8 minutes ago, Stevan said:

Not to mention Bentley! Anyone here tow with a Bentayga?

To my eyes one of the ugliest cars on the market today.  And there is strong competition in that sector.   

2 minutes ago, fred said:

To my eyes one of the ugliest cars on the market today.  And there is strong competition in that sector.   

Yes indeed, and in my book the BMW X6 is VERY near the top of the “Ugly as sin” chart! 

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

18 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Yes indeed, and in my book the BMW X6 is VERY near the top of the “Ugly as sin” chart! 

They have a problem, the simple clean lines that look good do not shout "loadsamoney"! A catch 22 situation that I am happy to avoid.

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

59 minutes ago, Stevan said:

They have a problem, the simple clean lines that look good do not shout "loadsamoney"! A catch 22 situation that I am happy to avoid.

Well I like them:D

BMW X6 M50D + Buccaneer Schooner 2017

I've had 8 Volvos. Wouldn't change out of choice. All of them totally reliable. Freelander in a skirt? No! 

• Like 1

In thirty five years of caravanning I've had a couple of Vauxhalls, a few Fords, 3 VWs and 4 Volvos. All very capable towcars. Some slightly better than others.

When I retired in 2018 I looked at a few for what will, probably be my last towcar. The ones I considered seriously and tested were: Jaguar F-pace, BMW  X3, Mercedes GLC, Volvo XC60 and the Kodiaq. 

In terms of overall comfort, controls, ride, interior and paintwork colour choices and toys it was the XC60 for me.

I thought the Kodiaq was the least impressive.

• I agree completely 1

Volvo XC60 Momentum Pro D4 pulling an Elddis Crusader Mistral

18 hours ago, Idleness said:

VW are driven by those whose sense and money are equal

Skoda are driven by those with more sense than money

Audi are driven by those with more money than sense

16 hours ago, Jezzerb said:

So nicely put. Porsche and Lamborghini need popping in there too. 

I wish I had more money than sense :D. Unfortunately I don't so my hard earned is judiciously spent. My Cayenne is the perfect vehicle for me. As a tug it's brilliant and hauls our 2 tonne caravan with ease and very safely. But the majority of the time it isn't dragging that weight behind it and it and of all vehicles with similar towing capacity this is the most car like and fun to drive.

If I had the money I might be tempted by a DBX :)

• Like 1

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

1 hour ago, Jimd said:

In thirty five years of caravanning I've had a couple of Vauxhalls, a few Fords, 3 VWs and 4 Volvos. All very capable towcars. Some slightly better than others.

When I retired in 2018 I looked at a few for what will, probably be my last towcar. The ones I considered seriously and tested were: Jaguar F-pace, BMW  X3, Mercedes GLC, Volvo XC60 and the Kodiaq. 

In terms of overall comfort, controls, ride, interior and paintwork colour choices and toys it was the XC60 for me.

I thought the Kodiaq was the least impressive.

The Kodiaq should be compared to cars in its class. Volvos, Mercs, Jags and BMWs are definitely not so its no wonder it was deemed the least impressive.

• I agree completely 2

2018 Octavia vRS 245 TSI Estate & 2016 Adria Altea 552 DT Tamar

1 hour ago, swirly182 said:

The Kodiaq should be compared to cars in its class. Volvos, Mercs, Jags and BMWs are definitely not so its no wonder it was deemed the least impressive.

Yep,

If you're looking at F-Pace, X3 and GLC then you should be looking at Audi and at a push VW. Don't expect Skoda interiors to match the perceived quality of premium brands.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

Yeti 2.0TDi DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Citigo ASG, Swift Challenger.

I have never owned an XC60 BUT for the last 18 months I have owned and towed with a V90 with the D4 engine and the Aisin automatic gearbox.  The engine pulls our twin axle Sprite Quattro with a factory MTPLM of 1624kgs very well, I always have the gearbox in Eco mode and it is always in the right gear whether towing or solo.  Fuel economy-wise I get 28 to 29mpg towing and a solo average of low to mid 50's, but on a motorway run sitting at 65mph solo it is in the low 60's.

Overall, very impressed with the Volvo and every bit as good as the BMW 520D that it replaced.

• Like 1

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

39 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

… … Fuel economy-wise I get 28 to 29mpg towing and a solo average of low to mid 50's, but on a motorway run sitting at 65mph solo it is in the low 60's … …

Gary, compared to my XC60, these seem very good numbers … I assume they are the digital dashboard ones … but what are your actual consumption figures?

John

3 minutes ago, Johnaldo said:

Gary, compared to my XC60, these seem very good numbers … I assume they are the digital dashboard ones … but what are your actual consumption figures?

John

Yes they're the ones on the display, I have never worked out the real consumption figures as I've never had the inclination/need to do it but I am using less fuel than the BMW I had before based on what I spend on fuel per month.  The only real moan I have is that the fuel tank on mine isn't as big as the BMW.

• Like 1

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

We looked at and tried a Volvo xc70 and an xc 60. The 70 was an ex  Volvo management car loaded with extras, 240 hp auto. Very nice but didn't  say buy me!

In the end we got a really good deal on our Santa Fe, brand new, to replace a 4 year old Sorrento. 

• Like 2

Hyundai Santa Fe+Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

Mini Cooper convertible -fun Car!:)

8 hours ago, swirly182 said:

I may be mistaken but wasn't the original poster comparing a Kodiaq and a Volvo

• Like 2
  • I agree completely 1

Volvo XC60 Momentum Pro D4 pulling an Elddis Crusader Mistral

On 22/11/2020 at 15:47, logiclee said:

Audi from A4 up are different though as they use MLB platforms that VW/Skoda/Seat do not use.

VW do use the MLB and MLB Evo platforms. Skoda don't use it as they don't, or are not allowed to build a vehicle which needs it. I used to run parts for VW Audi group for a couple of years and the parts depot was full of .... Skodas. No quibble there that Skoda were considered the best marque in the group. 

That said, of the original options I would go for the Volvo, I don't know what it is but I don't like the Kodiaq. It's a totally unqualified opinion and as which is of no use to the OP whatsoever, for which I humbly apologise.

Edited by PMW

Mercedes E350 CDi AMG Cabriolet, Lunar Freelander 640EW Twin Axle @1700kg

********* Naughty Step Aficionado And Grand Collector Of Naughty Points *********

Some cars just do that to you don't they. Am same with the Renault Twingo thing. 

22 hours ago, PMW said:

VW do use the MLB and MLB Evo platforms. Skoda don't use it as they don't, or are not allowed to build a vehicle which needs it. I used to run parts for VW Audi group for a couple of years and the parts depot was full of .... Skodas. No quibble there that Skoda were considered the best marque in the group. 

That said, of the original options I would go for the Volvo, I don't know what it is but I don't like the Kodiaq. It's a totally unqualified opinion and as which is of no use to the OP whatsoever, for which I humbly apologise.

I forgot about the Touareg. :)  And the Chinese saloon.

Hi , never had Skoda but have 2.4 D5 Volvo XC60. All I can say is without doubt best tow car I have owned . Tows1680 kg van  with ease . Choice down to personal preference and cost as toys for Volvo not cheap.

Some good reviews about the new Octavia interior.  Equal to Audi maybe pushing it but certainly a step above Seat.

On 22/11/2020 at 08:07, Jezzerb said:

Perceived quality may be better on Audi but every reliability study puts Skoda head and shoulders above the rest of theVAG  group.

That's because all Audi have faulty indicators. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Ironeddie said:

That's because all Audi have faulty indicators. 

It’s not that they are faulty.   It is just they are rarely selected from the options list.  

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, fred said:

It’s not that they are faulty.   It is just they are rarely selected from the options list.  

Aren't they part of a "visibility pack" which also includes a rear view mirror. To me the Kodiaq and XC60 are very different cars and not really competitors. The Skoda is longer, lighter, cheaper and has seven seats in most versions.It's usually compared to the Sorento and Santa fe. Had a look at the local dealer a while back.Quite fancy something a bit bigger than our Korando, with more boot space /seven seats and had heard of good PCP deals. Sat down with a salesman and by the time we'd built an imaginary car, I'd lost the will to live and the price was somewhat higher than I'd anticipated. Looked nice enough though. If 

14 hours ago, logiclee said:

Some good reviews about the new Octavia interior.  Equal to Audi maybe pushing it but certainly a step above Seat.

I had a look around one before the lockdown, and they are really nice, well finished and the digital cockpit dash I really like.

But, I have the same problem with the new one as I had with my 2012 model, and that is my right leg is stuck up against the door handle. I drive with my right leg over to the right for some reason which I cant change. 

If it wasn't for this I would have another tomorrow.

Edited by ian16527
2 hours ago, ian16527 said:

I had a look around one before the lockdown, and they are really nice, well finished and the digital cockpit dash I really like.

But, I have the same problem with the new one as I had with my 2012 model, and that is my right leg is stuck up against the door handle. I drive with my right leg over to the right for some reason which I cant change. 

If it wasn't for this I would have another tomorrow.

I've had a Mk1, Mk2 and Mk3.  Found the ride a bit crashy in the Mk3 but it was a lower model with torsion beam suspension.  May have a look at the Mk4 when they have a decent (Non VRS) PHEV option as it will suite my commute. 

Edited by logiclee