Jump to content

I need a new drill for the caravan steadies.


Recommended Posts

Well after 10 years my recharchable battery drill for winding our caravan steadies up is rapidly failing!

I thought I would ask Father Christmas for a new one! 
Not too expensive. Last one came fro Aldi or Lidl.

Any suggestions please.

Not too expensive as we are poor pensioners.

Thanks

Paul

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No sorry. Out of chatter comes entertainment and the occasional gem of information so this thread is serving two useful purposes, besides, you don't have to read it.

The OP Paul, has had a lot of helpful informed replies , so should be able to make an informed choice to what to buy.....thats all I am saying....How many more years do you want this this thread to co

It’s not about saving minutes for me, arthritis in my elbows, shoulders, back and legs prevents me from bending over for any length of time, also I cannot hold and turn the manual brace.   W

Posted Images

Mine is an 18 volt B&Q own-brand, my parents use an Aldi 14 volt own brand, both have been fine over the last few years.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Link to post
Share on other sites

18v rechargeable off  e bay 5 years ago,it cost £18.50 inc postage,never heard of the make but still going strong,if that fails I shall have to resort to getting the manual winder out,the wife need the exercise.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2013 Bailey Unicorn Cadiz  pulled by a Landrover Freelander 2 / VW Passat Estate 2.0 Blue Motion

Link to post
Share on other sites

Provided it's an 18V one, there's little to choose between them I suspect, unless you want to use it heavily i.e. as a workman using it all day every day, in which case you need to pay for a good one (£100ish).

I do advise getting one with at least 2 speeds, because the lower the speed, the more torque and you'll need that torque to do the job.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, daveat92 said:

 

I do advise getting one with at least 2 speeds, because the lower the speed, the more torque and you'll need that torque to do the job.

 

That's a good point, I use ours to wind the motor mover onto the tyres and the low speed/high torque setting is needed for that.  All I'd say to anyone new is don't use that setting for the corner steadies or they'll likely cause damage.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine was a knackered old Homebase own brand with a failing (and irreplaceable battery)...  My daughter bought me a shiny new Ryobi  as a Christmas gift and a second battery as a birthday gift.

 

The difference between the two drills was staggering, particularly in battery duration.

 

 

2 minutes ago, Nigelwyn said:

I've never thought of trying to use a drill to move the motor mover onto the tyres.  Does that work well?

 

I’d imagine that on our manual Powrtouch and based on the length of the wrench used to engage the both rollers simultaneously, it wouldn't work.  Never tried it though. 
 

 

 

  • I agree completely 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Nigelwyn said:

I've never thought of trying to use a drill to move the motor mover onto the tyres.  Does that work well?

It is for the steadies!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would imagine that some of the more expensive motorised engagement motor movers would have a manual wind on/off overide mechanism.

Could be mistaken! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to have a Bosch cordless, when the battery gave up the ghost it was cheaper to buy a drill from Aldi with 2 batteries, than a replacement Bosch battery.   Bit of a no brainier tbh.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is little point in buying a “high end” rechargeable drill/driver just to wind your steadies. 

 

The cheaper makes tend to have a pretty limited battery life, so just be sure to recharge after each trip (or more often if on an extended trip and moving sites regularly) 

 

 

  • I agree completely 2

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, daveat92 said:

Provided it's an 18V one, there's little to choose between them I suspect, unless you want to use it heavily i.e. as a workman using it all day every day, in which case you need to pay for a good one (£100ish).

I do advise getting one with at least 2 speeds, because the lower the speed, the more torque and you'll need that torque to do the job.

Ditto, I have a Dewalt one, but also use it for wheel nuts etc,,,

Edited by gtepete
Link to post
Share on other sites

Screwfix have a good range - think I paid about £35 including 2 lithium batteries for mine . More than good enough.

  • I agree completely 1

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Facebook market place, I got a Bosch 14v for £5 but buyer beware as it could be a ‘hot item’. Do your research on the seller if they have become a member really recently it’s a red flag. Look at their feedback (yes you can do this on Facebook), look at their posts, is there anything on them that could give a red flag. For steadies you don’t need an expensive high end, high torque drill just something that will bring 4 down and 4 up in one trip.

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Nigelwyn said:

I've never thought of trying to use a drill to move the motor mover onto the tyres.  Does that work well?


Ours is an EMove which requires manual winding to move the rollers into the tyres. The cordless on the slow/high torque setting does it easily.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GaryB1969 said:

 

That's a good point, I use ours to wind the motor mover onto the tyres and the low speed/high torque setting is needed for that.  All I'd say to anyone new is don't use that setting for the corner steadies or they'll likely cause damage.

a) Only if you are silly and continue to wind beyond the point where it's obvious the steady is up/down, and have the wrist strength to hold the drill from twisting!

b) My drill (a Black & Decker which cost c£45*) really struggles to do the job on high speed and if it did manage to do it, then there is a risk it will quickly go beyond the up/down point on the steady.

 

* It also gets a bit of use around the house and garage, but I bet the Screwfix one mentioned above is just as good for occasional use.

Edited by daveat92
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, ReggiePerrin said:

 

I’d imagine that on our manual Powrtouch and based on the length of the wrench used to engage the both rollers simultaneously, it wouldn't work.  Never tried it though. 
 

 

 


True, those that are cam operated and use a half-turn engagement with a lever action probably wouldn’t work. 

2 minutes ago, daveat92 said:

a) Only if you are silly and continue to wind beyond the point where it's obvious the steady is up/down, and have the wrist strength to hold the drill from twisting!

b) My drill really struggles to do the job on high speed and if it did manage to do it, then there is a risk it will quickly go beyond the up/down point on the steady.


My drill on high speed really whizzes the steadies down and stops it dead at just the right pressure. If it was in the higher torque setting I could almost push them up through the floor. Watching some folks winding steadies down you’d think they were trying to use them to dig foundations.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Link to post
Share on other sites

This drill is for winding the steadies, not the motor mover!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PR1 said:

This drill is for winding the steadies, not the motor mover!


It’s for drilling holes. Why wouldn’t you use it for winding the mover?

  • I do not understand 1
  • I agree completely 1

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Just about any drill will do the job! If expense is an issue, buy a cheap one!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:


Ours is an EMove which requires manual winding to move the rollers into the tyres. The cordless on the slow/high torque setting does it easily.

That sounds like a good system as I find the cam system on our van a bit "viscous"

Also motor mover + steadies would be the only scenario that would convince me to carry a drill as I think that steadies alone would be like using a hammer to crack an egg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, robertB said:

That sounds like a good system as I find the cam system on our van a bit "viscous"

 


It is a lot easier (especially with a drill, despite what others think). Winding it manually has to be done with a corner steady brace.

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bought one from Aldi about six years ago and is still going strong. It has the full range of torque settings and so sets the steadies perfectly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ReggiePerrin said:

Mine was a knackered old Homebase own brand with a failing (and irreplaceable battery)...  My daughter bought me a shiny new Ryobi  as a Christmas gift and a second battery as a birthday gift.

 

The difference between the two drills was staggering, particularly in battery duration.

 

 

 

I’d imagine that on our manual Powrtouch and based on the length of the wrench used to engage the both rollers simultaneously, it wouldn't work.  Never tried it though. 
 

 

 

The two batteries on my Bosch seem to be done now. Not bad, it's lasted 15 years of heavy use. 

 

You'd reccomend Ryobi then? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a Ryobi, with 2 batteries. I now have an Aldi with 2 batteries. I also have a 12vdc to 240ac inverter, so if the drill batteries need charging when we are travelling between site's (France), the drill battery is at maximum charge!

Swift Elegance 480, towed by a Mitsubishi Outlander GX4 Automatic.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...