Message added by JonF,

ValetProValetPRO cleaning products

Enjoy 15% discount (Code:CT15) from our UK manufactured products.

Trusted by the trade and enthusiasts worldwide.  Click here for more.

Not had the van long and it was nice and clean when we picked it up a couple of months ago but it is already looking a bit grubby, so before it gets too cold I would like to give it a clean and also protect it for the winter. 
As I understand it, polish will potentially have a mild abrasive in it for cleaning along with a bit of wax. In which case I would rather have just a wax and give the van a good shampoo before applying. Or should I consider a sealer, seems to be a few out there so has anyone got a recommendation?

• Like 1

My opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.;)

Or use Tourershine who are members of CT - they did a superb job on my caravan.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I did get a quote but their on line suggested price (£200 for a caravan) is ‘very’ conservative, plus the final line was ‘as it is over a year old it will almost certainly need remedial work which will increase the price’! So as much as I wanted to go that route decided to give it a miss!

fwiw .....

I normally .....

give a decent wet rinse first to get grit & loose off (especially delicate windows), warm wash with Simonize Car type wash & wax with microfire sponge (toothbrush for fine corners and trim edges etc) usually do whole roof first with an extending brush & sponge - Small Paintbrush & an awning rail mini brush for fine detail edges also.

Bobby Dazzler sprayed onto wet Van to finish off.    

About twice a year .....

Windows and roof hatches opened to clean around edges.  Old toothbrush taped onto a pole to reach across.

Heavy stains - Farecla G3, light stains / black streaks etc Autoglym Car Wax Polish for van & windows.

Sealant ingrained dirt or discoloured  - Car Brake cleaner spay with a toothbrush + kitchen roll - with care or Autoglym polish.    

M

Thanks Montesa for a comprehensive reply, Autoglym products do seem popular on here. Used Bobby Dazzler when we had a motor home and it kept it looking good, just the roof that could have done with a little protection as it continued to go green!

Edited by Stagn8

1 hour ago, montesa said:

fwiw .....

I normally .....

give a decent wet rinse first to get grit & loose off (especially delicate windows), warm wash with Simonize Car type wash & wax with microfire sponge (toothbrush for fine corners and trim edges etc) usually do whole roof first with an extending brush & sponge - Small Paintbrush & an awning rail mini brush for fine detail edges also.

Bobby Dazzler sprayed onto wet Van to finish off.    

About twice a year .....

Windows and roof hatches opened to clean around edges.  Old toothbrush taped onto a pole to reach across.

Heavy stains - Farecla G3, light stains / black streaks etc Autoglym Car Wax Polish for van & windows.

Sealant ingrained dirt or discoloured  - Car Brake cleaner spay with a toothbrush + kitchen roll - with care or Autoglym polish.    

M

How big  is your caravan, it would take years to clean ours with a tooth brush ? :D

Before using the brake cleaner did you have to check it did not affect any of the plastics ?

Dependent on age a wash and sealant or wax is fine but ideally  wash, then Polish then  wax or sealant  is ideal, you can put sealant on top of a wax and wax on top of sealant sometimes dependent on sealant so I believe.

Edited by Jezzerb

First thing is DONT use domestic washing up liquid to wash your caravan, it’s far too good at its job! It’s designed to get grease off saucepans so any finish on a caravan doesn’t stand a chance against it  (Info from Autoglym regional manager) 

I use use Autoglym Super Resin Polish ( virtually abrasive free) and then Autoglym’s surface sealer. I can’t recall its exact name, but it’s a very thin liquid that really “seals” the surface. The treatment is good for many many months. I only redo it when water stops beading on the surface. 

Get yourself an orbital polisher (Lidl etc do them) They take all of the effort out of doing the acres of flat surface on a caravan ! You don’t need to press hard, just hold it gently against the surface and let it do it’s job. 

Carnuba wax wax is good stuff as well ! 

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

First thing is DONT use domestic washing up liquid to wash your caravan, it’s far too good at its job! It’s designed to get grease off saucepans so any finish on a caravan doesn’t stand a chance against it  (Info from Autoglym regional manager) 

I use use Autoglym Super Resin Polish ( virtually abrasive free) and then Autoglym’s surface sealer. I can’t recall its exact name, but it’s a very thin liquid that really “seals” the surface. The treatment is good for many many months. I only redo it when water stops beading on the surface. 

Get yourself an orbital polisher (Lidl etc do them) They take all of the effort out of doing the acres of flat surface on a caravan ! You don’t need to press hard, just hold it gently against the surface and let it do it’s job. 

Carnuba wax wax is good stuff as well ! 

ANother Autoglym fan here...I think Plodd is refering to Extra Gloss Protector which I use too

Trevor.

Always used Autoglym super resin, tried the extra gloss protector but never really got on with it.

Polished early last month and washed with wash n wax last week. (a few trees near driveway)

sprayed with Fenwicks over wintering fluid yesterday, I was given some so I thought that I would give it a go. I will just have to wait and see if it makes any difference at all.

Good news then, already got some Super Resin polish and the Extra Gloss protector isn’t a bad price! 😀. Have thought about a DA polisher for the car but thought the caravan paint would be to soft/fragile but you find it works Andy?

Next question, do you get on the roof to get to the centre, seen the Bailey advert with a car parked on it so assume it is strong enough. Can’t see how you can do it effectively otherwise.

Thanks for the info. guys, I think the Autoglym route seems to be the way and I was quite keen on the sealant idea so sorted!

Extra Gloss Protector, that’s the stuff!. Just be sure to let it fully dry (goes white and powdery) before polishing it off ! 

Autoglym is designed to be used on cars paintwork, it’s not really an abrasive so, unless you get stupidly enthusiastic with a brutal industrial grade polisher for an hour you are never going to wear through it. If the skin is GRP even better as that’s colour impregnated gel coat. 

I have been all over the roof with no problem several times (all 110 kg of me!) but I do try and stay close to the edges or use a square of ply or similar (with a bit of carpet underneath it) to spread the load.

Others will tell me I am mad and I/you shouldn’t even contemplate getting on the roof! Bovvered?? 

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

Never seems to last as well for me so moved to Bilt Hamber super speed wax.

As my name was mentioned in this thread, if I could be so bold as to add a little context to the comment that some people might take away that our 'from' prices are 'conservative' and in any way unfair.  

Our 'from' prices are exactly this because it's very difficult to give a fixed price on the basis that rarely, no two jobs are the same.  Also, we are based in Leicestershire and have to factor in travel all over the UK.  Without mentioning the OP's exact location, it's not local to Leicestershire or even the Midlands, so therefor the 'from' price is not really relevant and only meant as a very rough guide, which most people fully understand.   To give a quick bit of insight to how we as a mobile business, price locations.  We cannot charge the true cost of travelling, factoring in fuel, vehicle wear and tear and more importantly, time taken to travel to and from a job.  If we did, we would be too unrealistically priced for customers outside the Midlands area.  So instead we have a limit on the 'extra' we charge for this, and it's swings and roundabouts, but means we can cover the whole country fairly. 

Also, just so it's made clear.  This Caravan, although new to the OP, is actually an ex-demo from 2019.  I try to make it clear on my website that the Tourershield service is designed for 'New or nearly New' units only.  There is a reason for this and a lot of it's to do with the preparation work and our zero compromise to standards.

We've been doing what we do for nearly 15 years now and I can say that 90% of ex-demo Caravans or Motorhomes will need remedial work before we apply a sealer.  Ex-demo's can have a variety of different surface issues that we need to fix, but in general terms, we will not apply a paint sealant to a surface that isn't perfect, or you will only seal in these imperfections.  Some companies might be happy to come along and seal in damage, weathering other issues, but it's not what we will do, hence it's never easy to give a fixed website price and I have to use the term 'from' 

Please don't take this as a dig at the OP, because it isn't at all.  It's simply  an explanation to anyone reading the comments and taking them out of context. 

Paul 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • I agree completely 2

Tourershine Job Blog here: https://tourershineblog. wordpress. com where we give full run-downs of some of the most interesting work we carry out.

Check out the latest blog to see one of the most common issues we fix. .

Totally agree Tourer shine; a proper job takes a lot of time and labour and hence the cost involved; you're paying for your expertise and having seen pictures of your work it's well worth it imo. Whether people are willing to pay for it is of course up to them but doing the job yourself is fine but it's hard work!

• Thanks 1

Hi Paul, no problem at all with your comments, all very fair and I have noticed you have a strong following which is clearly hard earned.  As mentioned you were my preferred option but after buying the caravan, motormover, awning  and myriad of other small but often expensive items (batteries, wing mirrors etc) the piggy bank was getting a bit empty and we haven’t really been anywhere yet! 😂.

So, not planning to use another detailer but go the DIY route and see how I get on.

Thanks for the info. and comments Andy, have walked all over  previous motorhome roofs without any problems and they didn’t flex in the slightest so reasonably confident an Alutec  built caravan roof will easily be up to my weight! 

Not used Bill Hamber Jezzer but the name does come up a lot in advice from various forums but I will give Autoglym a go first, plus, it is the product Bailey sell through Prima, so somewhere close to a recommendation from them.

Thanks again all, appreciated.

Keith

• Like 1

We only use Autoglym Super Resin Polish as so does Tourershine who done it to our caravan before we collected it in Feb 2018, even today using Autoglym Super Resin Polish the caravan still looks like new, no marks or scratches just silky smooth bodywork in mint condition with a great shine, we carry this out ourselves twice a year, I don't think any other products come close to Autoglym Super Resin Polish and we over many years have tried them all trust us! Stick to a brand that knows what they are doing as they say!you pay for what you get!

As you say imo can't beat SRP but unless they have improved the formula have never rated the topgloss extra protection-just didn't seem to last as well as the Bilt Hamber -still going strong on my Navara 6 months in.

Hi Guy's,

Just a thought;

This section is now sponsored by Valet Pro who have provided the services of their valet professional, Elliott.

Chances are they will promote their own products for your problems but seeing as they are well respected within the industry and your looking for a DIY solution, it would be a good place to start.

Absolutely Jeff and will happily follow up on any suggestions they make.

• Like 2

Hi Everyone 

This is my first post on here so go easy :lol:

First off I will introduce myself my name is Elliott and I am the in house detailer for ValetPRO.

Most of our products are suitable for use on caravan's along with 2 dedicated caravan specific products caravan wash and shine https://www.valetpro.global/Additional-Products/Caravan/2054-/Caravan-Wash-and-Shine and luxury caravan wash https://www.valetpro.global/Additional-Products/Caravan/2045-/Luxury-Caravan-Wash

A brief overview of the 2 main products.

Luxury Caravan Wash

If you’re looking for a high quality product that’s easy to use and provides impressive cleaning power then our Luxury Caravan Wash won’t disappoint. Its luxurious foam will allow you to clean your caravan or motorhome with ease whilst you’re safe in the knowledge that its formulation is pH neutral and safe for use on paintwork, plastics, gel coats and fibreglass.

Caravan Wash and Shine

Formulated using waterless cleaning technology there’s no need to reel out the hose in order to clean and protect your caravan when using this product. Caravan Wash & Shine has been specially developed for ease of use and to save you time when cleaning and protecting your caravan or motorhome.

These 2 products will cover the washing side of your Caravan. 

Now to the protection part, especially this time of the year just washing your caravan can be a bit of a chore let alone protecting it, and if you want to add a layer of protection waxing something that size can be daunting, we haven a protection product that takes all this onto account and makes adding protection simple and rather enjoyable all you need is a jet-wash and a snow foam lance.

The product is call Snow Seal its applied to your Vehicle or Caravan via your snow foam lance and application takes a matter of minutes I will add a video link below. 

As always if theres any question feel free to drop me a message or comment below.

Many thanks 

Elliott 

• Like 1

Valet pro stuff is excellent; I use black to the future for the plastics on our Minis-the only thing other than Gtechniq c4 sealant that actually lasts any length of time and doesn't streak with the first rainfall; happily use their products.

• Like 2

Nice one Elliott! Like the idea of applying via a snow foam Lance as I have one of those 😃.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stagn8 said:

Nice one Elliott! Like the idea of applying via a snow foam Lance as I have one of those 😃.

No Problem also my go to in the winter no-one wants to be outside waxing for hours in the freezing cold 🙈

• Like 2

I don't go on our caravan roof although I know many that do! I use  a wide base  3 point ladder with foam padding onto the awning rail.  I find that with one foot on the ladder and my knee on the rail that I can easily reach just beyond the centre of the roof.  What I find difficult is reaching above the front windows because the A frame gets in the way of the ladder and there is no rail to lean to

• Like 1