Jump to content

Caravan Mifi/WiFi


Recommended Posts

As mentioned I’m looking at a mobile WiFi router that works on a SIM card. But there is a few out there was just wondering what people have got and how well they work? Thinking of getting a sim only on sky as already got 100gb in my piggy bank....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are  entries in the index that might help. Look under Mi Fi and Internet. Click the index link below.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Big Bad Dave said:

Nighthawk Mr1100 has been excellent for me.

easy to set up and use.

Ok thank you will look at that one

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Cadej88 said:

As mentioned I’m looking at a mobile WiFi router that works on a SIM card. But there is a few out there was just wondering what people have got and how well they work? Thinking of getting a sim only on sky as already got 100gb in my piggy bank....

 

If there is 100Gb stacked up in your Sky account why not just put your phone into Hotspot mode and use that? Admittedly phones do a lot more than a mi-fi so they sometimes have a tendency to be a bit less sensitive but they still do the job.

 

Otherwise look at the Huawei units. You can get them cheap from the likes of Computer Exchange (uk.webuy.com) the commonest of which are 3 branded and are unlocked. Just make sure you get one with 4G. Some of the Huawei models have the advantage of external aerial connections.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Woodentop said:

 

If there is 100Gb stacked up in your Sky account why not just put your phone into Hotspot mode and use that? Admittedly phones do a lot more than a mi-fi so they sometimes have a tendency to be a bit less sensitive but they still do the job.

 

Otherwise look at the Huawei units. You can get them cheap from the likes of Computer Exchange (uk.webuy.com) the commonest of which are 3 branded and are unlocked. Just make sure you get one with 4G. Some of the Huawei models have the advantage of external aerial connections.

Hi I don’t use my phone as the phone then needs to stay in the caravan at all time that’s why I was wanting a stand alone device plus it is on my daughters phone that I got for her and she doesn’t like to part with it best of times.. ok thank you will check that out 👌🏻👌🏻

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07Z5LWMNZ

 

Works very well and is light so I just plug it into the USB port on one of the spotlights and it hangs there for the duration. It does have a battery so you can charge it up and use it unplugged.

 

It is unlocked so works on any network but comes with a Smarty SIM (3 network) which has very good data prices, if you can get a signal!

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, colc1705 said:

I have this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07Z5LWMNZ

 

Works very well and is light so I just plug it into the USB port on one of the spotlights and it hangs there for the duration. It does have a battery so you can charge it up and use it unplugged.

 

It is unlocked so works on any network but comes with a Smarty SIM (3 network) which has very good data prices, if you can get a signal!

 

 

Thanks, do u use it on three then? Or have u got a different SIM card for it?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Cadej88 said:

Thanks, do u use it on three then? Or have u got a different SIM card for it?

 

 

I have the Smarty SIM, an EE one and a Giffgaff (O2) so use which ever is best in the area I'm in. Not always easy to find out but my phone is on BT (EE) and my wife's on O2 so we can usually get a good idea which is going to give the best signal. The Smarty SIM has the best value for data but the 3 network can sometimes be patchy.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 18/11/2020 at 16:47, colc1705 said:

 

I have the Smarty SIM, an EE one and a Giffgaff (O2) so use which ever is best in the area I'm in. Not always easy to find out but my phone is on BT (EE) and my wife's on O2 so we can usually get a good idea which is going to give the best signal. The Smarty SIM has the best value for data but the 3 network can sometimes be patchy.

 

 

 

Use a network app such as Network Cell Info Lite which will show strength of signal and direction of cell mast on a map.

 

I have dual sim phones so can compare two sim signals side by side.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

Just changed up from a Huawei E5372 to a  B535.  Other than checking it to see that it works ok, it's a refurb, it looks a good unit.

I've had the 5372 for years and it's been faultless, and as I always have it plugged in, I thought it was time for an upgrade.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our present caravan came with a Huawei unit as fitted with its standard bling.

 

We normally use our EE supported phones as hotspots but have used the unit below with a 'Three' card in it when on rare occasions EE has not come up with the goods.

 

Works very well and has provided a fall back stop but probably wouldn't have shelled out on it as an extra and just relied on our phones.

 

20210321_101112.jpg.8a5acbc3946de31e8d4775a4910e98ac.jpg

 

20210321_101426.thumb.jpg.dc24bce372e3b53970292a1e1db2e11a.jpg

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front Green Oval Towing Machine

Wheels at the back Bessacarr 845

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 21/03/2021 at 10:29, Griff said:

Our present caravan came with a Huawei unit as fitted with its standard bling.

 

We normally use our EE supported phones as hotspots but have used the unit below with a 'Three' card in it when on rare occasions EE has not come up with the goods.

 

Works very well and has provided a fall back stop but probably wouldn't have shelled out on it as an extra and just relied on our phones.

 

20210321_101112.jpg.8a5acbc3946de31e8d4775a4910e98ac.jpg

 

20210321_101426.thumb.jpg.dc24bce372e3b53970292a1e1db2e11a.jpg

Thanks for that will look into one of those

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Hi I am looking into buying a mobile router so my dad can get internet in his static caravan to watch tv , Netflix etc. I will be getting a pay as you go sim and the best network in the area is 02. 
 

can anyone suggest a good router? It will be taken up to the caravan when he goes up and probably taken back home. The caravan is only for the family so we would pick up the router and take it up with us when need be.  
 

will I need to connect anything to the tv for it to work? 
 

thanks in advance 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...