I need a new drill for the caravan steadies.

3 minutes ago, prando said:

Not wishing to extend the thread...but 😉

But it's normal drill to extend the thread..........but how much more can we stand? (That would be a drill stand!). At least put a new twist (drill!) on it.

Groan. Look what you've got me doing now: I cant stop  LOL.

• Haha 1

3L auto Nissan Terrano, 2004 & Swift Elegance 530, 2018. As Leonardo da Vinci once said: 'If you find from your own experience that something is a fact & it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority & base your reasoning on your own findings' ie: use your common sense!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No sorry. Out of chatter comes entertainment and the occasional gem of information so this thread is serving two useful purposes, besides, you don't have to read it.

The OP Paul, has had a lot of helpful informed replies , so should be able to make an informed choice to what to buy.....thats all I am saying....How many more years do you want this this thread to co

It’s not about saving minutes for me, arthritis in my elbows, shoulders, back and legs prevents me from bending over for any length of time, also I cannot hold and turn the manual brace.   W

Posted Images

Seeing as I started this thread I hope it will still be going on Sunday when I collect my new drill from Lidl!

Sorry to be boring, but that seems the drill!

• Haha 1

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

I dont think its boring and that's why it shouldnt be chucked yet.

• Haha 1
  • I agree completely 1

Ern

51 minutes ago, prando said:

Oh heaven forbid you should even think it.:P

I have just returned from the hallowed halls of Aldi. Hey !! Guess what I bought??

Well, you guessed wrongly HA!

Before I show you the item my reasons are

a. Its small so easy to stow.

b. Saves weight.

c. £12

I shall have a practise with it tomorrow (Which means at least one more posting so get over it) and let you know my assessment of it.

So, okay, there is no ability for torque settings but I reckon that with practise ..............................

1536856457_FerrexscrewdriverGIMP.JPG.b6a9d1c136777b3e8d5df3ca5dcc14d3.JPG

Edited by BOAC

I am having an up-to-date motorised moved fitted but was told that it I needed to, you can put it into manual mode

I just thought getting Petal to use the screwdriver is going to take some lengthy tuition periods. :(

3 minutes ago, YorkshireLhasa said:

I am having an up-to-date motorised moved fitted but was told that it I needed to, you can put it into manual mode

Thanks for that. You lost me though. Can you reword it please :blink:

Edited by BOAC

So sorry, BOAC!!! LOL!  Still learning the in's and out's of posting in this Forum.  I had intended to quote a previous posting (from about page 1) asking if an electronic motor mover could be put into manual mode ..... Not sure how it pulled your posting up.  

I definitely should have got a coffee ..... 😜

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, prando said:

Just noticed in Caravan Club Mag arrived this week, a purpose made wrench for ‘stabiliser legs’. Applies the right tension. 50% discount for December at £63.....

Fool and his money??

Basically £63 for what the caravan comes with! Not yet had my magazine so unable to see exactly what it is.

• Like 1
  • I disagree 1

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

2 minutes ago, YorkshireLhasa said:

So sorry, BOAC!!! LOL!  Still learning the in's and out's of posting in this Forum.  I had intended to quote a previous posting (from about page 1) asking if an electronic motor mover could be put into manual mode ..... Not sure how it pulled your posting up.  

I definitely should have got a coffee ..... 😜

Ah. Okay thanks - but forget the coffee and go for a G & T  :D

If you want to reply to a certain post click the quote button under the post then type your reply in the seperate section underneath.

And don't forget to keep to topic :D

So I will, you now know the drill.

6 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Fool and his money??

Basically £63 for what the caravan comes with!

Does seem to be a tad expensive comparing an Aldi or LidI drill prices though.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, YorkshireLhasa said:

If you are talking powertouch, the answer is yes, and no!

There is a manual way of engaging and releasing but you would not want to do it other than in an emergency.

It entails a long Allen key, awkwardly placed and lots of turns. Fine for disengaging if it sticks, or your battery fails, but that's about it.

4 minutes ago, Stevan said:

If you are talking powertouch, the answer is yes, and no!

There is a manual way of engaging and releasing but you would not want to do it other than in an emergency.

It entails a long Allen key, awkwardly placed and lots of turns. Fine for disengaging if it sticks, or your battery fails, but that's about it.

Yes, that was the comment the dealer made!  I think his exact words were .... "You can go to manual but only if you are off your rocker".  I am much happier holding a remote control and pressing a couple of keys to both move and level my caravan!

7 minutes ago, YorkshireLhasa said:

Yes, that was the comment the dealer made!  I think his exact words were .... "You can go to manual but only if you are off your rocker".  I am much happier holding a remote control and pressing a couple of keys to both move and level my caravan!

Yes, but it's nice to know that if it does stick, or your battery fails you can still disengage it to get moving.

22 hours ago, BOAC said:

Oh heaven forbid you should even think it.:P

I have just returned from the hallowed halls of Aldi. Hey !! Guess what I bought??

Well, you guessed wrongly HA!

Before I show you the item my reasons are

a. Its small so easy to stow.

b. Saves weight.

c. £12

I shall have a practise with it tomorrow (Which means at least one more posting so get over it) and let you know my assessment of it.

So, okay, there is no ability for torque settings but I reckon that with practise ..............................

1536856457_FerrexscrewdriverGIMP.JPG.b6a9d1c136777b3e8d5df3ca5dcc14d3.JPG

You can see my assessment HERE in the form of an ad hoc video.

Is this going to be the last post in this thread I ask myself?  :D

53 minutes ago, BOAC said:

You can see my assessment HERE in the form of an ad hoc video.

Is this going to be the last post in this thread I ask myself?  :D

Do you have a bugle or a cavalry trumpet?

Sam :beardy:   RR Sport HSE Dynamic towing Swift Elegance Grande 845

12 minutes ago, SamD said:

Do you have a bugle or a cavalry trumpet?

Can't say I do - why - have you?

On 25/11/2020 at 17:30, Mr Plodd said:

… … Not yet had my magazine so unable to see exactly what it is.

Here you go … https://thermopooluk.com/cordless-caravan-stabilizer-leg-wrench/

I love the “fits all caravans” claim 🙂.

John

11 minutes ago, Johnaldo said:

Here you go … https://thermopooluk.com/cordless-caravan-stabilizer-leg-wrench/

I love the “fits all caravans” claim 🙂.

John

Cheers. Looks a bit of overkill to me at 300Nm and that coupled with the size makes it a no no for me.

On 19/11/2020 at 12:06, daveat92 said:

Parkside Tools are available online from eBay and others. You don't have to wait for Aldi/Lidl to get them in.

Lidl have them in from today

On 27/11/2020 at 20:07, BOAC said:

Cheers. Looks a bit of overkill to me at 300Nm and that coupled with the size makes it a no no for me.

The 300Nm is a result of the impact function. Momentary bursts of 300Nm. Its motor and gearbox will not put out anything like that if there is an "impact off" setting.

The good news is that impact drivers can loosen/tighten stiff nuts/bolts and at the same time reduce the perceived reaction felt by the user.

However, I personally would not use an impact driver for winding steadies because a: The noise. b: Repeated shock loads to the steady thread gear and most importantly c: Impact drivers by their nature allow the user to apply high force with little perceived effort. I want to feel every bit of the resistance of the leg as it touches down to judge the load on it. 

Edited by Ukzero
  • I agree completely 1