socket and I can plug it in to a 13 amp socket so why was an adaptor / power source included?

This adaptor plugs into the 13 amp socket and then the TV. What need is there for it. Slightly mysified on this.

Can anyone tell me why please?

On my Avtex the 12v cable is plugged directly from a 12v socket into a 12v input in the TV. To use on 240v I need to use the supplied 'adaptor' i.e. a transformer that plugs into the 240v socket and then supplies 12v into the same 12v input in the TV.

Not sure what your adaptor is??

• I agree completely 2

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

Basically, you don't need it.  Don't even know what I have done with ours.  I suppose the only reason it's included with the TV is for use in the rare situation where there is a 240v socket near the aerial point, but no 12v socket.

• I agree completely 1

VW Touareg Escape towing a 2018 Knaus Starclass 695

56 minutes ago, richardandros said:

Basically, you don't need it.  Don't even know what I have done with ours.  I suppose the only reason it's included with the TV is for use in the rare situation where there is a 240v socket near the aerial point, but no 12v socket.

Ours is the same and in the caravan it is left permanently wired into the 12 V DC and the 240 volt adaptor is somewhere at home. We always have 12 V DC in the van,  be we camp on or off an EHU.

Should I sell the van and use the TV at home in a bedroom, I would not have 12 V DC, so I would have to find the mains adaptor and run off mains.

Edit: I have just read the handbook online; the 12 V DC lead is suitable for plugging into either a 12 or 24 V DC socket, the TV is even more flexible in its powering than I had remembered.

Edited by JTQ

My conundrum is solved. You are all right but you might be interested in my tale.

I toddled off to Salop Leisure and bought the TV and a small rechargable Hoover vacuum for the van amongst other interesting goodies. On returning home Petal helped me to unpack all the items. How kind.

I took the TV down to the van which is parked on a spare patch of ground by my garage and began to sort things out. With the TV was a 'kettle' type mains lead, an adaptor and a 12v car cigar lighter lead. I plugged in my 12v lead and set up the TV and had a fiddle for half an hour. Lovely little TV and I was impressed with the signal  / quality screen which made finding the transmitter which could provide the best signal for my directional aerial - much easier than in days of yore with older TV's.

Time passed and I returned to the homestead to get the Hoover on charge. Guess what? Who ever packed it forgot to put a 'kettle' type mains lead in the damm thing. Luckily I have a spa ................................  Duh!:blink: The penny dropped.

Back to the van to look at the TV. Sure enough there was no socket on the TV for a kettle type plug.

Petal had put the vacuum mains lead by the TV stuff because the vacuum is rechargable ??????????????????:blink: No, I can't figure it out either.

I'm sure there is a moral to this tale but one eludes me for the time being.

• Haha 1