Will you be having the covid vaccine?

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Flat_at said:

I personally feel that the only way out of this situation is to "beat" the virus by getting everyone vaccinated but do I agree with compulsory vaccination??? To be brutally honest, only as a last resort. Tin hat on and expecting flak!

We are seeing 'compulsory' vaccination by stealth in the UK.  I'm all for compulsion (vaccine and face coverings) if it adds years to my life!

Edited by MalH

3 hours ago, Lutz said:

As I've said before, I'm not against vaccines, but I don't just want to be informed of the benefits. I also want to know of possible risks and I can't for the life of me imagine that all that the picture can be complete only six moths after a product (whether it's a vaccine or any form of medication for that matter) has been on the market. It's all gone far too quick for my liking.

I still don't know whether I should be having AstraZeneca, BioNTech/Pfizer, Moderna or Johnson & Johnson, for example. I'm getting conflicting information on all four.

The benefit is that if you contract the virus without having the vaccine you stand a pretty good chance of being hospitalised and could end up on a ventilator especially if you have underlying health conditions (and even if you don't), if you have the vaccine then that chance is drastically reduced, that was all I needed to know and any of the vaccine makes was good enough for me.

The vaccine used for Covid19 is a know vaccine that has been in use for many years for other virus's, all they  have done is add a modifier to make it target this particular virus.

Sometimes you can over think things and by the time you have made your mind up. it's too late!

Jaguar E-Pace 180D HSE R Dynamic - 2008 Swift Conqueror 540

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

31 minutes ago, Steven said:

The benefit is that if you contract the virus without having the vaccine you stand a pretty good chance of being hospitalised and could end up on a ventilator especially if you have underlying health conditions (and even if you don't), if you have the vaccine then that chance is drastically reduced, that was all I needed to know and any of the vaccine makes was good enough for me.

The vaccine used for Covid19 is a know vaccine that has been in use for many years for other virus's, all they  have done is add a modifier to make it target this particular virus.

Sometimes you can over think things and by the time you have made your mind up. it's too late!

:goodpost::Plus1:  It seems that, in the case of your first paragraph, the converse must apply in Germany ;)

4 hours ago, MalH said:

I can't get my head around your logic.  Followed to its logical conclusion, with relatively low vaccine take-up, Germany will soon overtake the UK for Delta cases. So I assume you think it preferable to let the virus rip knowing what that means to public health rather than roll the vaccine out knowing that it will save lives?

:Plus1: :Plus1:

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

Oh, please stop attacking Lutz every time he mentions his concerns. He is not anti-vax, he is not spreading false rumours, he is not trying to persuade anyone to avoid the vaccine - he is just worried.

Yes, we can all see the benefits of having the vaccine far outweigh the risks of not having the vaccine - but simply saying so does not remove the worries of those who are anxious, and neither will calling them selfish.

LUTZ: I'll try and find the link, but apparently the reason the vaccine could be produced so quickly was that (a) the vaccine platforms were already being worked on for many years beforehand for other types of vaccine, and (b) it was discovered quite early that the Covid virus shared similarities with other known viruses that the vaccines could exploit.

The vaccines are not as new as we all thought, they are redeveloped from existing platforms and vaccinations.

Oops. - just noticed that Steven has already said this (much more clearly).

Hopefully, the people that Mrs Lutz is seeing for advice will explain this much better than I can.

1 hour ago, Steven said:

I totally agree, and any vaccine is better than no vaccine, even if some outperform others. I had taken note of the arguments both for and against the vaccines available when I was offered my first jab, and naturally I had a preference BUT no matter what version had been offered I would have accepted it gratefully.

The rules here in the UK are changing on 19th July as the government is allowing individuals to a degree to decide for themselves what they feel is safe for them, so we will have the situation where freedom of choice is being permitted BUT when making that choice we all need to remember that we are not just choosing for ourselves, as what we each decide may well have undesirable knock-on effects for others. No longer will we be fined for not following the government's instructions but the consequences may be much worse if we ignore their advice. I believe in a society we have a duty to consider others as well as ourselves, as it will only take a minority to act irresponsibly for the infection rates to increase rapidly, even though the hospitalisation numbers are currently controllable.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

27 minutes ago, Gordon said:

I believe in a society we have a duty to consider others as well as ourselves, as it will only take a minority to act irresponsibly for the infection rates to increase rapidly, even though the hospitalisation numbers are currently controllable.

Very true, but also very lamentable as we live in a society where some people only consider themselves and believe they have some sort of entitlement to do whatever they want, without any consideration for others.

"Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk"

32 minutes ago, Gordon said:

...... it will only take a minority to act irresponsibly for the infection rates to increase rapidly, even though the hospitalisation numbers are currently controllable.

And that's exactly what will happen I'm afraid.

6 minutes ago, Steven said:

Very true, but also very lamentable as we live in a society where some people only consider themselves and believe they have some sort of entitlement to do whatever they want, without any consideration for others.

:Plus1::goodpost:

14 minutes ago, MalH said:

It seems that, in the case of your first paragraph, the converse must apply in Germany ;)

I wonder why?  The very fact that there is an inconsistency should raise questions in one's mind. Even though the Delta variant meanwhile accounts for over 50% of cases in Germany, hospitalisations have remained at previous low levels.

The situation has since developed to a state where tens of thousands of doses of AstraZeneca remain unused because people are refusing the vaccine. The government has therefore taken measures to make existing stocks free of charge to third world countries.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Lutz said:

The situation has since developed to a state where tens of thousands of doses of AstraZeneca remain unused because people are refusing the vaccine. The government has therefore taken measures to make existing stocks free of charge to third world countries.

They  and the population may live (or maybe not live) to regret that.  This isn't going to end well methinks.  Look at NSW as an example of where complacency gets you.

Edited by MalH

When decisions are made, whether as individuals, or by governments, there can be both winners and losers. The sad thing is that those making the decisions may not be the losers!

We all have to decide whether the benefits outweigh the risk and I firmly believe that while a vaccine may kill me, the overwhelming probability is that I will live and potentially save others too.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

On 08/07/2021 at 08:15, Sonar said:

I have had both my jabs..The 2nd one In April.

I would have 1 a day   if it meant protecting my very elderly parents and the rest of my family

and others I come into close contact with.

luckily I had no  effects after either injection.

Some I am sure have had some reactions. 

I was classed as extremely clinically vulnerable   Severe  breathing  lung stuff.

I was and still unable to wear a face mask so exempt.  You can not imagine the looks I was getting at the start of the face mask wearing.

stopped me going out thinking about it. Even came to a few people shouting and swearing at me.

however soon it will be personal choice those that choose not to wear a mark is up to them.

I would have worn one if I could have. I even tried a plastic face shield but using hearing aids I could not hear anything except myself breathing….

hopefully there will be a top up jab in the winter and I will be there..

Weren't you wearing your exemption card? It saves any difficulty like that. Also, a light scarf loosely around your mouth doesn't affect your breathing, but stop you breathing directly towards people. Visible things which show you are doing what you can, and are genuine, should avoid any difficulty.

4 hours ago, Ern said:

Weren't you wearing your exemption card? It saves any difficulty like that. Also, a light scarf loosely around your mouth doesn't affect your breathing, but stop you breathing directly towards people. Visible things which show you are doing what you can, and are genuine, should avoid any difficulty.

At the start of wearing masks there was no such thing as an exemption I’d.s

there was a lot of confusion as to what one should carry. I was given a letter from the doctor to start with.

later there was some card you could download then later the exemption lanyards in green.

but it seems a lot of people just got one to be exempt from mask wearing. As they were not given to the right people just bought on line .

I would have thought struggling to breathe would be a good sign for someone to notice you have a problem.

I get asked a lot by people passing   By me asking if I am ok 

I assume your on a oxygen generator as well as I am then. …

There is no doubt that the vaccine has broken the link of hospitalisation and death.  However, fully vaccinated over 50's are still vulnerable.  Of the 120 people who have died of Covid since February 118 were over 50.

I have three relatives who are vaccine refusers (nothing to do with pre-existing health problems).  Two are on the  autistic spectrum and one is middle aged and a smoker (not autistic).  

Due to this I have decided not to have any close contact with them unless outdoors and they wear a mask.  As two of them believe that the pandemic is a hoax and won't wear masks anyway this is not going to happen.

Also, I think many people believe, erroneously, that the mask protects them but it doesn't it protects others.

I am sad about this state of affairs.  I think it will split families.

1 hour ago, meadowsweet said:

I am sad about this state of affairs.  I think it will split families.

It is not only families that are becoming split, as it also makes people wary of social gatherings where the status of others is uncertain. I know of friendships that have been severed because of disagreement over the seriousness of this pandemic so I fear the repercussions of this outbreak are going to be with us for many years, sadly for some, lasting for the rest of their lives.

I have a family member who has been severely trypanophobic all their life and cannot even think of any medical procedure without, at the very least, having an anxiety attack and vomitting. Fortunately, family understanding that it is a recognised psychiatric condition has prevented any discord. Unfortunately, no consideration has been given to or special provision made for such sufferers by the Govt., NHS or the person’s GP surgery who are fully aware of the situation. All advice regarding the vaccine is for phobia sufferers to overcome it themselves with little or no support available since it is estimated only 10% of the population are severely affected.

3 hours ago, meadowsweet said:

There is no doubt that the vaccine has broken the link of hospitalisation and death. 

I think it's too early to tell. Without question is has altered the numbers such that a smaller proportion are being hospitalised and dying.

But as infections go up, hospital numbers are going up as well so the link is not broken, just modified. Plus there was always at least a two week delay of cases reaching hospital and a further 2 weeks for deaths.

My mate who lives in Germany phoned his doctor up to book a vaccine. Dr said, "oh you're from England, are you happy with the AZ vaccine". Phil replied "ok" to which the Dr replied "Great because no-one else wants it"!!!!

3 hours ago, Legal Eagle said:

I have a family member who has been severely trypanophobic all their life and cannot even think of any medical procedure without, at the very least, having an anxiety attack and vomitting. Fortunately, family understanding that it is a recognised psychiatric condition has prevented any discord. Unfortunately, no consideration has been given to or special provision made for such sufferers by the Govt., NHS or the person’s GP surgery who are fully aware of the situation. All advice regarding the vaccine is for phobia sufferers to overcome it themselves with little or no support available since it is estimated only 10% of the population are severely affected.

But CAN anything be done to assist those with needle phobia?

1 hour ago, Readingblue said:

My mate who lives in Germany phoned his doctor up to book a vaccine. Dr said, "oh you're from England, are you happy with the AZ vaccine". Phil replied "ok" to which the Dr replied "Great because no-one else wants it"!!!!

I bet that attitude will quickly change once Germany’s death rate from Covid rockets, as it surely will as a direct result of so few people taking up the offer of a vaccine.

10 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

But CAN anything be done to assist those with needle phobia?

It is a phobia of any medical procedure not just needles and yes, with the right preparation and approach, it can be accomodated as has been experienced with other situations. An alternative vaccine delivery method is a possible option. AZ were trialling their vaccine as a nasal spray with good efficacy results in adults but it doesn't seem to have been progressed. Making the Johnson & Johnson single dose vaccine more accessible may also help providing GPs will administer it in a surgery consultation or person's home rather than at a public hub.

2 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

I bet that attitude will quickly change once Germany’s death rate from Covid rockets, as it surely will as a direct result of so few people taking up the offer of a vaccine.

You may well be correct but currently we are world beating when it comes to Covid death rates.

1 minute ago, Readingblue said:

You may well be correct but currently we are world beating when it comes to Covid death rates.

And your point is?? 

45 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

And your point is?? 

My point is that despite a slow vaccination rollout, Germany has to double it's death rate to catch up with us - so they must be doing something better than us.

Be nice if we could figure that out.

44 minutes ago, Readingblue said:

My point is that despite a slow vaccination rollout, Germany has to double it's death rate to catch up with us - so they must be doing something better than us.

Difficult to say but maybe services that are properly funded by there government may have helped , perhaps we could try that ?

59 minutes ago, Readingblue said:

Germany like most of Europe is a big country with pockets of population that will create a natural barrier, whereas the U.K. is made up of closely packed communities that spill out into each other.

Best described as apples, put a bad apple out on its own and only it will rot, put it in with other apples and they too very quickly start to rot.

1 hour ago, Readingblue said:

Don’t forget the rest of Europe reports deaths very differently to the U.K. They only report deaths that occur as a direct result of COVID19, whereas we report deaths as COVID related if they have tested positive within so many days of dying.

If we reported the same as Europe ours would be much lower.

:goodpost: