Government to introduce road tolls ?

This is not a new idea, it was originally proposed by the Labour Government in 2007 but quietly put to one side because people didn't like the idea! It probably stands a better chance this time round because as several of you have explained the future demise of petrol and diesel cars in the relatively near future would mean a funding gap regardless of COVID. It would be much more difficult to tax electricity because of how we use it for other things. Personally I think taxing by use is could be a good option. The charge you pay could depend on the time of day you use the roads so it could aid congestion. The reality would probably not be as bad as it seems. I bet not many of us work out how much total tax we pay for using our cars, VED, fuel duty etc?

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There's no such thing as a "free lunch". If you want something, be it :- money to stay at home during pandemics; "eat out to help out" subsidised meals; free schooling; NHS; roads; no potholes; n

This didnt take alot of foresight I'm surprised anyone is shocked by this.  The government insists on the death of all ICE including hybrids by 2035, it's really nothing to do with the popularity

Is the government going to continue to run diesel trains around Cornwall, Wales and Scotland ..or just tell the local people to run electric cars?

Posted Images

Hi, seems that after 2030things will change, perhaps its back to horses.....

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/2030-petrol-diesel-car-ban-072635370.html

Dave

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

And once the whole EV issue is done and dusted they will be targeting de-carbonisation of our homes, changing to electric heating and cooking.  This all won't go away and they won't be finding a vaccine for it!

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

3 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

And once the whole EV issue is done and dusted they will be targeting de-carbonisation of our homes, changing to electric heating and cooking.  This all won't go away and they won't be finding a vaccine for it!

Houses are now being built with no gas supply. Higher levels of insulation and new heating technology is reducing energy useage. Do we want to Talk about smart meters?

Ern

This all makes me want to bury my head in the sand, *********** and take the slaps as they come along....

Admin comment:

Bad language edited out in line with the forum T&Cs

Bad Language:

This is a family site, therefore swearing, foul language and profanities are not acceptable in any form, and where seen will be removed. Even if you do not find a particular word or phrase offensive, please respect others who may. Swearing includes direct swear words, abbreviated swear words, net-speak swearing, and disguised words where symbols or other characters are used to circumvent our automatic word filters.

2018 Volvo XC60  D4 AWD + Penshurst Premier Plus (AKA Elddis Affinity 550)

6 minutes ago, Ern said:

Houses are now being built with no gas supply. Higher levels of insulation and new heating technology is reducing energy useage. Do we want to Talk about smart meters?

It’s something I am involved with and it makes my head spin! It’s all gathering speed at an incredible rate.

1 minute ago, GaryB1969 said:

It’s something I am involved with and it makes my head spin! It’s all gathering speed at an incredible rate.

Are you claiming some sort actual knowledge?

If so you have nothing to add to the debate of here😂😂😂😂😂

9 minutes ago, GaryB1969 said:

As will the meters and bills.  🤣

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

If anyone has trouble sleeping have a browse through here, the innovation strategies are near the end:

https://www.westernpower.co.uk/innovation/innovation-strategy

I've headed up the technical engineering departments for suppliers into the supply industry for over 30 years, my involvement is the innovation of how our power is distributed through the network, anyone that claims that EV's "won't happen" or dismisses the roll out of any other de-carbon project is misguided.  It is happening, it will happen.  Possibly not at the speed that is being forecasted but it will be pushed to fruition.  There are LOTS of hurdles and unknowns, but it's something we are going to have to accept and adapt to whether we like it or not.

The head of BMW has made t clear that while they are happy to build electric cars in the numbers needed he cannot see us having the infrastructure in place to support them by then. This is echoed by others in the know although none of us have a crystal ball but there is a distinct possibility that the idea will not be practical and will have to be delayed. If that happens though it may be too late as the ICE vehicles will no longer be on the production line and the electric ones will not sell. The whole thing could just be a mess, but what do you expect from any government in this country.

4 minutes ago, Wildwood said:

The head of BMW has made t clear that while they are happy to build electric cars in the numbers needed he cannot see us having the infrastructure in place to support them by then. This is echoed by others in the know although none of us have a crystal ball but there is a distinct possibility that the idea will not be practical and will have to be delayed. If that happens though it may be too late as the ICE vehicles will no longer be on the production line and the electric ones will not sell. The whole thing could just be a mess, but what do you expect from any government in this country.

All the major motor manufacturers will happily make cars with whichever power source will actually sell!

If there is more pressure on the politicians from the industry and motorists because of infrastructure issues than from the environmental lobby the deadline will simply be extended, perhaps indefinitely.

1 hour ago, GaryB1969 said:

This has been targeted, gas and oil heating to cease for new installations I think already has a date

macafee2

Re home heating.

The Gov't has already said ALL new homes built after (I can't remember the date, but it's only a very few years from now) will no longer be allowed to have gas heating. It will be done by heat pumps which are very efficient, giving a lot of heat for very little electricity.

I don't know what the situation will be re using gas for cooking (or not). 

Home heating is on the agenda for future retro-fitting as well.  I have no information on dates or anything else but the "plan" is to eventually enforce the use of electric powered heating for the replacement of gas boilers when they require replacing.  It's not worth worrying about as it isn't round the corner, but it's worth keeping in mind.

There is Talk of 3-phase conversion of existing properties to allow the use of more electric powered ovens etc but that is way off in the future and is a massive undertaking.

One thing for sure your house fuel costs will go up also your motoring costs up too.

Regards, David
Ford Kuga ST line 2ltr. Diesel 2017,  Bailey Pursuit 11 400/2 2018, Emove em303 motor mover, Hyundai 1000i Generator.

2 hours ago, David 38 said:

One thing for sure your house fuel costs will go up also your motoring costs up too.

The theory is that what you save in gas will offset any rise in electric.  Theory might not match reality though!

On 16/11/2020 at 14:16, Leedslad said:

All this is some distance away.  Sales of petrol and diesel cars are set to continue until 2030, so I could ( if I so desired ) buy a new one in say 2029 and run it for 10 years.  By which time I'd be 92 and not too concerned about future developments.  

Politically,  road charging is something of a hot potato and Labour have already considered it and chickened out, so it's an idea in progress.  It could be some time before any of this stuff takes effect.    :)

John.

I would probably consider the same, especially if I wanted to continue touring.

But I wonder how many fuel stations will still be operating, and offering fossil fuels, and at what cost?

4 hours ago, GaryB1969 said:

If anyone has trouble sleeping have a browse through here, the innovation strategies are near the end:

https://www.westernpower.co.uk/innovation/innovation-strategy

I've headed up the technical engineering departments for suppliers into the supply industry for over 30 years, my involvement is the innovation of how our power is distributed through the network, anyone that claims that EV's "won't happen" or dismisses the roll out of any other de-carbon project is misguided.  It is happening, it will happen.  Possibly not at the speed that is being forecasted but it will be pushed to fruition.  There are LOTS of hurdles and unknowns, but it's something we are going to have to accept and adapt to whether we like it or not.

I'm in a similar field and attend the WPD strategy discussion meetings each time they are on.

It's going to be a massive challenge to the grid, and nobody really knows how to solve it. I'm not convinced with distributed smart charging.

We have already started to put three phase in to some new houses due to EV charging loads.

My biggest field is warehousing, and you should see how big the supplies are that we are ordering now due to EV and EHGV.

Scary stuff.

2016 Audi Q7 3. 0 - Towing a 2012 Sterling Elite Emerald

Persistent Love2Stay user

1 minute ago, Hort2074 said:

I'm in a similar field and attend the WPD strategy discussion meetings each time they are on.

It's going to be a massive challenge to the grid, and nobody really knows how to solve it. I'm not convinced with distributed smart charging.

We have already started to put three phase in to some new houses due to EV charging loads.

My biggest field is warehousing, and you should see how big the supplies are that we are ordering now due to EV and EHGV.

Scary stuff.

Some of the cables in use are 100 years old or more and already over their operating capacity so a huge over-lay program is needed, but we're told it WILL happen.  The overall total cost will be somewhere between incredible and eye-watering.

3 hours ago, daveat92 said:

Re home heating.

The Gov't has already said ALL new homes built after (I can't remember the date, but it's only a very few years from now) will no longer be allowed to have gas heating. It will be done by heat pumps which are very efficient, giving a lot of heat for very little electricity.

I don't know what the situation will be re using gas for cooking (or not). 

We are involved in building many properties, both individual houses and apartments / student blocks. We haven't designed gas in for a while now.

We also build medical centres on a regular basis, and they have no gas lately either.

Just now, GaryB1969 said:

Some of the cables in use are 100 years old or more and already over their operating capacity so a huge over-lay program is needed, but we're told it WILL happen.  The overall total cost will be somewhere between incredible and eye-watering.

Partly because WPD pay through the nose for civils in a lot of cases!!

I lose count of how many old pitch insulated cables I have seen that run at over 90 degrees and drip tar everywhere due to overload and ground pressure.

2016 Audi Q7 3. 0 - Towing a 2012 Sterling Elite Emerald

Persistent Love2Stay user

10 minutes ago, Hort2074 said:

I lose count of how many old pitch insulated cables I have seen that run at over 90 degrees and drip tar everywhere due to overload and ground pressure.

I’ve stripped countless PILC cables and then trod bitumen everywhere I walked afterwards. Horrible stuff!