Lack of seat locker access doors why?

Message added by CT Advertising,

CoachmanEach Coachman caravan is built to our exacting standards using state-of-the-art construction methods and materials and finished with the highest levels of specification and features.

We strive to move forward in our quest to create the perfect caravan.
Visit Coachman.co.uk for further details.

Hi, 

We really like the look of the VIP 520, but remain surprised on such a high specification caravan why the two lockers beneath the seats on the side dinette don't have side access doors? Our current Swift has these and we use them daily to get various items out without taking all of the seat cushions off the top to access via this route.  

Is this something Coachman could consider changing going forward?  Also can't tell from some promotional pictures I saw but do the long front seats have access doors in the bed/base lockers?

It seems like a simple omission? 

Edited by thensum

2015 Swift Challenger 530SE & 2017 VW Tiguan R-line 4Motion 2.0TDI 150BHP

Cost probably.

I agree that they are useful as they are not included on the front bench seats on my Vison. I expect they were removed as a cost saving on my van, 

Edited by ian16527

Do the front seats have any front access flaps?

The VIP 545 we have on order doesn't have them.

Its a nuisance but wasn't a deal breaker for us.

18 hours ago, thensum said:

Hi, 

We really like the look of the VIP 520, but remain surprised on such a high specification caravan why the two lockers beneath the seats on the side dinette don't have side access doors? Our current Swift has these and we use them daily to get various items out without taking all of the seat cushions off the top to access via this route.  

Is this something Coachman could consider changing going forward?  Also can't tell from some promotional pictures I saw but do the long front seats have access doors in the bed/base lockers?

It seems like a simple omission? 

Totally agree with you. We have a 2020 Acadia and same issue. 

For me, not to have seat locker doors would be a top reason not to buy the van.   I use the doors morning and night for pillows etc.   Also drain valves and water heater switch are reached via the door.    It can only be penny pinching on build price.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

We lift the seat up gently on our vision couple times a day to store two toppers,two duvets,four pillows,never a problem,other side access to drain taps,occasional use items,never a problem,if you don’t need it,why have it?

• Like 1

I've never had a use for access doors to the front lockers (int. or ext!) on any 'van. Since they only contain bedding  it's much easier to lift the seats. My Elegance has both & I've yet to use them at all.

14 minutes ago, Pheasant said:

We lift the seat up gently on our vision couple times a day to store two toppers,two duvets,four pillows,never a problem,other side access to drain taps,occasional use items,never a problem,if you don’t need it,why have it?

Exactly! & they must cost a considerable amount to provide.

3L auto Nissan Terrano, 2004 & Swift Elegance 530, 2018. As Leonardo da Vinci once said: 'If you find from your own experience that something is a fact & it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority & base your reasoning on your own findings' ie: use your common sense!

Yes, sometimes inconvenient.

I first came across this with our 2017 Vision.  It had a bed support frame that pulled out from the side instead of slats on  a roll from the front chest.

On our 2019 model the traditional bed slats were reintroduced so I assumed it was a weight saving measure as Coachmans are a heavier built caravan.

Nevertheless, if sliders were fitted instead of flaps even more weight could be saved at negligible cost - perhaps even a saving?

Car manufacturers look at ways of saving pence per vehicle produced, I would imagine caravan manufacturers do exactly the same. 

My previous Bailey Olympus didn’t have doors under the front benches but the top lifted up and was hinged about 4” out from the caravan sidewall. That meant all I had to do was to remove the seat cushion to gain access under the bench. The backrest sat on the 4” bit coming out from the wall so could stay in place.

New Phoenix has the seat base hinged at the sidewall, so it’s necessary to remove both the seat cushion and the backrest in order to lift the seat base woodwork up  to gain access to the space underneath. Grrrr! But of course the newer set up means there are less operations required to make the seat base (one piece rather than two pieces) so less machining required and a small cost saving. Only one  external access door for an under seat locker and the space under the fixed rear island bed can only be accessed from inside (no external door) 

Edited by Mr Plodd

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

We use our internal front locker doors all the time. 

We considered a Coachman Xcel but there were some glaring omissions and poor design IMHO. No internal locker doors, poor gas locker provision, toilet door hits you in the back whilst cooking (great!), no solar panel, flimsy shower cubicle, protruding TV mount in bedroom. .........and the  front dinette seats are very short. There were some plus points (gorgeous bathroom) but as Mrs YG says, she would go for substance over style all the time. Its all got to work! 

Edited by yorkyguy