After market Head Up Display

Has anyone bought one? 

Thinking about one as a Christmas Gift. Preferably one which projects onto the windscreen without stick on film.  Biggest screen and maximum info for a tech focussed driver would be great. Not a caravanner but would make a great gift. ODB connectivity is OK.

Cheers all.

Have you had any experience with a head up display? I was lent a demonstrator with a head up display and found it so disturbing that I felt the need to cover the projector with a book until I found a way in the menu to disable it

Edited by Lutz

Drove BMW with just speed display and thought it was superb, it appeared just left of centre so not disrupting at all, possibly a bit small. Also drove another vehicle which had a bigger display which appeared to float just above the front centre of bonnet. It had actual speed, speed limit of road and full colour Sat Nav loved it. Did consider an aftermarket but not impressed with what was about.

My opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.;)

My wife's car (Focus) came with one fitted, the fold up perspex screen type rather than the kind that project on to the windscreen.  Although I don't tend to drive that car a lot, like Lutz I found it a bit weird at first but you can get used to it, and you can personalise the display to some extent.  Not sure about the after market type, maybe a bit clunky having some kind of projector on top of the dashboard?

Had it on a loan car. Had to switch it off as found it very distracting in the dark

Lunar Solaris 1 Limited Edition Hopefully Behind A

BMW 520D MSport Touring. ...

***** Jack of all Trades. ... Master of None *****

I had a “He-Man” aftermarket HUD speedo and found it to be excellent. (It did/does need a small reflective patch on the screen). I never found it to dazzle me, having said that it is one of the more expensive makes and had an auto dimmer so as the light levels fell the display dimmed.  Maybe the cheaper makes don’t dim?? 

Current car has a factory fit HUD, It displays, speed (mph or km/h, dead handy when abroad) A picture of any speed limit sign in force, and Satnav directions if a route has been set. Wouldn’t want to be without it I consider them to be excellent aids to road safety, you don’t have to look down at the speedo. 

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

Wife's MINI has a rise and fall HUD which displays various functions and has a memory position for each driver.

Fine for us.

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front - Discovery 4. Wheels at the back - Bessacarr 845.

I'd be interested in a good aftermarket HUD, I've driven a couple of cars with factory fit and was really impressed but unfortunately the aftermarket stuff that I've looked at doesn't compete, hopefully that'll  change.

Hymer 545 Luxusline hauled by Audi SQ5 plus.

I had a He-man aftermarket  speedo and found it to be excellent. I got mine off eBay from a company that lease out fully equipped “learner” cars and, when they get to the end of their lease, remove all the kit (inc the HUD) and sell it off.

The cost new for HE-Man is pretty high! I think I paid about £25 :D

I had a courtesy car from MB which had one and liked it so I bought a GPS based speed only one, which I used for about a week before the novelty wore off, after which it got quite annoying. 

It wasn't hugely expensive, but did have auto day / night setting. I think it's in the shed now somewhere. I actually found it more difficult / distracting to focus from the road to a HUD than to the much clearer numeric speed display on the dashboard. 

Mercedes E350 CDi AMG Cabriolet, Lunar Freelander 640EW Twin Axle @1700kg

********* Naughty Step Aficionado And Grand Collector Of Naughty Points *********

47 minutes ago, PMW said:

I had a courtesy car from MB which had one and liked it so I bought a GPS based speed only one, which I used for about a week before the novelty wore off, after which it got quite annoying. 

It wasn't hugely expensive, but did have auto day / night setting. I think it's in the shed now somewhere. I actually found it more difficult / distracting to focus from the road to a HUD than to the much clearer numeric speed display on the dashboard. 

Odd because I find it much better than looking down at my speedo.

The military clearly feel the same way as just about every combat military aircraft in the world has been fitted with HUD fir many years now!

13 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

Odd because I find it much better than looking down at my speedo.

The military clearly feel the same way as just about every combat military aircraft in the world has been fitted with HUD fir many years now!

To me the dashboard display is much easier to use, as soon as your eye falls on it you know your speed, you don't have to focus on it, or even read it, you simply identify the seed. With the HUD you do have to focus on t. I hope I have explained that well?

Military combat aircraft is a totally different application and has no relevance to a road vehicle. A pilot will focus more on the HUD than the road in front of him,largely of course because there is no road in front of him, every bit of information needed is on his HUD, target, threat, airspeed, altitude, weapons status etc, in fact the most modern aircraft the pilot is not even in the cockpit, but flying by remote control. He doesn't have to be on the lookout for some boy racer in his TT, or a child chasing a football. 

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

Mercedes E350 CDi AMG Cabriolet, Lunar Freelander 640EW Twin Axle @1700kg

********* Naughty Step Aficionado And Grand Collector Of Naughty Points *********

A 'proper' factory fit HUD doesn't have a reflective patch on the windscreen and seems to project the image in front of the car so there's no need to change focus, the info is just there, directly in your field of vision.

Absolutely brilliant IMO but unfortunately the aftermarket stuff isn't nearly as good or I'd have one already.

Hymer 545 Luxusline hauled by Audi SQ5 plus.

I have  a HUD on my new Volvo V60.  It's OK, but nothing to write home about.  Had I realised when I ordered the car, I should have gone for the heated windscreen rather then the HUD.

• I agree completely 2

2013 Honda CR-V EX iDTEC; 2014 Swift Challenger Sport 514

34 minutes ago, PMW said:

Military combat aircraft is a totally different application and has no relevance to a road vehicle. A 

No, it’s all about having the information in your line of sight so you don’t have to move your eyes from looking ahead.

If your assertion is correct about a pilot not needing to look ahead why are they even provided with a HUD when they could look at their “dashboard” 

The HUD  in an aircraft is there so the pilot does get distracted by looking down into the cockpit. Essential switches are on the throttle and control column fir the same reason. Less essential stuff is preselected. They could be going very fast at low level so don't  need distractions!

Latest aircraft have voice operated controls too. As do some cars?

Hyundai Santa Fe+Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

Mini Cooper convertible -fun Car!:)

I have the heads up as standard and the speed limit as well which is very useful but it reads about 2 mph different to the speedometer so not sure which is accurate. The speed limit display relies on a camera and can be wrong very occassionaly though, so best not to  rely on it to much.

Amongst the seemingly endless number of gizmos and gadgets in my 2-year-old Volvo XC60, I’d say the HUD is definitely one that I’d insist on for any future car.

Pre-HUD, I found that re-focussing from the road ahead then down to the speedo or satnav was getting quite difficult. Even purchasing varifocals didn’t seem to do the trick. But, by using the screen display I get the speedo, current speed limit, cruise control info and basic satnav  - all just slightly below my line-of-sight with virtually no re-focussing problems.

Another accessory I thought was a gimmick, but now find very useful is the voice controls - so I can just say “I’m cold” and the heating is raised by a degree, “Take me to Birmingham” to operate the satnav, “Phone Fred”, etc, etc - all without taking my eyes off the road.

John

• I agree completely 1

I first had HUD in my Audi A7, and loved it.

When I recently changed to a Q7, the HUD was a must-have. One of very few must haves actually, the rest were an added bonus.

My wife likes it very much, and we tried to get an aftermarket one for her BMW 3-series. After having done much research and reading reviews etc, it was clear that there wasn't much on the market that works well. So we haven't bothered.

Not sure it has been mentioned previously in the thread, but the HUD in my Q7 requires a different windscreen. The part numbers are different. If you want to retrofit the factory HUD, it involves changing the windscreen too.

48 minutes ago, Johnaldo said:

I can just say, “Take me to Birmingham” 

Not advisable John :D

• Like 1

2016 Audi Q7 3. 0 - Towing a 2012 Sterling Elite Emerald

Persistent Love2Stay user

1 hour ago, 664DaveS said:

. Essential switches are on the throttle and control column fir the same reason. Less essential stuff is preselected.

Like wiper and indicators alongside the steering wheel, and speed limiter/cruise control, radio controls etc being operated by steering wheel mounted switches OR by voice control then! 

HUD’s in cars are clearly proving very popular, if they weren’t then the manufacturers would be saving money by not fitting them to new models, but the opposite is happening. 

1 hour ago, Wildwood said:

I have the heads up as standard and the speed limit as well which is very useful but it reads about 2 mph different to the speedometer so not sure which is accurate. 

Hardly a critical differential is it?  

Edited by Mr Plodd

4 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

I had a He-man aftermarket  speedo and found it to be excellent. I got mine off eBay from a company that lease out fully equipped “learner” cars and, when they get to the end of their lease, remove all the kit (inc the HUD) and sell it off.

The cost new for HE-Man is pretty high! I think I paid about £25 :D

Showing as "out of stock"--at£97.00!

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

6 minutes ago, Dave Capiro owner said:

HUD in the Mazda is fine except in bright sunlight and using polaroid sunglasses.

Do any other marques have this issue

Not sure, I'm under 70 so don't wear polaroid sunglasses :P

2016 Audi Q7 3. 0 - Towing a 2012 Sterling Elite Emerald

Persistent Love2Stay user