I need a new drill for the caravan steadies.

I have an Einhell one from Range,18v and decent warranty, I have had it a few years now, no problems with it. The battery lasts well. It has a neat plastic case and lives in the van.

Hyundai Santa Fe+Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

Mini Cooper convertible -fun Car!:)

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No sorry. Out of chatter comes entertainment and the occasional gem of information so this thread is serving two useful purposes, besides, you don't have to read it.

The OP Paul, has had a lot of helpful informed replies , so should be able to make an informed choice to what to buy.....thats all I am saying....How many more years do you want this this thread to co

It’s not about saving minutes for me, arthritis in my elbows, shoulders, back and legs prevents me from bending over for any length of time, also I cannot hold and turn the manual brace.   W

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Ironeddie said:

The two batteries on my Bosch seem to be done now. Not bad, it's lasted 15 years of heavy use. 

You'd reccomend Ryobi then? 

I like my Ryobi enormously and it certainly meets my DIY and steady winding needs but I would hesitate to personally recommend it.  I have not had it long enough to be objective about it or the battery longevity yet.

The only comparison I have is the old Homebase drill and an unbranded 12v one that is positively ancient.

2 hours ago, PR1 said:

Well after 10 years my recharchable battery drill for winding our caravan steadies up is rapidly failing!

I thought I would ask Father Christmas for a new one! 
Not too expensive. Last one came fro Aldi or Lidl.

Any suggestions please.

Not too expensive as we are poor pensioners.

Thanks

Paul

You aren't exactly using it for heavy duties. If your last one was a Lidl/Aldi jobbie and lasted 10 years, the same again should work.

Last year I bought an 18 Volt Li-On Battery operated drill complete with 2 batteries and accessories from Robert Dyas and useit for everything including winding down/up the caravan steadies. Here is the link :-

https://www.robertdyas.co.uk/pro-craft-18v-li-ion-cordless-drill-driver-with-13-piece-accessory-kit-and-2-batteries-blue-black?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkZb02u6M7QIVCLp3Ch1r9wBJEAQYCSABEgLtt_D_BwE

We bought it with a £5 voucher that they had on one of their leaflets if you spend over £25 -  we were in our local Robert Dyas on Tuesday and they had them and the leaflets with the voucher. So you only pay £29.99 which is not bad.

Excellent drill that holds its charge well, compact and as good as a more expensive one I have which has a larger chuck.

Alan

• Like 1

After more than 35 years caravanning changed to motorhome for 5 years and loved it but now back in the fold of caravanning but still miss our motorhome.

Kia Sorento KX3 Auto - sold our 2018 Coachman VIP and now await our 2021 Coachman Laser Xcel 575 Special Edition

1 hour ago, daveat92 said:

a) Only if you are silly and continue to wind beyond the point where it's obvious the steady is up/down, and have the wrist strength to hold the drill from twisting!

Just set a low enough torque setting on the drill so that it slips when the steady contacts the ground, then nip them up by hand with the winder, or the drill, if the chuck locks when the trigger is off.

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Ironeddie said:

The two batteries on my Bosch seem to be done now. Not bad, it's lasted 15 years of heavy use. 

You'd reccomend Ryobi then? 

I’ve had my Ryobi for 8 years, great bit of kit for DIY., better than the Bosch I also have.

• Thanks 1

One tip, whatever you buy, if it's only going to be used for steady winding, is to go for a model with one battery not two, the extra expense is pointless for such occasional use.

I've had a Liddle, Alde do similar, and both guaranteed for three years,  one down at the van for about four years, it's still going strong and has quite a lot of use down there on little jobs, grandchildren projects and the knock on the awning door with the question " Could I borrow your drill for a moment " ?

At home I have a couple of Bosch, a couple of Ryobi which have been going for many years and a small Hitachi impact driver, spares for these are all easily obtainable which is one of my buying points, but would be way over the top for what you need.

Just as with any battery, if you don't use it for prolonged periods, such as winter, pop it on charge once a month, similar in summer to keep it in peak health.

Once you've got one, you may find yourself nipping into the van for it to do ' that little job indoors ' now and then.😉

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

If the old one is branded Parkside I'd recommend you buy another from Lidl, who sell Parkside tools.  All their current drill drivers come with lithium cells.   Cheap as chips but pretty well made.  The 'other' marque from Aldi felt less well made to me.  YMMV ;) 

My go to unit is a small lightweight 12V one PABS12A1 which is circa 7.5 years old and still going strong on the original battery that lasts ages.  Used for all sorts around the house including wall fixings into softer brick and block and the caravan steadies.  I also have a hammer drill-driver and impact driver from their higher voltage ranges to do things that the baby driver cannot.  Biggest problem is they are only available when diy offers are released, whereas places like Toolstation, B&Q and Screwfix have tools at all times.

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

14.4 volt Lidl special for my leg winder, less than 20 quid 3 years ago, still going strong, I do only use it for the caravan legs as its not a great drill for anything else. 

Danny 

• Like 1

Whichever drill you buy, be aware that one factor often overlooked by potential buyers is runtime from a single charge.

Most special deals on branded drills in places like Screwfix and Toolstation keep the prices down by including low runtime batteries.

Good high capacity batteries are expensive (ask any extended range Tesla owner) and this often explains some of the huge differences in price of drills that can look quite similar at first glance.

A 1.5Ah battery will literally keep running half as long as a 3.0Ah battery before it needs charging. 3.0Ah means 3 Amp hours, so 1 Amp for 3 hours (1X3) or 3 Amps for one hour (3X1) or any other combination to equal 3.

My commercial quality drill did cost nearly £300, but came with 2 x 6Ah batteries (many special deal kits have 2 x 1.5Ah - so a quarter of the capacity). My drill also has huge torque and will happily run all day every day. You get what you pay for.

However; clearly not everyone will want or need to spend that kind of money, but I would always advise buying a drill with two batteries.

Why? Because you use one battery until it's completely flat then swap it for a fully charged one without having to wait. You always have a fully charged battery available and you always run both batteries through full charge/discharge cycles.

Lithium Ion batteries are much better than NiMh and infinitely better than NiCd batteries for the dreaded memory effect, but real life experience has taught me that even top branded Lithium Ion batteries have a significantly longer service life if allowed to go through full charge/discharge cycles whatever manufacturers may claim.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

I’d echo the comments about Li-ion batteries, the technology seems much better. I bought an Einhell with two batteries from Toolstation, under £60. Mostly steady winding duties, some drilling/screwdriving. I also used it, with a lambs wool bonnet, on some rather persistent black streaks when we got our present caravan; the charge on one battery lasted for ages.

I did take my DeWalt around Europe for a few years but the case is a little on the large side. I bought a Moss 18v off Ebay for about £20 , had to buy second battery separately, and it's been great. Small, plenty of power, small case that fits in the cupboard under the sink, charge lasts for a long time. 

Landrover Freelander 2 towing a Bailey Pegasus IV verona

Well just been to Lidl, and picked up their store leaflet!

Battery drills are in on 29th November!

So that is what I shall buy!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • I agree completely 1

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

And of course their stuff comes with 2 (sometimes 3) year warranty! 

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

My current one is Aldi,two speed,lithium,three years old,perfect for steadies and DIY,£24.00. 

I have three perfectly good drills where the batteries failed after few years,,replacements are either non available or almost as expensive as the original drills.

it seems a crime to take them to recycling but what else can I do with them?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Pheasant said:

I have three perfectly good drills where the batteries failed after few years,,replacements are either non available or almost as expensive as the original drills.

it seems a crime to take them to recycling but what else can I do with them?

I hate the enforced throwaway culture created by manufacturers refusing to provide replacement batteries at sensible prices. I recently had to dispose of a perfectly good Flymo strimmer because the replacement battery cost was as much as a whole new item, which of course was not backwards compatible. Expressed my dissatisfaction by changing to a Worx which at least offers a whole range of tools using interchangeable batteries. Have to say the tools are very good too.

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

When it comes to power tools, especially battery powered ones then go top end for tools that are going to take a lot of hammer or cheap as chips otherwise. There is little to be gained by buying anything in between. 

• I agree completely 1

Mercedes E350 CDi AMG Cabriolet, Lunar Freelander 640EW Twin Axle @1700kg

********* Naughty Step Aficionado And Grand Collector Of Naughty Points *********

I have saved £££s not getting a drill for the steadies.  I use the manual type, which you turn round and round.  No battery recharging necessary.  Just muscle work:D.  At the end of the day, how many minutes are you really saving?

• I do not understand 1
  • I disagree 2
38 minutes ago, Babstreefern said:

I have saved £££s not getting a drill for the steadies.  I use the manual type, which you turn round and round.  No battery recharging necessary.  Just muscle work:D.  At the end of the day, how many minutes are you really saving?

It’s not about saving minutes for me, arthritis in my elbows, shoulders, back and legs prevents me from bending over for any length of time, also I cannot hold and turn the manual brace.

What I can do is grip the drill with both hands and let it do the winding for me.

Just out of interest, do you have a motor mover fitted on your caravan?

• Like 2
  • I agree completely 4

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

7 hours ago, Babstreefern said:

When it’s chucking down with rain a drill is priceless!

• I agree completely 3

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Don't bother with one dedicated 'steadies' drill when I have a perfectly good one in my day to day toolbox!

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium SE 2015 with Lunar Clubman si 2011

Tattoos - who would want to make their body look like the wall in a public urinal - they are going to look amazing on a 75 year old - not!

41 minutes ago, The road toad said:

Don't bother with one dedicated 'steadies' drill when I have a perfectly good one in my day to day toolbox!

Each to their own, but my "day to day" toolbox is way too big and heavy to take with us when we use the van!

8 minutes ago, Stevan said:

Each to their own, but my "day to day" toolbox is way too big and heavy to take with us when we use the van!

Under the boot floor of my car I always carry all the basic tools I might require for car/van (don't plan on removing a wheel bearing or cylinder head while away) so I just grab the drill, raise the steadies and then put it in car. Van is stored at home - it must be a right hassle having the van in storage miles away.

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium SE 2015 with Lunar Clubman si 2011

Tattoos - who would want to make their body look like the wall in a public urinal - they are going to look amazing on a 75 year old - not!