I’m torn between a Kodiaq and a XC60 as our next tow car. I will be towing 1500kg. Has anybody moved from one to the other and can provide me with any feedback please?

No personal experience but I would imagine both would make very good tugs. 

Go for the one you like the most. Just be sure to check out where in the Rev range they produce their highest torque figure (and if the numbers are comparable) , you want the highest figure and for it to be fairly low down for towing.

Well I would! 

• I do not understand 1
  • Sad 1

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

We are on our 2nd XC60 and are brilliant both towing and solo. Did test drive the Kodiak and also drove a mate’s one. Whilst it’s a nice car, personally felt the quality you feel in the Volvo just wasn’t there.

You do get a lot of car for your money and am sure it would make a capable reliable tug.

enjoy what ever you choose but the XC60 gets my vote

2018 Volvo XC60  D4 AWD + Penshurst Premier Plus (AKA Elddis Affinity 550)

Skoda are admitted by the rest of VAG as the best quality build of them all - including Audi! They had a point to prove and managed to do it.

Conversely Volvo are famed for the quality of their seats but some people don't like the firmer ride. Also note they are now only available as electric or hybrid.

Don't overlook the Kia Sorento or Hyundai Tuscon which are essentially the same vehicle. 

A good place to look is http://www.honestjohn.co.uk - the Saturday Telegraph motoring writer.

Edited by Woodentop
  • Like 1

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

Brother has one of the First 1.4tsi 4x4 Kody's to come to this country. Beautifully made superb car that remains faultless at over3years and 30kmiles. Parts and servicing are far less than vw or Audi too! Go look at what Skoda offer, ice scraper in the petrol cap torch in the boot light, door buffers, that pop out, ticket holder, umbrellas in doors, and you realise they care about what drivers need. Would have one tomorrow.

Oh and the factory fit drop down towbar is a brilliant design imo but pricey.

Edited by Jezzerb

Worth looking at the underpinnings of each too. XC60 used to be a freelander  in a skirt, Some of the other smaller Volvos are rebodied Fords. Would put me off due to their association with Peugeot. 
Skoda true to its roots, not that I’d ever consider anything VAG after our Tiguan.
Sorento or Sante Fe would’ve been my choice. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Tuningdrew said:

Worth looking at the underpinnings of each too. XC60 used to be a freelander  in a skirt, Some of the other smaller Volvos are rebodied Fords. Would put me off due to their association with Peugeot. 
Skoda true to its roots, not that I’d ever consider anything VAG after our Tiguan.
Sorento or Sante Fe would’ve been my choice. 

New Volvo’s have absolutely zero to do with LR or Ford. They are owned by Geely and have introduced a completely new platform.

I also disagree with the claim that the quality of Skoda is equal to or better than Audi.

Yes they owned in the same group and operate similar running gear but there is nothing similar with regards to interior quality, both perceived and real. That’s not to say Skoda’s are not decent, but they are not on a par with Audi. I’d say they are equal to VW and above SEAT within the group.

Edited by Bodster
  • I disagree 1
  • I agree completely 2

In terms of ride firmness too soft - comfortable solo, not towing (Merc GLC) too firm - uncomfortable (solo) comfortable towing (VW Tiguan) Volvo XC60 fits exactly between the two for me anyway.

6 hours ago, handyandy said:

Thanks all for the reply’s. 

I think we are now swaying to the Volvo but there’s not much between them. 

I've driven both the XC60 has a ride that suits me, I found the Kodiak felt cheap and wallowed if pushed.

4 hours ago, Bodster said:

New Volvo’s have absolutely zero to do with LR or Ford. They are owned by Geely and have introduced a completely new platform.

I also disagree with the claim that the quality of Skoda is equal to or better than Audi.

Yes they owned in the same group and operate similar running gear but there is nothing similar with regards to interior quality, both perceived and real. That’s not to say Skoda’s are not decent, but they are not on a par with Audi. I’d say they are equal to VW and above SEAT within the group.

I'd put Skoda below both seat and  vw.

Audi beats them all, that's why you pay more.

Edited by xtrailman
  • I agree completely 1
15 hours ago, Bodster said:

That’s good to know. Fortunately I’m now out of the general motor trade at last. Who is supplying engines/ gearboxes now?

Edited by Tuningdrew
Auto correct typo correction!

Perceived quality may be better on Audi but every reliability study puts Skoda head and shoulders above the rest of theVAG  group.

• I agree completely 2
13 minutes ago, Jezzerb said:

Perceived quality may be better on Audi but every reliability study puts Skoda head and shoulders above the rest of theVAG  group.

And above a fair few other so called “Premium” brands. 

A good benchmark is look and see see how many taxis are Skoda’s !! 

• Like 1

As they are all built from the same parts bin.  I can’t see any real difference in  Build quality of VAG cars.  It’s just how much of a premium you are willing to pay for a badge.   I have a 2017 Skoda Superb as a company car it has got almost 80k on it and I can’t think it has a single fault.   The near side mirror creaks a bit when it folds but it has done that from new.   Previously had 2 Passat’s no real problems split washer reservoir after 200 miles.   For balance I did have a  2001 octavia.   It had coil pack problem, needed a new master brake cylinder wiper motor, exhaust and kept flattening the battery.   Objectively it was not a reliable car, subjectively I loved that car.  

• Like 1
On 20/11/2020 at 20:29, Woodentop said:

Skoda are admitted by the rest of VAG as the best quality build of them all - including Audi! They had a point to prove and managed to do it.

Conversely Volvo are famed for the quality of their seats but some people don't like the firmer ride. Also note they are now only available as electric or hybrid.

Don't overlook the Kia Sorento or Hyundai Tuscon which are essentially the same vehicle. 

A good place to look is http://www.honestjohn.co.uk - the Saturday Telegraph motoring writer.

I thought the Kia Sportage is the same base vehicle as Hyundai Tuscon, and Sorrento same as SantaFe?. 

Edited by Ern
  • Like 1
  • I agree completely 3

Ern

16 minutes ago, Ern said:

I thought the Kia Sportage is the same base vehicle as Hyundai Tuscon, and Sorrento same as SantaFe?. 

Same platform but they always get different reviews.

Not tried the two, but both are good tow cars and should have no problem towing that weight. The towed mileage is generally very small compared with the other use, so what you need to do is see which car is the one that suits you and your lifestyle best as you have to live with it on a daily basis. 

• I agree completely 1
5 hours ago, fred said:

As they are all built from the same parts bin.  I can’t see any real difference in  Build quality of VAG cars.  It’s just how much of a premium you are willing to pay for a badge.   

It's complex. The Vag empire has numerous assembly and manufacturing plants.

Some Skoda's are built in VW plants.

Skoda's engine and transmission facility builds most small petrols and DQ200 DSG's so buy Audi A3 1.2 TSi DSG and the engine and gearbox will, almst certainly, have been built by Skoda.

Buy a Skoda Octavia 2.0TDi DSG and the engine and gearbox will have been built in Germany.

And the same goes for many other major components especially on the MQB models, suspension, steering, electronics etc.

The only thing that separates the brands is the styling, space, tuning of the suspension, and interior materials.   Audi from A4 up are different though as they use MLB platforms that VW/Skoda/Seat do not use.

A few years ago Skoda had their wings clipped as the interior quality was starting to exceed VW, the Superb vs Passat being the strongest example. Newer models tend to be a little more plasticy than their VW equivalent but you usually get more kit and more space. 

• Like 1
  • I disagree 1

Yeti 2.0TDi DSG 4X4 L&K, Octavia TSi Manual, Citigo ASG, Swift Challenger.

21 hours ago, xtrailman said:

I've driven both the XC60 has a ride that suits me, I found the Kodiak felt cheap and wallowed if pushed.

I'd put Skoda below both seat and  vw.

Audi beats them all, that's why you pay more.

VW are driven by those whose sense and money are equal

Skoda are driven by those with more sense than money

Audi are driven by those with more money than sense

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

So nicely put. Porsche and Lamborghini need popping in there too. 

15 minutes ago, Jezzerb said:

Not to mention Bentley! Anyone here tow with a Bentayga?

20 minutes ago, Jezzerb said:

And Seat

I have to admit I first heard it from my daughter .

7 minutes ago, Stevan said:

Not to mention Bentley! Anyone here tow with a Bentayga?

If only :rolleyes:

Mind you if I could afford one I would be staying in five star hotels not a wet and windy camp site!