Will you be having the covid vaccine?

18 hours ago, micktheshed said:

Just to add my own experience to the pile  & to temper any possible euphoria:

17 hours ago, Antony1977 said:

I had my first vaccine March 29th (AZ) I didn’t have any after effects at all but . . .

I still have absolutely no taste or smell.

Thanks to all who have shared their experiences. Obviously it is regrettable that anybody should experience undesirable side effects, and too I know of people locally that have been quite unwell and side effects have manifested themselves in various ways. Whether that can be related to existing ailments or not, I do not know but on the other hand I also know many who have felt no adverse effects at all. For myself I had just a headache and a feeling of slight nausea for 24hrs or so after each jab, while my wife felt no side effects at all. We both count ourselves fortunate we have the NHS, and while accepting that there may be more severe side effects next time for us, we would both willingly accept the offer of further injections if needed, as the alternative is potentially much worse.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

On 05/06/2021 at 10:19, Gordon said:

I am told that the name choice of Covid-19 relates to the 19th version that had been sequenced BUT at the time I believed it related to a variant discovered in 2019

I think you were right first time

My bit of a take on weighing up things in life, is that hopefully anything I can do that will prevent injury, illness or death to me, or others, from jabs to PPE etc. I weigh up the pros and con's, not by simply Googling or taking at face value anything in the media, I seek out info from professionals with no  axe to grind.

So in this case, Covid, I did some deep research and decided on the balance of probabilities, taking in mind  that there may be side effects, or that it may not even work fully, that it was for me.

The same goes for when on my motorbike, mountain bike, sailing, welding, grinding and spraying for my hobbies and DIY, I take the appropriate measures, yes I have still had some injuries, they won't  stop a car pulling out of a side street and slamming you into a van, but in this instance they were not a serious as they could have been, death, and I got a free ride in a helicopter, but didn't know about it.

So, make your own decisions for or against, but do proper research which doesn't include here-say or the thousands of stories that abound from ' so called experts ' seek info from those who are researching Covid and other viral based diseases.

I had my second jab 45 minutes ago (Astra Zeneca). The team at our vaccination centre are brilliant, the whole process is extremely efficient 

2018 Volvo V90 and 2018 Swift Sprite Quattro EB

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/06/2021 at 07:20, Lutz said:

I finally got dates for my two jabs with Moderna yesterday, although I must admit I'm only getting it done to make travel a bit easier, not because I'm truly convinced.

Well, that's it. The first jab's done although my opinion still hasn't changed. My wife's gone one stage further has arranged for appointments to consult with three different doctors before she makes her final decision to get vaccinated or not.

32 minutes ago, Lutz said:

Well, that's it. The first jab's done although my opinion still hasn't changed. My wife's gone one stage further has arranged for appointments to consult with three different doctors before she makes her final decision to get vaccinated or not.

If your attitudes are typical it's no wonder EU countries are lagging so far behind the UK and experiencing 4th waves in some cases. 

13 minutes ago, MalH said:

If your attitudes are typical it's no wonder EU countries are lagging so far behind the UK and experiencing 4th waves in some cases. 

I don’t quite follow your reasoning. The incidence rate at present in Germany is 5 and in the UK over 200.

I'm with Silversurf on this one.

I started off one of the "hmmm - bit too early to be sure about this vaccine".

Then I started hearing more about Covid - directly from people who work on the frontline (ambulance, nursing staff).

It was not nice seeing  neighbour's wife (nursing aide) or son (ambulance crew) standing crying tears of despair and exhaustion.

It was not nice hearing that ambulance crew were being told to take only the most critical cases to hospital as there is no more room.

It was not nice hearing that ambulance crew were driving around praying that the person they could not take to hospital manages to survive.

It was not nice seeing the strain on  neighbour each day worrying about whether his wife or son will be infected.

Covid is not nice...

I'm now fully jabbed.

Catching Covid presents more risks than vaccine side effects.

Glad to hear that Lutz, despite his concerns, is going ahead. Let's hope Mrs Lutz gets vaccinated soon.

2 hours ago, Lutz said:

I don’t quite follow your reasoning. The incidence rate at present in Germany is 5 and in the UK over 200.

I'm referring to vaccination rates.  You are beginning to experience the Delta variant and the incidence rate will grow exponentially if vaccine take-up doesn't improve. But you obviously don't want to know. 

2 hours ago, 2seaside said:

I'm with Silversurf on this one.

I started off one of the "hmmm - bit too early to be sure about this vaccine".

Then I started hearing more about Covid - directly from people who work on the frontline (ambulance, nursing staff).

It was not nice seeing  neighbour's wife (nursing aide) or son (ambulance crew) standing crying tears of despair and exhaustion.

It was not nice hearing that ambulance crew were being told to take only the most critical cases to hospital as there is no more room.

It was not nice hearing that ambulance crew were driving around praying that the person they could not take to hospital manages to survive.

It was not nice seeing the strain on  neighbour each day worrying about whether his wife or son will be infected.

Covid is not nice...

I'm now fully jabbed.

Catching Covid presents more risks than vaccine side effects.

Glad to hear that Lutz, despite his concerns, is going ahead. Let's hope Mrs Lutz gets vaccinated soon.

:goodpost:

5 hours ago, Lutz said:

None so blind as those who will not see! 

It is abundantly clear that the highly successful rate of vaccination in the U.K. is having a huge impact on the number of those diagnosed with Covid that are needing hospitalisation. The numbers  are an exceedingly low percentage compared to earlier this year, so, to my simple mind, the vaccination process is working. 

I simply cannot comprehend why anyone, given the option, would need to think for more than a nano second before agreeing to be vaccinated.

The vaccine works, end of. 

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

1 hour ago, Mr Plodd said:

Come on - lumpy porridge this morning?  Lutz has been very open through the process and has explained his position and despite that has been vaccinated.  Can't wish for more.

People can get very worked up over how ‘bad’ we are doing in the UK.  Countries have differed in how they reacted to the virus and how they recorded their performance.  We may be seeing ‘another wave’ or it may be the UK’s level of testing.

The more you look, the more you find.

UK tests - 200million…..  3.2million / million population

German tests - 64million…… 759thousand / million population

43 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

It is abundantly clear that the highly successful rate of vaccination in the U.K. is having a huge impact on the number of those diagnosed with Covid that are needing hospitalisation. The numbers  are an exceedingly low percentage compared to earlier this year, so, to my simple mind, the vaccination process is working. 

I simply cannot comprehend why anyone, given the option, would need to think for more than a nano second before agreeing to be vaccinated.

The vaccine works, end of. 

I'm not anti vaccine, but I applaud your unquestioning faith in it. I have heard so many conflicting reports on the pros and cons of the various different vaccines already in use that I find it impossible to decide which one to choose without further details on them all.

32 minutes ago, Lutz said:

I'm not anti vaccine, but I applaud your unquestioning faith in it. I have heard so many conflicting reports on the pros and cons of the various different vaccines already in use that I find it impossible to decide which one to choose without further details on them all.

The stats don’t lie, huge numbers vaccinated, a lot of new cases but very few hospitalisations. 

41 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

The stats don’t lie, huge numbers vaccinated, a lot of new cases but very few hospitalisations. 

Just to base the effectiveness of the vaccine on the number of hospitalisations is rather simplistic. There are a lot more factors to take into consideration in deciding which is the one to have.

Had my second dose yesterday.

I moved it forward a couple of weeks and I'm glad I did given the infection rates that we are seeing currently and the upcoming removal of all restrictions.  I am very worried for those at risk groups (even if vaccinated) and those that are not yet vaccinated.

8 hours ago, Lutz said:

Just to base the effectiveness of the vaccine on the number of hospitalisations is rather simplistic. There are a lot more factors to take into consideration in deciding which is the one to have.

Simplistic maybe, but the numbers don’t lie and those numbers demonstrate, beyond any doubt whatsoever, they  are proven to work, so what’s the issue??  I got in at tge earliest opportunity to get my jab. Having seen what Covid does to people I wanted to make sure I did everything possible to make sure I didn’t get it.

These vaccine contains nothing to do with the live virus, just a small strand of its RNA (which is why it can be “tweaked” to meet any future mutations.

Don’t confuse it with “old style” vaccines, like smallpox etc as they  had dead virus’s in them.

9 hours ago, Lutz said:

such as the idiocy and self-serving attitude of those who don't believe in vaccines.

Posted (edited)

I have had both my jabs..The 2nd one In April.

I would have 1 a day   if it meant protecting my very elderly parents and the rest of my family

and others I come into close contact with.

luckily I had no  effects after either injection.

Some I am sure have had some reactions. 

I was classed as extremely clinically vulnerable   Severe  breathing  lung stuff.

I was and still unable to wear a face mask so exempt.  You can not imagine the looks I was getting at the start of the face mask wearing.

stopped me going out thinking about it. Even came to a few people shouting and swearing at me.

however soon it will be personal choice those that choose not to wear a mark is up to them.

I would have worn one if I could have. I even tried a plastic face shield but using hearing aids I could not hear anything except myself breathing….

hopefully there will be a top up jab in the winter and I will be there..

Edited by Sonar

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, MalH said:

such as the idiocy and self-serving attitude of those who don't believe in vaccines.

As I've said before, I'm not against vaccines, but I don't just want to be informed of the benefits. I also want to know of possible risks and I can't for the life of me imagine that all that the picture can be complete only six moths after a product (whether it's a vaccine or any form of medication for that matter) has been on the market. It's all gone far too quick for my liking.

I still don't know whether I should be having AstraZeneca, BioNTech/Pfizer, Moderna or Johnson & Johnson, for example. I'm getting conflicting information on all four.

Edited by Lutz

18 minutes ago, Lutz said:

As I've said before, I'm not against vaccines, but I don't just want to be informed of the benefits. I also want to know of possible risks and I can't for the life of me imagine that all that the picture can be complete only six moths after a product (whether it's a vaccine or any form of medication for that matter) has been on the market. It's all gone far too quick for my liking.

I still don't know whether I should be having AstraZeneca, BioNTech/Pfizer, Moderna or Johnson & Johnson, for example. I'm getting conflicting information on all four.

I can't get my head around your logic.  Followed to its logical conclusion, with relatively low vaccine take-up, Germany will soon overtake the UK for Delta cases. So I assume you think it preferable to let the virus rip knowing what that means to public health rather than roll the vaccine out knowing that it will save lives?

Lutz 

AZ vaccine was developed within days of the the virus DNA being found in Feb 2020. What followed was full testing like any vaccine. 

This may have been too quick for your benefit but that doesn't mean that any short cuts were taken. 

I cannot understand at all your reservations on the vaccine. 

I do know that the risks in society are very likely to come from people like you if you decide not t o have the vaccine. It's your choice but you could, in the future, be affecting the health of other third parties. 

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

14 minutes ago, WispMan said:

I do know that the risks in society are very likely to come from people like you if you decide not t o have the vaccine. It's your choice but you could, in the future, be affecting the health of other third parties. 

:goodpost::Plus1:

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, WispMan said:

Lutz 

AZ vaccine was developed within days of the the virus DNA being found in Feb 2020. What followed was full testing like any vaccine. 

This may have been too quick for your benefit but that doesn't mean that any short cuts were taken. 

I cannot understand at all your reservations on the vaccine. 

But I did say that I am getting vaccinated. However, I am not at all happy with the way the problem is being tackled. First they tell us AstraZeneca shouldn't be administered to the over 65's then several weeks later they say it shouldn't be administered to those under 60, finally they say that anyone who has had the first jab as an AstraZeneca should have the second one as a BioNtech, Moderna, or other. Now they don't even know for sure if or when a refresher jab is needed. With so much confusion one doesn't know who to believe and there are probably more as yet unknown details concerning the other vaccines, as well. I get the feeling as if I'm being treated as a guinea pig.

Edited by Lutz

17 hours ago, Lutz said:

In England, Mrs 'at and I did not get a choice. We both had the Astra Zeneca with very mild side effects, sore arms for a day, for the first one and no effects at all with the second. I have no idea how effective the different vaccines are compared one to another. I personally feel that the only way out of this situation is to "beat" the virus by getting everyone vaccinated but do I agree with compulsory vaccination??? To be brutally honest, only as a last resort. Tin hat on and expecting flak!