Hand-Cranked Torch sought

Richard_Y

I'm looking for a decent hand-held torch,  ( flashlight, whichever you prefer),  recharged by hand cranking.

And I'm looking for something we can buy without using Amazon, which we've boycotted for years now, but which seems to have a monopoly on the few I've seen so far.

Something more than a little key-ring job, less than a major installation, just comfortable to carry in the hand, while still having a good beam, and reasonably robust for outdoor use.

So far I'm drawing a surprising blank... and the really annoying thing is that we used to have just such a  one, and somewhere in our travels it's got lost!

Any recommendations would be welcome, please. My family's asking for Christmas ideas :)

Thanks,

Richard

13 minutes ago, Richard_Y said:

I'm looking for a decent hand-held torch,  ( flashlight, whichever you prefer),  recharged by hand cranking.

Here's one option 

Sealey AK3305

• Like 1

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

Two good ideas - thank you.

I was hoping some camping suppliers would sell them, I like supporting actual shops, but both these will be worth pursuing.

Edited by Richard_Y
Correction

Just type “wind up torch” into eBay … there’s loads of them …

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2553941.m570.l1311&_nkw=wind+up+torch&_sacat=0

John

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My kids use these, they work a treat.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/onbright-50-dynamo-torch/_/R-p-4296

sorry just re read your post we also have one of these in the van.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/autonomous-rechargeable-torch-dynamo-500-usb-blue-75-lumens/_/R-p-166852

Edited by Hursty_30
  • Like 1

I've had one in the caravan for about fifteen years.   This is it

IMG_20201210_100328.jpg.567bfe882c67a28cc7e43461ad00fa9a.jpg

All it needs is a few twists backwards and forwards of the black section on the end.   I see a more modern version is on ebay at £14.30 - unfortunately it's in Germany so it also carries a hefty postage charge.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

We use the torch on a mobile phone. Always handy and always power available. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Well I have a couple of these modern led torches  had them ages still as bright as ever so the batteries must be good so I wonder if one of these would be a better buy?

Regards, David
Peugeot 308 GT Premium, 1.5 diesel 2021

I find that with modern LED torches the batteries last a very long time, both in use and shelf life.  The windup ones that I have tried seem very flimsy. 

Just now, ChrisUK said:

I find that with modern LED torches the batteries last a very long time, both in use and shelf life.  The windup ones that I have tried seem very flimsy. 

David38 posted at the same time with the same comment!

Chris in Warwickshire, Elddis Odyssey 482 (2008), Mitsubishi Outlander diesel, 2017

Having hot the RAC breakdown kit the torch in their which is lever operated, although small seems remarkably good. Depends a bit on what you want it for as any that I have heard of are for short bursts and a conventional one is always going to be better if you need it for longer periods while you do some work.

We carry one in the caravan which we bought from Aldi/Lidl, (can't remember which). It still has charge left in it when we return to the caravan, even this year when we visited it after leaving it for 12+ months, (operation and covid). At home we've got a wind up National Trust one which was bought for us by in-laws several years ago. 

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).