Cliff fall in Canaries

It could happen over here as in many areas the cliffs are unstable and you do need to take care.

My in laws used to store their caravans on a site near Bridlington which got smaller every year. There is a lot less of it these days.

32 minutes ago, Wildwood said:

It could happen over here as in many areas the cliffs are unstable and you do need to take care.

My in laws used to store their caravans on a site near Bridlington which got smaller every year. There is a lot less of it these days.

As a child I remember my parents static van permanently sited at Barmston just down the coast from Bridlington. Cliff erosion there is rapid and the site as I remember it has largely disappeared.

This millennium stone in Barmston illustrates the pace of erosion.

image.thumb.png.7150ce4bd158ddd10047c7d45887674e.png

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

13 hours ago, Stevan said:

Rock falls, are commonplace on virtually all cliffs. Who, in their right mind puts caravans at the bottom of a cliff?

Exactly the same folk where I have my van who ignore, don't go near the edge, don't sit under the cliff, caution falling rocks, don't climb up the cliff, signs, all prefaced with DANGER, prominently and frequently displayed, till something happens.

Then it's up to the inshore and off shore lifeboat teams, the cliff rescue teams and the air sea chopper doing it's frequent trips to Ysbyty Gwynedd A&E, to sort out the mess, where as well as treatment for their injuries, for those who survive, they should have an eye test and a reading and comprehension test, because something must be wrong with either of these 😆

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

When walking the south west coast path I saw people who frankly had a death wish, and not adhering to cliff signs or common sense. There was one instance where at West bay in Dorset 3 people who had been sitting beneath a cliff were killed ; and yet only a few weeks later people were sitting in much the same place with signs everywhere.

I came to the conclusion its natures way of culling the foolish. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I recall seeing a TV programme a while ago about a huge slab of Las Palmas (Close on a cubic mile of rock/earth) that is, at some time, going to eventually slide into the sea and create a tsunami of truly biblical proportions that will utterly destroy the East coast of America AND most of the U.K. We are talking  of one some 50  metres high!.

See Here It makes for worrying reading. And video simulation below

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

Will this be before or after what West Coast Americans call "The big one" when the San Andreas fault slips and drops California into the Pacific Ocean?

We're doomed, all doomed! Don't panic, don't panic! Oh dear, how sad, never mind.

8 hours ago, sureflow said:

When walking the south west coast path I saw people who frankly had a death wish, and not adhering to cliff signs or common sense. There was one instance where at West bay in Dorset 3 people who had been sitting beneath a cliff were killed ; and yet only a few weeks later people were sitting in much the same place with signs everywhere.

I came to the conclusion its natures way of culling the foolish. 

Maybe they thought no one else will sit near them!

On 15/11/2020 at 22:12, Stevan said:

Rock falls, are commonplace on virtually all cliffs. Who, in their right mind puts caravans at the bottom of a cliff?

What about towns at the bottom of cliffs .. see La Roque Gageac, in the Dordogne ..

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

31 minutes ago, Disco Kid said:

What about towns at the bottom of cliffs .. see La Roque Gageac, in the Dordogne ..

There was a huge rockfall there in the 1950s wiping out several houses but miraculously only 3 people were killed. 
According to the commentary on the Gabares river trip. 👍. Lovely place.

50 minutes ago, Disco Kid said:

Some cliffs are more stable than others, but none are totally safe.

German for dung except a slightly ruder term for it! Generally used as a swear word as in English.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Interestingly, in the Urban Dictionary it also means

"lacks the ability to understand and interpret common sense"  when walking close to or sitting underneath unstable cliffs ....

I know another definition when applied to “under cliff”  walkers

Brain dead :rolleyes:

On 16/11/2020 at 20:42, Mr Plodd said:

I recall seeing a TV programme a while ago about a huge slab of Las Palmas (Close on a cubic mile of rock/earth) that is, at some time, going to eventually slide into the sea and create a tsunami of truly biblical proportions that will utterly destroy the East coast of America AND most of the U.K. We are talking  of one some 50  metres high!.

See Here It makes for worrying reading. And video simulation below

I remember reading about this in a fishing magazine, i would have been younger than 13 at the time, so at least 20 years ago.

2 hours ago, Dave87 said:

I remember reading about this in a fishing magazine, i would have been younger than 13 at the time, so at least 20 years ago.

Less than an instant in geological time! 

On 16/11/2020 at 10:50, Wildwood said:

It could happen over here as in many areas the cliffs are unstable

It happens every winter all along our own east coast.   There are hundreds of properties where they are able to calculate how long it will be before they fall into the sea.   Here's one in Norfolk

1980712589_HouseonNorfolkCliff.jpg.d7970378ec080fb52153716e13b07fbd.jpg

In spite of what they say about climate change, coastal erosion isn't a new thing.   It's been going on for centuries.   In the Middle Ages the town of Dunwich was the third biggest town in the country with at least five churches.   Over the two hundred years between 1400 and 1600, the entire town was taken by the sea.  Not by cliff falls, but by rising sea levels.    All that's left is a village of one street and about ten houses. 

• Like 1

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

We were camping at a THS on Olivers Mount, Scarborough, when that hotel/Guest house slipped down the cliff into the sea. We heard the noise early morning like thunder, but didnt know what had happened until we turned the local radio on an hour or two later. Unfortunate for the owners and the guests, but it was spectacular.

Volvo XC60 D5 AWD AUTO. Lunar Lexon 570

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

2 x darling grandaughters and her

I used to work with someone who had just returned from his annual holiday.

He told us they had hired a caravan in a site beside the coast. The keys were sent a few days before they set out, with the instruction that it was the 2nd row, 3rd in from the cliff.

When they got there, they counted the vans and tried the key, but it didn't work. They checked the van was the correct one, yes, 2nd row, 3rd inland from the cliff. Still no joy with the key.

So they went to the site office and explained they had been sent the wrong keys, did he have a spare set?

"Oh no." said the manager. "They are the correct keys, but you're trying the wrong van. Last week the first van blew over the cliff edge. You are now the 2nd in from the cliff edge" !!!!

True story!

Edited by daveat92

This summer we went to Skipsea in Yorkshire for a week. On the beach there, there are some WWII concrete bunkers about 50 yards from the bottom of the cliff. During WWII they were on top of the cliff!

During the week we walked on the beach several times and the cliff was visibly different in places every time.

To be fair, that week had seen high winds and unusually high tides.