Aquaroll Mystery

Caravan drain tap open ??

Look underneath to see if there is water pouring out. The drain tap a small yellow handled “flip” valve located near to your hot water heater, probably under a front bench. It needs to be horizontal, if it’s vertical it’s open. 

• I agree completely 1

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

Try operating that tap a couple of times in case it’s sticking or has some grit underneath the valve seat. If that doesn’t fix it you have a serious leak somewhere!  

On the assumption that you have checked everywhere inside and there are no huge pools of water...........

Full the aqua roll, switch on the pump and look underneath to see if you spot where it’s coming out! 

Experience is an awful teacher who ends up sending you simply horrifying bills

• JanandJay changed the title to Aquaroll Mystery

It's got to be going somewhere. A 40-50 litre aqua roll going empty is a substantial amount of water to empty in minutes. 

With a full aquaroll and the pump running, get down underneath the van and look where it's coming from. Cos you'd already know about it if its leaking inside the caravan.

As Plodd says, the yellow drain valves are known to stick, it's supposed to drain out when its upright, that's its purpose. But with the valve horizontal, there should be no water running underneath the van.

4 hours ago, Tonegate said:

Inside the caravan u mean

The yellow tap is horizontal

Most caravans have two yellow drain valves.  Have you checked both?

• I do not understand 2
  • I disagree 3
  • I agree completely 1
1 hour ago, DACS said:

Most caravans have two yellow drain valves.  Have you checked both?

Do they?

Mine only has one, but it is 18 years old.

Never had a van with 2 drain valves … … however my current one does not flip up/down, but instead turns left/right (it’s a Whale).

John

Some vans do have 2 drain valves, my Hobby has 2 one for hot, one for cold  and as with Johnaldo , they are taps rather than lift up/down.

Some Swifts and others used to have 2 or even 3 drains, one for the boiler and one for hot, one for cold, these two were where you had to reach under the van, usually in the area under the sink and remove the blanking plugs. 😉

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes:

Mine has 3 drain taps but very unlikely on the OP's. 

Shouldn't take a lot of working out really as I think we can rule out evaporation. ;)

Edited by Griff
Winky added.
  • Haha 4

Stay safe - Griff.  :ph34r:

Wheels at the front - Discovery 4. Wheels at the back - Bessacarr 845.

14 hours ago, Tonegate said:

Ok cheers

Water does flow when the yellow tap is in vertical position

does water drain out when it is in the horizontal position?

macafee2

11 minutes ago, joanie said:

with my last caravan if you put the yellow switch down too far it would empty out  , we had to lift it slightly to get the seal.

That happened to me as well. had to flick it up a bit.

15 hours ago, Tonegate said:

Ok cheers

Water does flow when the yellow tap is in vertical position

So has the problem been solved by putting the yellowtap in the horizontal position?

I would imagine that all is now well.

3 hours ago, Griff said:

Mine has 3 drain taps but very unlikely on the OP's. 

Not that it's a competition :) but to illustrate the variety of water systems, my van has 4 drain valves. There's a auto anti freeze valve on the cold water line close to the water heater and a normal drain valve on the hot water line. There are a further two drain valves at the other end of the van, one on each water line.

Life is not a rehearsal . . .:)

Porsche Cayenne S Diesel & Knaus StarClass 695. Previously Audi S4 Avant & Elddis Super Sirocco

I do wonder if you have the cap on securely. If it is not tight you can get a small leak which sound to be your problem. If the seal has gone or is missing you can get another from most dealers or the makers.

15 minutes ago, Wildwood said:

I do wonder if you have the cap on securely. If it is not tight you can get a small leak which sound to be your problem. If the seal has gone or is missing you can get another from most dealers or the makers.

Which cap are you talking about?

Tonegate - have you sorted it yet? If so , what was it?

Another reason for the OP's loss of water could be a faulty hot water valve on the boiler.   (Circled in my picture).  

IMG_20200118_115639.jpg.6fedcd38276d486e0912289f4232b8e7.jpg

The fitting serves two functions.   One is to allow air into the boiler when the system is being drained.   The other, to act as a pressure release valve as the water heats up.   There is a check valve in the fitting which if it has stuck open, will allow water to escape.   The valve is a replaceable item.

The last time I was losing water, I discovered the plastic tube, over the years had become hardened and brittle.   As the water heated up, a crack in the part of the tube within the fitting opened and allowed water to escape.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

1 hour ago, DerbyClubman said:

Could there be a crack in the plastic of the Aquaroll that allows the water to seep out over time - so the contents are lost before even reaching the van ?

Edited by MalH

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

20 hours ago, Tonegate said:

Why does my aqua roll empty itself when i swith pump on and im not using any water in caravan 3 aqua rolls full in 3 days within minutes of switching pump on the aqua roll is empty

if an aqua roll is empty within minutes you should really notice it with not much effort 

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

Tonegate said.......................3 aqua rolls full in 3 days within minutes of switching pump on the aqua roll is empty

That's a lot of water in a very short time , logically it can only end up in one of two places inside the caravan or on the ground, I think such a quantity of water would be instantly visible on the van floor.

The only other way is for the loss to be from such as a drain valve, but the pump  would have to supply the contents of a full Aquaroll in minutes, which I doubt it could do, or others have suggested a faulty or missing sealing washer on one of the rolls caps or if it was split, which I feel would be obvious when filling and moving it.

Odd that Tonegate hasn't observed, or commented about seeing  or hearing such a large quantity of water going somewhere, or coming from somewhere when this has been happening !

Common sense isn't a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.  :rolleyes: