2 hours ago, macafee2 said:

could be a big deal if it is your last Christmas :)

Ideed but there's no point in increasing the odds that it will be the last one for someone!

2 hours ago, Townie said:

The main problem will be the "we won't mix with anyone" brigade who will go out, have a few drinks and just have "one hug for Christmas" who will keep the spread of Covid going. 

I'm in the, "we won't mix with anyone" but we're also not so stupid as to then negate the benefit by acting as you suggest.

2 hours ago, Cheltenham Caravanner said:

The lockdown will be eased over Christmas.

This will be followed by a huge spike in new cases of Covid in mid January.

Whether the rules change or not, you can guarantee that there are enough covidiots out there who will do their own thing and cause a peak early in the new year. :angry:

• I agree completely 2

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think its a good idea to have a lock down over Christmas in the hope it does reduce the pandemic, and because I dislike Christmas. Given the choice I would far rather be in the van on a deserted CL

Our MH has not been used for a trip away since the NEC show last Februrary and sadly the way things currrently stand it's unlikely to be used in the forseeable future. We all need to take the current

Well looks like the majority of us agree lets stay in lockdown so covidididiots take note THIS MEANS YOU .   Martin

Posted Images

I wonder how many Covidiots have said 'it won't matter to bend the rules just this once' and then ended up in hospital with it, or worse, put someone else in hospital with it?

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Went to supermarket yesterday in car and the roads were extremely busy but last March/April there were hardly any cars on road, people have had enough and not bothering.

• I agree completely 2

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

People might be overly worried about supermarkets since you are unlikely to be near somebody for more than a second or so which might not be long enough to catch anything. If they were bad far more would be catching it since we all have to shop.

I have not been told what our Christmas will be but our daughter lives on her own so is in our bubble so I expect we will see her. She lives on the same street so easy enough but she is a high school teacher with over 1000 pupils so I have not seen much of her this year. Schools break up a week before 25th December so if she has caught something there is a chance it would be evident before the big day and she can then stay away. In the past we have always visited older relatives for the day  but that generation is no longer with us and I usually visit 2 brothers but that will be missed this time.

4 minutes ago, Paul1957 said:

People might be overly worried about supermarkets since you are unlikely to be near somebody for more than a second or so which might not be long enough to catch anything. If they were bad far more would be catching it since we all have to shop.

A far bigger issue in supermarkets is actually putting your hands on the trolley handle after someone else has been pushing it round for 20 minutes without either sanitizing their hands or wearing a mask!

If you want to be fussy, that's where to start.

• I agree completely 2

We are in our 70's and have kept ourselves isolated since March. We didnt step foot out of our house and garden until July and then just some local shopping once a week. We had 6 nights in the caravan on a fully serviced pitch in September and it was a needed change of scenery but we couldnt really enjoy the locality as we didnt want to take any risks. (no visits any where).

We have cancelled all sorts this year in France and UK but have a fully serviced pitch booked  after Christmas to bring in the New Year (or more importantly see out the old one). Apart from perhaps a couple of very short walks on Dartmoor, we will be isolated in the caravan.  We are so looking forward to it, but I feel unsure about the risk.

Ern

I would like to see some level of restrictions but they should be sensitive, to both preventing spread and also peoples needs to have some family interaction.

We've no plans to visit anybody and we won't have anybody visit us, nor will we break or even bend any rules over the festive period but we're fortunte as we have a nice little family unit of 4... hard for those that don't have that! Very hard.

Having said that, we will go away in the caravan and have a meal out if no restrictions prevent us from doing so. We'll be sensible but not to the point where we'll restrict ourselves way over and above the Government advice.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, joanie said:

this is a difficult one as on the one hand people like to celebrate Christmas with their family  and on the other hand there is the risk of spreading  the virus.  There is a greater possibility of a longer lock down after Christmas if we have the 5 day Christmas break that is being talked about. There is a greater chance of the infections increasing if we relax the rules.  For myself I don't think that the rules should be relaxed too much . We need to keep on top of things , the figures are just starting to drop, but not enough to relax the rules. To put it bluntly , if too many people get together, it will be like throwing Granny under the bus. 

Talk of a weeks  relaxation of some rules, to allow families to meet indoors.

Bars and restaurants should remain closed though, and they should extend the school Christmas holiday 

2 hours ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

Talk of a weeks  relaxation of some rules, to allow families to meet indoors.

Bars and restaurants should remain closed though, and they should extend the school Christmas holiday 

and while we are all talking of covid , another big killer is depression, caused by all the lock downs, it must be hard to get the balance right.  Then there is the companies that are going bust and of course all the jobs with it.  Brexit is still happening, all change January 1st.  We are really not in a good place, so perhaps some sort of mid winter celebration is needed, I don't know the answer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There seems to be an obsession with finding a way to "save" Christmas  (main stream media and the Government seeking popularity).

NHS staff are exhausted.  What is it a five day jolly versus a spike in cases and hospital admissions?  People can meet and exchange presents etc out of doors.  

As I get older I am struck by the ridiculous excesses of the Christmas period and the encouragement to go into debt.  It is a huge marketing enterprise and the economy seems to depend on it.  I was listening to a child on the radio the other day reading out their Christmas List, "I want this, and I want that", it went on forever.  It seems like a greedfest, gifts, decorations, lights, food and drink.  Spend, spend, spend.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 3
56 minutes ago, meadowsweet said:

As I get older I am struck by the ridiculous excesses of the Christmas period and the encouragement to go into debt.  It is a huge marketing enterprise and the economy seems to depend on it.  I was listening to a child on the radio the other day reading out their Christmas List, "I want this, and I want that", it went on forever.  It seems like a greedfest, gifts, decorations, lights, food and drink.  Spend, spend, spend.

That just about sums up most people's Christmas  - how sad !

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

If allowed we'll go away in the van for chrismas and New year,  just me the wife and dog, no going out for meals or pubs if open, I'll get as much surfing and walking in as possible,  if not we'll be on our own at home,  not risking meeting up with family.

9 hours ago, DACS said:

We are both in our 70s and have not seen our family since February.  We have also not been in a supermarket.

Since there is now a good prospect of a vaccine becoming available, I would rather continue to stay safe until then.  It would be ridiculous to have avoided it this long and then to succumb to the disease when the end is in sight.

I don't think its in sight yet, I was listening to a podcast with an expert the other day saying " its not the beginning of the end,  its the end of the beginning "  

Well looks like the majority of us agree lets stay in lockdown so covidididiots take note THIS MEANS YOU .

Martin

• Haha 1
  • I do not understand 2
  • Sad 1
  • I disagree 2
  • I agree completely 2

I would prefer lockdown personally.  Afterall, what are we talking about, one Christmas day out of how many more in the future.  Hopefully, the vaccines that are coming in will (hopefully) stop the virus.  All I want to do is see my mum, who I've not seen since last March, and she will be 94 in January.  If I said I would go and see her, no matter what, what would you all think?  Correct, irresponsible.  I would forego Christmas just to see my mum next year.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Babstreefern said:

I would prefer lockdown personally.  Afterall, what are we talking about, one Christmas day out of how many more in the future.  Hopefully, the vaccines that are coming in will (hopefully) stop the virus.  All I want to do is see my mum, who I've not seen since last March, and she will be 94 in January.  If I said I would go and see her, no matter what, what would you all think?  Correct, irresponsible.  I would forego Christmas just to see my mum next year.

Some people might think so however I do not so long as you both wear masks - maintain recommended distance away from one another and no phyical contact. That is my opinion though.

• I do not understand 1
  • I disagree 1
  • I agree completely 2
10 hours ago, guinness said:

Well looks like the majority of us agree lets stay in lockdown so covidididiots take note THIS MEANS YOU .

Martin

Like all the covididiots will be reading a caravan forum :lol: unless you mean the members on this thread who disagree with you 🙄

12 hours ago, SilverSurfer said:

the other day saying " its not the beginning of the end,  its the end of the beginning "  

Now, where've I heard that phrase before?

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

20 hours ago, joanie said:

it is a small minority of small minded people who are making it bad for the rest of us. Since March  we have had  about 10 weeks out of lock down, in that time we did go out in the van 3 times but kept close to home in case we were ill and had to get home fast.   I do find it near impossible to keep away from folk in supermarkets, but other than that I do my very best to keep to the rules  so why can't these  covidiots do the same.

can you shop on line?

macafee2

I don't shop on line, my son gets me the odd bits I want on line, however he did try all ways to get me a slot in March, to no avail.  I have always kept a good food cupboard so that would always keep us going until he could come up to us if we really couldn't go out.  Of course  "the best laid schemes o' mice and men......"    and covid 19 put paid to all that

Joanie,  we do click and collect, started it when we first managed to get a slot for it in the first lockdown as I was shielding, and have continued with it ever since. I do the click, he does the collect.

Click and collect slots (sainsburys)are readily available now,  if that’s any help to you. 

I think once the first panic buying, in the first lockdown, had eased, delivery and click & collect have pretty much returned to normal.

• Thanks 1

C&C is actually no more risky than a delivery to your door in my experience.  My Tesco has a van in a remote part of the car park and there's no need to go near the assistant who brings your order to the car.  The local Asda is even better because it now has a dedicated undercover area and if you have the phone app, you send a message that you're on your way and when you arrive the staff know, and often my stuff has been ready and waiting to collect.  

The only issue I have with Tesco is that there haven't been enough Christmas slots to go round, almost all were taken up by delivery pass holders (no new subscribers were accepted after lockdown 1.0).  I can't get one after 16nd December, but I have managed to get an Asda C&C slot on 22nd. 

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Maybe those in charge will finally stop playing political games, and work together to minimise public confusion so we can all tackle this pandemic from a united front.

"The Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, the First Minister of Scotland, the First Minister of Wales, and the First and Deputy First Ministers of Northern Ireland held a further discussion yesterday on shared arrangements for the festive period."

See below

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-government-and-devolved-administrations-meeting-21-november-2020?utm_source=7ea0de2d-b583-4d36-bbd2-aba8277d0573&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=govuk-notifications&utm_content=daily

A researcher will reason, while the ignorant argue.

Not forgetting the added complication for the Northern Ireland Assembly of also having to reach agreement on restrictions with the Irish Government for those whose families require cross border travel.

Since the first initial panic was over my local ASDA has had a very short fully booked C & C list .. currently there are slots available from tomorrow ..... though again, fully booked from Dec 20 .. just keeping an eye on how it progresses,

Very little greater risk than Delivery ..

Edited by Disco Kid

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .